Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

This is comparing apples and oranges.
    Every full time employee who didn't come back is being replaced by part time employees. As a result it won't be long before Disney can brag they have more Cast Members than before the pandemic began. More Cast Members all working Less Hours and for No Benefits.

I expect them to reach 40,000 Cast Members as the new target headcount, with over 90% of them being part time. And those 40,000 Cast Members collectively will work 20% fewer total labor hours compared to the Pre pandemic period as the park continues to move to skeleton crew staffing at world class resort prices.

This is the strategy that has made retail and restaurant jobs so terrible to work in. Those industries have moved to all part time work. The idea is not only to cut benefit costs to offset wage increases, but the slick consulting firms that show up to the quarterly board meeting for $1 Million with a canned PowerPoint presentation will sell the executive team that this makes for a more competitive, high performing workforce. They will all be hungry for hours and create a competition for shifts where the supervisor can theoretically select only the best performers. If you aren't as productive as the rest then your hours get cut. And you don't have to worry about not finding enough people for the higher headcount because they're peddling this same poison to everyone else in the industry so everyone is looking for that second or third job. It's like the Hunger Games, but the workers are actually starving to death trying to make ends meet with three dead end jobs. Try to work your way up at one job by taking on a greater role and maybe getting a few more hours and you wind up having to take less hours at job #2 possibly putting that job in jeopardy - ultimately amounting to a pay cut which discourages anyone to try to move up due to the sacrifice required. Make it sicker - the consultants sell the idea that this part time workforce will happily work two or three jobs and might actually help import best practices from other companies! All of this toxicity is music to Chapek's ears.
    ​​​​​​
    Welcome to Chapekland, USA where you make less so the company can make more.
    ​​​​​​
    I am sure you know so Cast Member's or maybe are even one yourself,who knows. Otherwise you’re just making up stuff. However whoever you know is having a vastly different experience than the Cast Members I know where there is no lack of overtime right now.

Also when Disney laid off hourly Cast it was almost exclusively part time Cast while almost all full time Cast kept their employment. This is a huge part of the reason for hiring part time cast. Disney has always had a mix of full time and part time Cast and will always need a mix of them to effectively staff the park. This idea they are going to go to a mostly part time Cast is not real.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post

I am sure you know so Cast Member's or maybe are even one yourself,who knows. Otherwise you’re just making up stuff. However whoever you know is having a vastly different experience than the Cast Members I know where there is no lack of overtime right now.

Also when Disney laid off hourly Cast it was almost exclusively part time Cast while almost all full time Cast kept their employment. This is a huge part of the reason for hiring part time cast. Disney has always had a mix of full time and part time Cast and will always need a mix of them to effectively staff the park. This idea they are going to go to a mostly part time Cast is not real.
      Union contracts generally specify how much of their work force must be Full Time. Disney has the option of making more Full Time, but they don't have to. And you can bet they don't.

OT is handed out on a seniority basis, but it is cheaper to extend a part timer than a full timer, as a PT CM may not have hit that 8 hour day/40 hour week mark and so doesn't have to be paid time and a half.

"This idea they are going to go to a mostly part time Cast" is something Disney would dearly love to do, but is contractually prevented. But you bet your mouse ears they are going to get as close as they can to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

Union contracts generally specify how much of their work force must be Full Time. Disney has the option of making more Full Time, but they don't have to. And you can bet they don't.

OT is handed out on a seniority basis, but it is cheaper to extend a part timer than a full timer, as a PT CM may not have hit that 8 hour day/40 hour week mark and so doesn't have to be paid time and a half.

"This idea they are going to go to a mostly part time Cast" is something Disney would dearly love to do, but is contractually prevented. But you bet your mouse ears they are going to get as close as they can to it.
        It is handed out on a seniority basis and offered to full time first then it goes down the list. So if FTs take it then they take it. If not then PT, takes it. They aren’t taking away hours for FT cast to give more to part time cast. The definition of overtime is either over 40 hours for the week or more than 8 hours per day.

