Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Starcruiser Hotel in possible crisis?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nostalgic
    MiceChatter
    nostalgic

I hear you. Especially looking at what some cruise ships do today with those robotic bartenders, this seems like such a logical theme experience to do something similar and make it look like a SW droid.

Even the Book of Boba Fett, they have a droid that looks like Rex from Star Tours in those bar scenes. It would be cool having a experience being able to have a conversation with a droid bartender.

I also wish, even though it would be late at night, if they had moved the SW: GE ‘excursion’ to after when the park closed to regular day guests and then those attending this SW LARPing experience could have had a more exclusive time in GE at night (say 11p - 2a) with ERT on RotR and SM, plus doing optional activities / ‘missions’ like Rebel- themed scavenger hunts, storytelling experiences, etc. Since SW offers a variety of aliens characters, Disney could also use many of the same LARPing performers for different roles during the GE nighttime excursion using masks and/or limited facial prosthetics.

Imagine being around a temporary bonfire in front of the Millennium Falcon in a nearly empty GE at night hearing a Jedi storyteller performer sharing stories on adventures they lived through, such as a duel with Darth Vader.

Or imagine in a nearly empty GE at night having a lighted obstacle course you get to compete with other Star Cruiser to race your newly created droids through.

Or getting called to join a ‘secret’ rebel mission meeting nearly the RotR and hearing the performers discuss plans to continue the battle with the First Order, which details could the apply to the next day on the Star Cruiser.

I really hope this LARPing concept does not just fail and is given a chance to succeed (unlike what happen with the Aladdin’s Oasis dinner show at DL or the Disney Institute concept Disney tried at WDW in the mid-1990’s.

I also hope Universal Creative is taking notes. Something like this LARPing experience themed to the Wizarding World could be really amazing in the future post-Epic Universe expansion in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post
      nostalgic
      MiceChatter
      nostalgic

I hear you. Especially looking at what some cruise ships do today with those robotic bartenders, this seems like such a logical theme experience to do something similar and make it look like a SW droid.

>>>Oh my goodness, there are robotic bartenders on cruise ships?!?! I have got to look that up on youtube

Even the Book of Boba Fett, they have a droid that looks like Rex from Star Tours in those bar scenes. It would be cool having a experience being able to have a conversation with a droid bartender.

>>>This made me think of the Michael Sheen character from "Passengers". I used to want to go on a cruise pre-covid (I grew up watching "The Love Boat"), but now covid and Norovirus has me a little disgusted...downer.

I also wish, even though it would be late at night, if they had moved the SW: GE ‘excursion’ to after when the park closed to regular day guests and then those attending this SW LARPing experience Yes!!!!!!!! THIS!! Disney, are you listening! THIS would start to approach a $6000 experience.
      could have had a more exclusive time in GE at night (say 11p - 2a) with ERT on RotR and SM, plus doing optional activities / ‘missions’ like Rebel- themed scavenger hunts, storytelling experiences, etc. Since SW offers a variety of aliens characters,

......Why doesn't Disney listen to people like you??? They are so greedy not to want to pay the actors that this would involve; however, THIS WOULD BE A FUN job and would attract young people like the college program used to. How much did they used to pay the actors in the Adventurer's Club? (Boo that they shut that down).

Comment

• Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post

A claim was made about "the public." I am challenging this claim based on the fact that a large sampling of SW fans did not respond in the same way. If you have evidence for your point, I am happy to reconsider my position. As has been pointed out in this thread more than once, ROTR continues to be a draw on both coasts. This also seems to go against the idea that 90% of the public only considers the OT as SW. To reiterate, I'm not saying a ST land was necessarily the best idea, but neither is it a complete failure based on the lack of OT content. Galaxy's Edge should be judged on how well it accomplishes its own goals of being an immersive world, rather than being graded on how it serves a given individual's preference for the OT.

if people thought they were going to see OT characters in a land that was specifically advertised as being based on the sequel timeline, at a certain point, that's kinda on them.

