Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genie+ launches 12/8. Cmon everybody, here we gooooooo!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stormy View Post

I feel the same way. I have a great time at WDW and it is fun and very 'Disney'. But Disneyland has that special magic that turns me into a child again. I'm sure it's because it's so bound up in our childhood memories.
    A lot has been written about the various commonalities and differences between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Different people will probably come to different conclusions based on which one they grew up visiting. I love them both, but objectively Disneyland is the original and Magic Kingdom is a copy. Walt never set foot inside the Magic Kingdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

A lot has been written about the various commonalities and differences between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Different people will probably come to different conclusions based on which one they grew up visiting. I love them both, but objectively Disneyland is the original and Magic Kingdom is a copy. Walt never set foot inside the Magic Kingdom.
      I'm sure that people who 'grew up' at WDW feel the same magic we feel at Disneyland. They don't really know any better. 😆
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I agree......differences between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom
        Is that grew up with Disneyland in my back.
        As you say other's will probably come to different conclusions and that OK......
        But there History knowing Walt present was at Disneyland ,and that were Disney Parks was born!
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Monday's Micechat Disneyland Update includes a report about the ongoing Lighting Lane debacle, and a poll:

"Because Lightning Lane guests must be accommodated quickly, it can cause massive inflation of standby wait times as the Lightning Lane breezes onto the ride endlessly with very few standby guests accommodated. Earlier this week, Space Mountain had a 4-hour wait on an otherwise fairly uncrowded night as a result of an influx of returning Lightning Lane users (same day park reservations were still available day-of, so the park wasn’t busy). We asked a Cast Member if the sign and the app were correct and we were told that standby was moving very slowly as they accommodated Lightning Lane guests. Obviously, we didn’t get in line, but that didn’t stop many other guests from still joining the standby.

"Even attractions that would usually be a walk-on or a short wait have recently gained long queues due to Genie suggestions and Lightning Lane overflow. Astro Orbitor now frequently has a 45+ minute wait. For something like a basic spinner ride, I personally wouldn’t wait more than 15 minutes but many other guests are being forced into these lines because the queues at the Lightning Lane attractions are now insane and they need somewhere else to go. Those Lightning Lane attractions are park staples, mind you, the very attractions people come to the resort to ride. So the question now is, has Genie made a day at Disneyland less enjoyable?"

Is Lightning Lane making the Disneyland experience better or worse?

Lightning Lane is making Disneyland less enjoyable..... 82%

Lightning Lane is making the Disneyland experience better..... 6%

Not Sure..... 12%

As of this posting, the poll had 2,505 votes.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

• I hold my hand up that maths, probabilities, and statistics are not my forte.

What is it about LL that is inflating waits so much more than MP and FP did? I don't get it.

In the 'Before Times', people could get multiple FP for a ride and had two 'avenues' to get them (MP or FP). With LL you can only use it ONCE per ride and there is no free pass option. I'd think only having a paid option + 1 pass per ride would reduce the number of people using return passes.

Plus, on a given day in the 'Before Times' you had a certain number of people paying for MP as well as a certain number of people pulling 'free' FPs. I wouldn't think the total number of people paying for and using LL now would be so many more than the total of MP + FP users back then that it would significantly change the wait times from what is was previously. Plus back then you could pull unlimited passes, now you can only pull (IIRC) 19. One per ride.

ELI5, please.
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• My headaches with Genie+ originate from just an overall branding standpoint.

I would've loved MaxPass to simply return and everything stay the same pre-pandemic in this regard. My family calls it FastPass and it will stay this way probably forever. The app is SO confusing and my family is tech-savvy. Why not just keep MaxPass and FastPass branding, and add a MaxPass+ for those E-Ticket rides you want to charge for? It just feels dumb to recreate the wheel there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Is Lightning Lane making the Disneyland experience better or worse?

Lightning Lane is making Disneyland less enjoyable..... 82%

Lightning Lane is making the Disneyland experience better..... 6%

Not Sure..... 12%

As of this posting, the poll had 2,505 votes.
                As I share before......
                I know most Theme Parks cross the country........
                Have now PAY cut-in line service
                IMO
                I still against them........

When Fast Pass came out
                I knew it would end up being - PAY -Money Grab-
                Eagleman
                Lord of the Sky
                Last edited by Eagleman; 01-19-2022, 07:50 PM.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I hold my hand up that maths, probabilities, and statistics are not my forte.

What is it about LL that is inflating waits so much more than MP and FP did? I don't get it.

In the 'Before Times', people could get multiple FP for a ride and had two 'avenues' to get them (MP or FP). With LL you can only use it ONCE per ride and there is no free pass option. I'd think only having a paid option + 1 pass per ride would reduce the number of people using return passes.