Comment

It is handed out on a seniority basis and offered to full time first then it goes down the list. So if FTs take it then they take it. If not then PT, takes it. They aren’t taking away hours for FT cast to give more to part time cast. The definition of overtime is either over 40 hours for the week or more than 8 hours per day.
          You're not understanding how it works.

They make as many FT CMs as they have to. The rest are PT. If a new position is created, it will be PT unless the contract requires it.

So yes, Disney is going to make PT if at all possible.

Comment

Not a Cast Member, but I know the consulting firms they've hired to cut costs. It's literally the same firm that resells the same message to retailers everywhere - they help them get out from under union requirements and move to 90% or more part time positions, with a goal of all non management and non supervisory positions being part time. They sell it as installing a high performance culture in the company where everyone has to fight for their labor hours. It is very real. The businesses continue to find ways to walk all over the unions. The big three union grocery chains in SoCal have yet to be stopped when they announce a store closure where they've sold the lease to a non union store that will take over the building. Two Albertsons in my town have gone this way in the last year, all the union employees lost their jobs unless they accepted whatever was available at another location (force down to PT usually), and the replacement stores never even opened. But you don't see a picket line up at Albertsons for this clear union busting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

You're not understanding how it works.

They make as many FT CMs as they have to. The rest are PT. If a new position is created, it will be PT unless the contract requires it.

So yes, Disney is going to make PT if at all possible.
              Yeah I get that, but that has nothing to do with overtime. The only time any business offers overtime is when there is more demand than the amount of workforce they have and decide they want to pay the extra money to cover the workforce shortcomings. If there is no overtime that means they are staffed adequately according to the company guidelines for staffing.

Comment

Not a Cast Member, but I know the consulting firms they've hired to cut costs. It's literally the same firm that resells the same message to retailers everywhere - they help them get out from under union requirements and move to 90% or more part time positions, with a goal of all non management and non supervisory positions being part time. They sell it as installing a high performance culture in the company where everyone has to fight for their labor hours. It is very real. The businesses continue to find ways to walk all over the unions. The big three union grocery chains in SoCal have yet to be stopped when they announce a store closure where they've sold the lease to a non union store that will take over the building. Two Albertsons in my town have gone this way in the last year, all the union employees lost their jobs unless they accepted whatever was available at another location (force down to PT usually), and the replacement stores never even opened. But you don't see a picket line up at Albertsons for this clear union busting.
                It’s odd that their non union hourly areas aren’t 90% part time then. As there are quiet a few of those departments.

Comment

THIS IS TRUE........and I seen it ,in many other Business,
                  and I it happening as well at Disney as well .... !
                  Good Post-IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

[FONT=Verdana]​​​​​​​Just got back from the park a couple of hours ago. It was a crowded disaster. Three of the attractions went 101 while we were in the queue or on the attraction itself. Cast members successfully righted the ship in each case but while watching them, it was apparent that a higher authority had to be called in to rectify things. The restaurants are all geared for the app ordering system with ample staff waiting around to serve that part of the business while the standby ordering staff were deluged with lines snaking out the doors. It seems that management wants to force the guests to enjoy the Magic Kingdom through their phones. Not one of the cast members that we dealt with was over the age of 25 (and I'm being generous.The Haunted Mansion is always plussed by the cast members who keep in character. All that we saw were very young cast members barking orders like lifeguards at a kiddie pool.

This is Christmas week, one of the parks busiest times, and it should be all hands on deck for the throngs of the unwashed. What we experienced were mis-staffed attractions and restaurants. Disney was known for superior and well trained customer service. These poor kids are being thrown out there as warm bodies and nothing more. I feel sorry for them.
                    Disney's upper crust should be ashamed for what they are doing to both their guests and cast members.

Needless to say, we will not be visiting again for a very long time.
                    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by gomezaddams View Post
                      [FONT=Verdana]Just got back from the park a couple of hours ago. It was a crowded disaster. Three of the attractions went 101 while we were in the queue or on the attraction itself. Cast members successfully righted the ship in each case but while watching them, it was apparent that a higher authority had to be called in to rectify things. The restaurants are all geared for the app ordering system with ample staff waiting around to serve that part of the business while the standby ordering staff were deluged with lines snaking out the doors. It seems that management wants to force the guests to enjoy the Magic Kingdom through their phones. Not one of the cast members that we dealt with was over the age of 25 (and I'm being generous.The Haunted Mansion is always plussed by the cast members who keep in character. All that we saw were very young cast members barking orders like lifeguards at a kiddie pool.

