Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Chapek Doesn't Want You to Call Him a Bean Counter

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Bob Chapek Doesn't Want You to Call Him a Bean Counter

    First apologies if someone already posted this, but I didn't see it anywhere.

    Most of us know the luster is fading from Disney ever since the Eisner/Pressler days, and with the advent of Chapek, it has accelerated. For the most part, those observations have been a little inside baseball from the fans.

    Now those critiques of Chapek are appearing in more substantial publications. For example, this was in the Financial Times, Disney’s chief on his war with Netflix, irking the talent and breaking with the past

    Some juicy tidbits:

    "Chapek’s experience running theme parks sets him apart from both his predecessors Bob Iger and Michael Eisner, who started at the bottom of American television and hustled their way to the top. They saw themselves as creative people at heart. But Chapek came into the CEO role as a relative unknown in Hollywood and on Wall Street, despite a nearly 30-year career at Disney that included successful stints running distribution for the Walt Disney Studios and as president of the home entertainment division. By his own description, he has spent his career with his “head down” as he focused on the job at hand. “Chapek is not a visible person,” says Rich Greenfield, an analyst at LightShed Partners."

    It get's better...

    "Perhaps that’s why the talent agents, attorneys, financial analysts and journalists who populate the American entertainment ecosystem tend to view him as a 'parks guy' — an outsider, a number-cruncher, a cost-cutter. A former entertainment executive at Disney adds that Chapek’s reputation inside the company is 'very operational'.

    The notion that he is merely a bean-counter irks Chapek. 'I’ve seen creativity in this company through every lens possible,' he says in an exclusive interview. He compares running the theme parks with observing “a focus group every day” that gave him a unique perspective on “what makes the Walt Disney Company so different from any other media company'. He adds, 'It ties us to our ultimate constituent, which is the consumer.'
    "

    Love it!
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

    DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

  • #2
    If he doesn't want us to call him a bean counter, I imagine he would like us to call him an idiot even less........even though both are, in my opinion, true

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by micromind View Post
      If he doesn't want us to call him a bean counter, I imagine he would like us to call him an idiot even less........even though both are, in my opinion, true
      as
      I watching
      A Christmas Carol(George C. Scott) as Ebenezer Scrooge-

      It's more entertaining - Chapek imo about same story !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #4
        That article was a interesting read

        Comment


        • #5
          The irony is that he is called a "parks guy". He is in no way a parks guy. He has consistently debased the experience. No meaningful innovations, ride development, etc. No gamechanging new rides or shows or entertainment.

          He IS a bean counter. He had a perfect opportunity to show creative skills with SW:GE, instead, he CUT all the show elements in favor of trinket sales. He needs to OWN that. The elements were there, he chose to cut them, no one else. That is the very definition of bean counter.

          Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
          as
          I watching
          A Christmas Carol(George C. Scott) as Ebenezer Scrooge-

          It's more entertaining - Chapek imo about same story !
          Same story indeed!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm annoyed that he is being framed as a " theme park guy". He's not. He comes from a background in merchandise. They could of ran with that, but that wouldn't help with the upcharging backlash.

            Also, he used an analogy of focus grouping to defend himself over the 'bean counter' comment. That my friends, is pure irony.

            Comment


            • #7
              I want to add this extra context that others are picking up on but not directly saying.

              People within the industry are equating him being the "theme park guy" with being a "bean counter" obsessed with the bottom line, and always allocating merchandising over experience. People HERE on the forums, familiar with the parks and operations, aware of the nature of merchandising in the park; the way it has traditionally been the top most layer of experiences, usually catching tourists and once-in-a-lifetime guests, but being entirely "optional" and avoidable by locals and fans.

              A part of the problem, at least in my eyes, is that, obviously, the vast majority, if not the entirety of the industry aren't those fans? And for as long as I can remember, throughout my entire childhood, countless TV shows, cartoons, comedy skits, books, comics, real life conversations, etc. The "joke" has ALWAYS been that Disney, and every other theme park is pure merchandising. And even if we know that's not true, everyone else just kind of doesn't.

              Which leads to the ultimate irony. The Pressler era, and now the Chepak era, are all kind of just realizations of this sentiment. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was almost "willed into existence," but it certainly feels like just the constant repeatition of that sentiment has "welcomed" what we're seeing now.

              Chepak IS a bean counter. A number man. He'e also the embodiment of the theme park stereotype, and we know that him living up to that "expectation" is hurting the theme park experience. And the weird twist is that the same people who have apparently called him "the theme park guy" are also able to see that he's hurting the theme parks.
              SkunkID
              Entity of Chaos
              Last edited by SkunkID; 12-26-2021, 01:17 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SkunkID View Post
                I want to add this extra context that others are picking up on but not directly saying.