ETA: I'm fairly certain a good chunk of the MCU audience isn't necessarily 100% versed in every twist that happens in the comics...The MCU makes too much to be profiting off only people who read comics growing up. I am not so much assuming everyone to be well versed in SW, quite the opposite. I think most folks in the general public see SW as a media franchise the same way as the MCU. People will go see the latest Marvel movie because it's a Marvel movie. The general public are definitely not the ones griping about Luke in TLJ or Snoke's backstory. Why is it assumed that the "casual fan" is only into the OT? I don't think Iger was wrong when he said he didn't want folks to see the new movies and wonder why that wasn't in the parks. That's the the casual fan.

First, the OP is referring to the "Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Hotel", not "Galaxy's Edge" (commonly referred to "Star Wars Land").

Obviously, you are very passionate about this and are very hung up on my unsubstantiated claim of 90% (obviously hyperbole). I'm sure, if I so inclined and wanted to find supporting data that "most" people regard OT as "Star Wars", I'm sure I could. However, I haven't the time, or the inclination (or care for that matter) to do so.

Secondly, it pretty much doesn't matter what demographic (or percentile) you want to pick, because the way things are stacking up, SW:GS Hotel is looking more and more like a failure and being rejected by all demographics.

Going out on a limb here, but I think it proves my point. I would also venture to say, without any PhD data (or a 3500 word dissertation) to support my claim, that IF SW:GS Hotel reflected more of the SW:OT (with a spattering of crossover Prequel and Sequel content), instead of a glorified "Battlestar Galactica" cruise ship, it would be an anticipated concept and accepted by the masses.

Ironically, from the Marketing of it, SW:GS resembles neither the OT, PT, ST.

In any case, I've spent way too much time on this topic that I care too.
        stovk
        Old School Disney
        Last edited by stovk; 01-12-2022, 07:40 AM.
        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
        WDW Trips: '81
        EPCOT Trips: '93
        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

• Originally posted by stovk View Post

First, the OP is referring to the "Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Hotel", not "Galaxy's Edge" (commonly referred to "Star Wars Land").
          Ok, go reply that to everyone else who mentioned GE in the thread....As the Starcruiser is an extension of the Star Wars expansion, reception to GE in general strikes me as relevant, particularly if the argument pertains to the drawing ability of the ST. If you don't think so, more power to you.

Obviously, you are very passionate about this and are very hung up on my unsubstantiated claim of 90% (obviously hyperbole). I'm sure, if I so inclined and wanted to find supporting data that "most" people regard OT as "Star Wars", I'm sure I could. However, I haven't the time, or the inclination (or care for that matter) to do so.
          So, no evidence, completely made up claim? Got it.

Secondly, it pretty much doesn't matter what demographic (or percentile) you want to pick, because the way things are stacking up, SW:GS Hotel is looking more and more like a failure and being rejected by all demographics.

Going out on a limb here, but I think it proves my point. I would also venture to say, without any PhD data (or a 3500 word dissertation) to support my claim, that IF SW:GS Hotel reflected more of the SW:OT (with a spattering of crossover Prequel and Sequel content), instead of a glorified "Battlestar Galactica" cruise ship, it would be an anticipated concept and accepted by the masses.
          hypothetical concept is hypothetical and does not "prove your point." One could just as easily say that the project would have been better received if they had gone all out and not cut corners. Selling out the first three months immediately based on CONCEPT ART (at the announced price!) does not exactly show a lack of demand or interest. That the cancellations started rolling in after we all learned more about the project actually undercuts your assertions (which you also cannot back with anything approaching evidence).

JLee1226
          MiceChatter
          Last edited by JLee1226; 01-16-2022, 11:08 AM.
          Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

Comment

• Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post

Ok, go reply that to everyone else who mentioned GE in the thread....As the Starcruiser is an extension of the Star Wars expansion, reception to GE in general strikes me as relevant, particularly if the argument pertains to the drawing ability of the ST. If you don't think so, more power to you.
            The thread's title "Disney Starcruiser Hotel in possible crisis?" and that is what I am commenting on. If others want to interject a discussion about GE, that's on them and there is another thread for that.

Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post
            That the cancellations started rolling in after we all learned more about the project actually undercuts your assertions (which you also cannot back with anything approaching evidence).
            I'm not understanding your point. What's undercutting my assertions? The fact that the Hotel does not resemble anything remotely to what SW fans are expecting? I think that makes my point. Just about every critique/review/complaint about the Hotel follows the same theme; it looks like a cheap generic Star Trek set (I actually used the term "Spaceballs")
            stovk
            Old School Disney
            Last edited by stovk; 01-16-2022, 02:27 PM.
            “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
            WDW Trips: '81
            EPCOT Trips: '93
            Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

• QUICK!

Get the Oriental Land Co. leaders (& some of the best Tokyo Disney cast members), Disney Cruise LInes leaders (& some of their best cast members),

Along with an all-volunteer, time travelin' all-star team:

--Michael Eisner & Frank Wells from 1993

--a bunch of the best CMs from WDW from the 1970s

--Joe Rhode, who will pick a dozen of the best Imagineers of all time

--Mary Blair to help create a magical kids' experience

--Admiral Joe Fowler to supervise construction along with his assistants, Matt Ouimet & Vince Lombardi to help motivate the cast

--The Universal team who created the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando

--And Walt Disney from around 1964 to lead it all. (Walt, put aside the World's Fair, Disney World, Mary Poppins PoTC & the Haunted Mansion.)

. . . with a budget of an additional (we've gotta challenge them) 90 million and a new opening date of July 17, 2022.

Hell, as long as I'm bringin' Walt back from 1964, let's bring McCartney back from 1965, '66, or '67 to write music for this with Lennnon, George Martin, John Williams, Mozart & Beethoven.

Then MAYBE this could be saved.

I actually hope that those who splurge on staying at this hotel in 2022 & beyond will have a wonderful time,
              but if this were an independent project in its current state, I'd feel uncomfortable if I were an investor in it.

And here's a more serious suggestion:
              Disney, donate MANY spots for this experience to Make-a-Wish families & hire enough qualified CMs to make it amazing for them.

--Tom Sinsky / Jcruise86
              jcruise86
              former CM
              Last edited by jcruise86; Yesterday, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stovk View Post
                I'm not understanding your point. What's undercutting my assertions? The fact that the Hotel does not resemble anything remotely to what SW fans are expecting? I think that makes my point. Just about every critique/review/complaint about the Hotel follows the same theme; it looks like a cheap generic Star Trek set (I actually used the term "Spaceballs")
                you claimed: "that IF SW:GS Hotel reflected more of the SW:OT...it would be an anticipated concept and accepted by the masses."

The fact that the Starcruiser immediately sold out the first four (not three as I said above) months at a price point that most everyone thought was ridiculous, and did so COMPLETELY SIGHT UNSEEN, would seem to indicate that placement in the ST timeline was not an issue. The Starcruiser was an anticipated concept. People only started canceling when it started to become more clear that this was not going to live up to expectations. If there was as much open booking availability on the calendar (as it looks today) when reservations were first opened, you might have a cogent point, that would demonstrate a lack of demand. But that's not what happened.

If the Starcruiser met the expectations set by the concept art, I doubt so many reservations would have been cancelled when it came time to pay up. Would it have been sustainable? I'd cede the point that is an open question in this hypothetical. But for the people who initially booked the hotel solid for 1/3rd of the year, the ST was evidently not a hang up.

​​​​​ETA: Should also be said, "masses" is all relative. A Star Wars LARP hotel is not meant to be just another resort choice in WDW. The hotel, much moreso than the land, is aimed at people who are specifically Star Wars fans. I doubt their business plan for the hotel included capturing guests who might otherwise stay at the Polynesian for a themed experience. The Starcruiser is reported to have around 100 rooms. For reference, Fort Wilderness has 400 cabins, The Polynesian has 492 rooms, the Carribean Resort has about 1,500 rooms, Port Orleans has over 3,000 in total. The guests who stay in Fort Wilderness are probably not the same guests what might otherwise book Grand Floridian, two different niches. Likewise, the folks who book The Starcruiser are almost certainly doing so because it's Star Wars. The opinion of the general public is therefore not as crucial as the opinion of Star Wars fans (most of whom like the ST just fine).
                ​​
                JLee1226
                MiceChatter
                Last edited by JLee1226; Yesterday, 12:05 PM.
                Restore Walt's Disneyland: bring back the Aluminum Hall of Fame!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X