This is Christmas week, one of the parks busiest times, and it should be all hands on deck for the throngs of the unwashed. What we experienced were mis-staffed attractions and restaurants. Disney was known for superior and well trained customer service. These poor kids are being thrown out there as warm bodies and nothing more. I feel sorry for them.
                      Disney's upper crust should be ashamed for what they are doing to both their guests and cast members.

Needless to say, we will not be visiting again for a very long time.
                      Like I said. These are the results of trying to run the parks like a store at a shopping mall. Nobody ever thought any of these things could happen, and they already have before anyone can even order the 2nd Anniversary cake for Bob. And he has just gotten started on the road to penny pinching destruction. This is only the beginning.

Chapek's background is the retail and consumer product side. So he hires retail consultants to tell him how to run the parks on retail type payroll. Payroll is accounted for as a percentage of sales, and to give you an idea the typical store runs on a fraction of the payroll Disney parks operate on. These are easy to find facts if you know how to read an annual report. (By the way - do you know who the lowest payroll retailer in America is? It's actually Costco - despite the reputation of high wages and benefits - they pay less per sales dollar than anyone else!)

Last time Disney had a retail guy running the parks it was former Gap CEO Pressler, and it was an unmitigated disaster that took half a decade to rectify.

Now it's Chapek, another retail guy.

And when you measure Pressler against Chapek, all I can say is this: today you can go shop at the Gap at your local mall. Can't say the same for the Disney Store.

Not sure how Chapek has "failed up" through the organization to CEO when he couldn't even keep the doors open on his own division.

​​​​​​It's going to be a really bumpy ride until Wall Street runs him off the road. Then it's going to take an awful lot of effort to get those part time kids to clean up their workspaces...
                      ​​​​​​
                      And it's only going to get worse when the best cast members start to realize that they can be paid $25/hour or more at their neighborhood Amazon delivery hub with full time benefits and work the schedule of their choice. This so called labor shortage is really a mass hire by Amazon as their model suddenly shifts from million Sq ft warehouses in the inland empire to delivery hubs all over urban areas. They're literally exploding all over OC, taking over dilapidated closed stores and warehouses. Each one hires hundreds of people at full time - and each of those folks was probably working two or three part time jobs or one underpaid full time. They can go work at Amazon close to home, buy a Dream Key to visit the park and still take home more money on every check. And they don't have to show up two hours before their shift starts to take a bus to a costume change facility then walk to their assigned place unpaid​​​​​​.

Someone in another post said it would be nice if Disney gave up and sold the parks to the Oriental Land Company. I'm starting to think it's a much better outcome than Chapekland.
                      ClownLoach
                      MiceChatter
                      Last edited by ClownLoach; 12-23-2021, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Road to penny pinching destruction.
                        Someone in another post said it would be nice if Disney gave up and sold the parks to the Oriental Land Company. I'm starting to think it's a much better outcome than Chapekland.
                        X2 I AGREEimo

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Talking from experience, surrounding areas are not that cheaper, and once you are off the grid you are basically trading off the cost of rent for the cost of your commute, and also sacrificing valuable off time with time in traffic.

It’s very much “choose your poison” when it comes to living in CA (I don’t completely hate it, but starting out was tough).
                          Oh I fully understand that, I have friends that moved to CA for the California lifestyle but they had to greatly downgrade their living situation in order to do it. I guess it becomes what you think is worth it. I Definitely would not be trying to live off a frontline Disneyland workers wages.
                          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

Oh I fully understand that, I have friends that moved to CA for the California lifestyle but they had to greatly downgrade their living situation in order to do it. I guess it becomes what you think is worth it. I Definitely would not be trying to live off a frontline Disneyland workers wages.
                            I Agree.......I feel the MOUSE is not worth it!
                            IMO
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X