Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried what it will be like when we finally return. Are you too?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in the Bay Area and we typically visit once per year. After cancelling due to the park shutdown, I planned a visit for last October, with two OBB parties figuring that would be our best chance at short waits in DCA. We planned a quick three day somewhat local getaway in August right before my daughter went back to school. The morning we were set to leave, i asked my wife and daughter if they wanted to do a quick trip to Disneyland instead, no one was excited for our original plan. Hit the park at the right time, Magic Key was just announced, causing some people to delay visits in order to use tickets towards the Magic Key price (my theory). Local schools were back in session as well, helping with the crowds. We had a blast. First entered DL at 3pm on a Sunday, walked directly to Indy, no lines at any point. Literally walked down the stairs to our choice of seats on a vehicle. Getting food was a bit of a challenge with some services not being open and waits for mobile, but that didn't effect us much due to the low crowds.

Decided to stick with the longer trip in October due to the OBB tickets and a few other factors. In hindsight, should have sold the OBB tickets online or just ate the cost. October was a pretty bad trip. OBB parties were nice, but the rest of the time was a hassle. No parades or shows to help with the crowds, no character meet and greets as well. Restaurants are still not back to capacity (staff and seating) and it was hard to find a seat anywhere because people are staking out spots for their mobile orders. With a lack of the "full experience" to help absorb some of the crowds, people are in the park either waiting for rides, or waiting for food.

Prior to the October trip, I was considering applying our 5 day tickets to a Magic Key, glad I didn't. I don't think its wise to pay for Disney to figure our the reservation system/Genie with time ticking on a pass.

I will probably skip all of 2022 until things settle down a bit more. If there are reports of reduced capacity at restaurants, lack of shows/parades, and other service level reductions, I will have no reason to go back. If we do attempt a trip in 2022, we will avoid holiday season like the plague. October through December has been our go-to months for several years. We've experienced enough of the holiday season to last us quite a while, combined with the issues above it's no longer worth it.

I think Disney is riding the wave of delayed vacations, milking as much profit as they can by providing a bare level of service. Maybe it will take a year or two for the wave to subside. Off peak quick trips for us until then, and possibly not at all.

Comment

I think the way things were in Q1 2020 was as close to tuning things as good as one could. Crowds were only an actual issue for a minority, I did not like crowds but I understood why they happened because DLR was a desirable endeavor worth the price back then. Those that went for the most part enjoyed themselves with minimal complaints when compared to today. I cannot personally fault a crowd, to do so is selfish victim blaming. I do not have any more right a to a gigantic park space designed to express joy and unity then anyone else. When somebody says they do not like crowds that is fine but somebody advocating for pricing people out for the sake of crowd reduction to an entertainment location are basically requesting special treatment at the expense of others. Paying an expense to the provider does not repair that ill will. In essence their greed is showing.

Could DLR have reduced crowds by simply reducing their gate max cap? Totally they already did slightly as the legal cap was higher then the cap they had in place. If they simply wanted to benefit those that made it in each day by lowering crowds with a simple cap change they could have. It would have driven demand through the roof by doing this and nothing else and everyday would sell out year round. The reality that what I and others have been saying for years is that DLR will always keep the park as full as they can, they will never turn people away for the benefit of guests. They only do so when they can make more yield through bull… err business reasons.

FP was an enticement to train guests to need before the inevitable LL would be introduced. All of these programs benefit DLR and a minority of customers at the expense of the majority. FP, MP, and LL should have never happened. These programs are creating a longterm problem that will grow like a cancer to the experience of the park.

We need to stop the hate toward locals. DLR has proven through it’s actions both before Covid and through to the present that the parks can stay running on locals alone and could not on tourists only if needed. Locals also need to embrace the tourists as their mix into the crowds actually brings an positive energy that locals alone cannot pull off.

I also have a hard time believing DLR’s claims of difficulty due to Covid when Knott’s, Universal, Legoland, Sea World etc. all seemingly able to figure things out and all doing so without extreme nickel diming.

