Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the latest on trams?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

    Well, at the parking garage after reopening all those nice iron dividers were sawed off at the ground. They didn't even clean up the sawed off metal at ground level properly. I think the issue was that one small group would get on and leave empty seat space if the next group was too large to sit in that row. So I wouldn't count on them adding those nice dividers on the DTD side after sawing them down at the structure. It's disappointing that they can't find a better way.
    They won’t put the chutes at the DTD end because the tram stops are used for loading and unloading, unlike the garage end where unloading is in a separate area.

    I wasn’t paying too much attention when I was at the parks earlier this month, but I think I saw the chutes were back at the garage, except for a couple of loading spots in the middle where they funnel everyone past the police dog.

    Comment


    • #42
      Been using Toy Story Lot, since September. Has not been closed during the week, no matter what time I arrive. Sometimes have to go to other entrance. Have not attended on weekends. Did note longer wait times for returning to parking lot on January 6, Bus driver trying to encourage us to join their team. Work shortages everywhere. Feeling it at the hospital I work at.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

        Well, at the parking garage after reopening all those nice iron dividers were sawed off at the ground. They didn't even clean up the sawed off metal at ground level properly. I think the issue was that one small group would get on and leave empty seat space if the next group was too large to sit in that row. So I wouldn't count on them adding those nice dividers on the DTD side after sawing them down at the structure. It's disappointing that they can't find a better way.
        Wow had no idea. How they can mange to keep making so many wrongheaded choices is beyond troubling but at this point but it shouldn't surprise anyone. Nobody is angry if a bench goes empty but I guarantee a family about to board at the end of a long day that gets cut in front of by another group leaves the park a little tarnished.

        They could always go back to actually having CM's there to help control traffic for every coupe of cars but that would entail hiring the proper amount of CM's which Boob Cheapark is vehemently against.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

        Comment


        • #44
          Looking at todays photo update and the tram route maintenance going on really got me wondering what they are doing to the paving. Is it possible Disney is moving past the need for drivers and installing RFID tech to run the trams like Luigi/ROTR cars? instead of a driver and spotter they would only need a spotter for emergency stops. Could they be installing underground Wireless Charging for a potential switch to electric trams? I mean reality is its probably just repaving but its fun to speculate.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
            Looking at todays photo update and the tram route maintenance going on really got me wondering what they are doing to the paving. Is it possible Disney is moving past the need for drivers and installing RFID tech to run the trams like Luigi/ROTR cars? instead of a driver and spotter they would only need a spotter for emergency stops. Could they be installing underground Wireless Charging for a potential switch to electric trams? I mean reality is its probably just repaving but its fun to speculate.
            Another site which shall not be named showed some wiring going in as well. It did look like potential wireless charging. I would speculate that they will reopen with the same equipment, but also start piloting different electric tug vehicles to tow the trams and determine the viability. They needed to switch from asphalt to concrete anyway so it probably was not expensive to add charging wiring at the same time even if it isn't used for quite some time. Same type used in the charging for the Red Car Trolley station at the front of DCA.

            There is a greater movement in California to switch from asphalt in warmer areas. Concrete stays cooler resulting in lower temperatures, and it lasts longer. Plus it doesn't require a new slurry seal every few years like an asphalt road or parking lot does. If you go to Texas for example you'll see almost all parking lots are concrete not asphalt. Starting to see mass concrete pours for parking lots on newer developments locally now. The downside was always lack of flexibility so it cracks if not installed perfectly, but they're much better at doing this today than back when our lousy freeways were first built.

            The cost of implementation for a driverless model capable of driving past other moving or parked vehicles, the tens of thousands of hours of testing required for government approval, etc. would likely make it too expensive to go driverless. If they had single load and unload stations it might be more viable, but the fact that they have multiple options makes it very unlikely that anyone would approve. The state is currently pushing back again on driverless systems outside of internal testing programs and according to last week's news the DMV is investigating Tesla and threatening to make them turn off their "Autopilot" and "Full Self Driving" beta program in California plus ban them from using those names here. If they're unhappy with cars that hold 4 people at this early stage - it's going to be years before they're going to grant approval for trams that carry hundreds.
            ClownLoach
            MiceChatter
            Last edited by ClownLoach; 01-17-2022, 09:13 AM.

            Comment


            • #46
              February 17. That’s what a chatty CM said.. “We we’re told to tell people that February 17th is when the trams will be back … but that’s going to be another mess because everyone will want to ride the tram because it’s been so long since that have ridden it … But I expect they’ll be back a little before they say they’ll be …”

              - reporting live from the Toy Story (ever growing) bus line.
              ‘…We’re short on busses, especially on Sundays… because it’s not our company that runs the busses…’

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by Thumperrrrr View Post
                February 17. That’s what a chatty CM said.. “We we’re told to tell people that February 17th is when the trams will be back … but that’s going to be another mess because everyone will want to ride the tram because it’s been so long since that have ridden it … But I expect they’ll be back a little before they say they’ll be …”

                - reporting live from the Toy Story (ever growing) bus line.
                ‘…We’re short on busses, especially on Sundays… because it’s not our company that runs the busses…’
                IMO
                My understanding
                They have same Issue at WDW
                (ever growing) bus line- and not enough bus's-Long Wait Time
                Sound like cut-back on Disney Part !
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Thumperrrrr View Post
                  February 17. That’s what a chatty CM said.. “We we’re told to tell people that February 17th is when the trams will be back … but that’s going to be another mess because everyone will want to ride the tram because it’s been so long since that have ridden it … But I expect they’ll be back a little before they say they’ll be …”

                  - reporting live from the Toy Story (ever growing) bus line.
                  ‘…We’re short on busses, especially on Sundays… because it’s not our company that runs the busses…’
                  The demand for the trams won’t be any greater than they were before the closure. People are only riding these if they parked their car at the structure, it’s not a ride lol.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    They have been training tram cast members as I have seen the trams running after park closure, I don't have a date but the 17th is as good as any I guess.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by brody999 View Post
                      They have been training tram cast members as I have seen the trams running after park closure, I don't have a date but the 17th is as good as any I guess.
                      I think you are right.........I figure must be a time - training- tram cast members as well .
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                      Comment

                      Get Away Today Footer

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X