Plus, on a given day in the 'Before Times' you had a certain number of people paying for MP as well as a certain number of people pulling 'free' FPs. I wouldn't think the total number of people paying for and using LL now would be so many more than the total of MP + FP users back then that it would significantly change the wait times from what is was previously. Plus back then you could pull unlimited passes, now you can only pull (IIRC) 19. One per ride.

ELI5, please.
                  A major factor is probably the ratio of each type of guest allowed through the turnstiles at each ride. If CMs are instructed, as has been alleged on this site, to let through Genie+ guests as they come in that means the steady stream of returns can make the standby line sit and stagnate for way too long. The ratio was likely different with FP and therefore things ran smoother.

The other issue may be the suggestions that Genie makes. Who knows how many guests are following the App's planning, but if they are it seems based off of reviews that those plans, to be blunt, horrendous. Based on everything I have read there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason for Genie's suggestions other than "avoiding wait times." I have seen reviews that constantly told the guest to go to The Bakery Tour at rope drop and throughout the morning, or to rope drop Mr. Toad. This may be artificially pushing crowds into areas they may not have otherwise been, or do things that they may not have done. Hence we get a 45 minute wait for Astro Orbiter, something guests before may have skipped.

The weird and all over the place suggested wait times may also come into play. If Space Mountain reads 4 hours, the average guest just using the app and not understanding the queues will almost certainly go somewhere else, leaving major attractions with longer lines because of Genie+ but with fewer actual people in them, meaning those people are now at other "less popular" attractions clogging those lines up.

Comment

I hold my hand up that maths, probabilities, and statistics are not my forte.

Are the waits really that much longer? I look at the posted wait times in the app very frequently and I don't see a ton of difference between now, a year ago with no Fastpass, or 2019 with Fastpass. This is just an eye test and not really representative data, but I'm not seeing a major shift.

I typically see Space Mountain as the bellwether of wait times and it's usually around 60 minutes. Right now as of 2:00 Thursday afternoon the wait time is 65 minutes. Indy is 50 minutes and Rise of the Resistance is 40 minutes (usually has waits around 75).

I haven't been to the parks in three years, so my on the ground experience is pretty old. Have many people experienced longer than posted wait times? I would generally have thought that there would be a better incentive for Disney to over-inflate the wait times to push more people into Genie+.

Comment

• I would use "Lines," a free app from Touring Plans, to try to get impartial wait times to use to make decisions.

sailor310
                      MiceChatter
                      Last edited by sailor310; 01-20-2022, 02:17 PM.
                      Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Are the waits really that much longer? I look at the posted wait times in the app very frequently and I don't see a ton of difference between now, a year ago with no Fastpass, or 2019 with Fastpass. This is just an eye test and not really representative data, but I'm not seeing a major shift.

I typically see Space Mountain as the bellwether of wait times and it's usually around 60 minutes. Right now as of 2:00 Thursday afternoon the wait time is 65 minutes. Indy is 50 minutes and Rise of the Resistance is 40 minutes (usually has waits around 75).

I haven't been to the parks in three years, so my on the ground experience is pretty old. Have many people experienced longer than posted wait times? I would generally have thought that there would be a better incentive for Disney to over-inflate the wait times to push more people into Genie+.
                        IDK, I haven't been since 2018. I was going off the MiceChat update saying that wait times were really bad (citing 4 hours for SM on a 'low-ish' crowd day) AND other people's reports of same on this and other forums.

Maybe part of people saying the waits are terrible is that so many of us were so used to MaxPass (and knew how to work it) that we really never paid that much attention to how long the lines were because we were MP-ing the 'big' rides without really checking the standby times. I know BFF and I didn't pay much attention to wait times because we didn't have to walk to the ride 1st to pull a pass. We just looked at MP and chose based on the return times without paying attention to the wait times. We really only paid attention to non-MP ride wait times.

Comment

• Found wait times lag behind actually, much like traffic sig alerts. Especially if ride breaking down, paused, restarting. One day was at rope drop for DCA. Wanted to ride Radiator Springs Racers before Genie+ started. It was not working. Did Toy Story Mania, checked RSR wait times: stated 90 Minutes, decided to wait anyways. Timed it , 40 minutes…even with groups “testing” Genie+.
                          side note: MK could join 1 year D23 , with added perk of free Genie+ For one day. I opted out .
                          With rise of resistance , wait times average 90 minutes up to 120 minutes on Disney app . Closer to its closing time at 8pm, times appear shorter.
                          Except at rope drop, wait times seem shorter early afternoon, and becoming busier by 5pm.

Comment

• Here is a positive review of Genie+ from Disney Food Blog hosted by Molly McCormack,
                            who said it's better at Disneyland than it is at WDW.

I linked the video and shared 2 screenshots from the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkrqshRUZXc

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 10.37.54 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	405.0 KB ID:	8654071 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 10.52.41 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	147.4 KB ID:	8654072

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X