We had been AP’s for the 5 years prior to Covid and we went about 12-15x a year and would often stay on site twice a year for special occasions. We had planned on returning up until a couple of weeks after MK’s were announced. We just couldn’t get comfortable signing up with all the delays in getting the park and staff back. Boy are we glad we didn’t buy MK’s now knowing how that program is working out. We also are not seeing a compelling reason to pay $600 for the 4 of us to return for a single day marred with artificially inflated wait times and other things lacking etc. We know cheap park will never change course so we are no longer DLR evangelists and instead are more detractors in our social circles. We are comfortable waiting for the board to finally minimize the damage and send bobby cheap park packing. If and when they do we will then decide if we are still missing the park enough to return. We likely would and would return to spending thousands a year for 12+ visits once we could do so without the stench of being exploited.
      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
        FP was an enticement to train guests to need before the inevitable LL would be introduced. All of these programs benefit DLR and a minority of customers at the expense of the majority. FP, MP, and LL should have never happened. These programs are creating a longterm problem that will grow like a cancer to the experience of the park.
        I agree with you..............
        I have never like -cut in line service
        When Fast Pass came out
        I knew it would end up being - PAY -Money Grab-
        In essence their "Greed" is showing.....in this service and many ,many, other ways
        IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

We need to stop the hate toward locals. DLR has proven through it’s actions both before Covid and through to the present that the parks can stay running on locals alone and could not on tourists only if needed. Locals also need to embrace the tourists as their mix into the crowds actually brings an positive energy that locals alone cannot pull off.
          Please stop, no one hates locals...we are all just pointing out why programs like FP and LL got introduced. Thinking the park is surviving off just locals, when we continue to hear the complaints of the parks direction and prices getting raised all over the place for things like entry, food, souvenirs...is because the resort side has struggled. When money isn't getting spent by people who are on vacation, and it's locals using the park as a hangout and spend very little...that's when prices rise. 10 people spending $1 each or 2 people spending $10 each. And I know that isn't the only reason prices have been on the rise. I just don't see the locals spending the same money as the resort guests/tourists do per trip. Over the entire length of the locals AP...I'm sure they do spend the same, but that means they are all going many more days which leads to LARGER crowds. I think that has been a lot of the back and forth of this thread.

But I also hate that I have to explain that...because I'm not trying to make this one against the other. It's Disney's fault for introducing things like the SoCal pass and making entry so easy and attainable. Which I don't mind that either, because I do believe Disney should be enjoyed by everyone. But at the end of the day we can't complain about wanting less blackout days, less crowding, less wait times, all while wanting to pay discounted prices and not expect that money to get made up for somewhere else...Disney is a business (under Chapek it has been greedier than ever) and going to make money where it can. I 100% agree the Chapek is not the man to run the mouse. He has definitely hurt the park at every step he has taken.

I also have a hard time believing DLR’s claims of difficulty due to Covid when Knott’s, Universal, Legoland, Sea World etc. all seemingly able to figure things out and all doing so without extreme nickel diming.
          Also has to be taken into account that Disney is held at a higher standard because it is the superior park compared to these parks you've mentioned. No where near the same amount of detail and money goes into running Knott's, Legoland, Sea World, and even Universal (though it has closed the gap) as does Disneyland. That's comparing apples to oranges.

At the root of it, you and I want the same things with the Disney that we remember. It's sad that Disney greed has taken a bit of that away.

Comment

Just hope everybody really does their part. And vaccinate as well as realize it is about the health and life of those we love and cherish to really get on board as it has nothing to do with politics. But about right from wrong. Decreasing the cases until they finish for good. Be cautious and knowing everybody needs to be safe and sound.

Comment

waiting for the right time...like so many parents who raised their children on Disneyland trips and vacations, I too had to slow down the trips...and Covid appeared...so with daughter deep into her basketball career at Hart High and maintaining a solid academic record, we probably would have gone to Disneyland less, just waiting for a holiday to return...the only thing I dislike is the reservation system...it doesn't invite you in but makes you stop to reserve a spot...then to make it a staffing instrument, that makes it really close to insulting...we're not supposed to help with running the show...but cooling off a bit, there's some time in June where daughter will not be attending the summer camp for basketball, so that's going to be a target for making a hotel reservation and by June, I should be able to understand the myriad apps now needed to go to Disneyland for a day...
              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X