                People within the industry are equating him being the "theme park guy" with being a "bean counter" obsessed with the bottom line, and always allocating merchandising over experience. People HERE on the forums, familiar with the parks and operations, aware of the nature of merchandising in the park; the way it has traditionally been the top most layer of experiences, usually catching tourists and once-in-a-lifetime guests, but being entirely "optional" and avoidable by locals and fans.

                A part of the problem, at least in my eyes, is that, obviously, the vast majority, if not the entirety of the industry aren't those fans? And for as long as I can remember, throughout my entire childhood, countless TV shows, cartoons, comedy skits, books, comics, real life conversations, etc. The "joke" has ALWAYS been that Disney, and every other theme park is pure merchandising. And even if we know that's not true, everyone else just kind of doesn't.

                Which leads to the ultimate irony. The Pressler era, and now the Chepak era, are all kind of just realizations of this sentiment. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was almost "willed into existence," but it certainly feels like just the constant repeatition of that sentiment has "welcomed" what we're seeing now.

                Chepak IS a bean counter. A number man. He'e also the embodiment of the theme park stereotype, and we know that him living up to that "expectation" is hurting the theme park experience. And the weird twist is that the same people who have apparently called him "the theme park guy" are also able to see that he's hurting the theme parks.
                Years ago, the main thing was guest (and viewer) experience first then merch sales would follow.

                These days, it's merch sales first, guest or viewer experience is secondary.

                Either one will make money but putting the guest first will sustain profits while the way it is now will cause people (like me) to eventually abandon the brands that used to treat them well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
                  The irony is that he is called a "parks guy". He is in no way a parks guy. He has consistently debased the experience. No meaningful innovations, ride development, etc. No gamechanging new rides or shows or entertainment.

                  He IS a bean counter. He had a perfect opportunity to show creative skills with SW:GE, instead, he CUT all the show elements in favor of trinket sales. He needs to OWN that. The elements were there, he chose to cut them, no one else. That is the very definition of bean counter.



                  Same story indeed!


                  Indeed
                  Walk like Duck
                  "Quack" like a Duck
                  Must be a "DUCK"-
                  and Chepak is a "Bean Counter"
                  It fits. the mood ............elements were there, he chose to cut them, no one else.
                  That is the very definition, of bean counter.IMO
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                    Walk like Duck
                    "Quack" like a Duck
                    Must be a "DUCK"
                    Yep.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	8452609.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	8652201
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                    - Walt Disney

                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

                    "It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                      Yep.

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	8452609.jpg Views:	7 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	8652201
                      Christmas Carol
                      Bob know him

                      YEP- Scrooge McDuck-
                      A Duck,
                      that a definition of Bean Counter.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If he doesn't want to be called a bean counter, perhaps he should not continue to make the enumeration of legume seeds his most publically visible activity.
                        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wow, the lack of self awareness with this guy is beyond.
                          You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                          It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not only is he a bean counter, he is a very thinned skin one. He won't make it through 2022.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bobby should be so grateful if he thinks being called a bean counter is the worst of it. Among my different Disney fan circles, I’ve heard him called so much more worse that I can’t repost in this family friendly forum, including a funny spin on a old, very blue joke that included some of the late George Carlin’s favorite words 😊

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by stovk View Post
                                ... "[I]Perhaps that’s why the talent agents, attorneys, financial analysts and journalists who populate the American entertainment ecosystem tend to view him as a 'parks guy' — an outsider, a number-cruncher, a cost-cutter. ...
                                What's really sad is that the terms "number-cruncher" and "cost-cutter" are apparently so closely associated with the term "parks guy" within the entertainment ecosystem. I'd argue "parks guy" should be term of endearment or title to be worn proudly. Not so much these days, I guess.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  But none of the other things I would like to call him are family friendly...

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    "Parks guy" he is not........."cost-cutter" he is.............Sad but True !
                                    That is the definition, of "Bean Counter"
                                    IMO
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by stovk View Post
                                      He compares running the theme parks with observing “a focus group every day” that gave him a unique perspective on “what makes the Walt Disney Company so different from any other media company'. He adds, 'It ties us to our ultimate constituent, which is the consumer.'[/I]"
                                      That, you Bean Counter, is your problem. Besides, I thought we were "Guests"?
                                      We need another Walt...and fast!

                                      "It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                      The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

                                        That, you Bean Counter, is your problem. Besides, I thought we were "Guests"?
                                        We our consumer and that were Bob -Bean Counter,come in play !
                                        imo
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X