Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually started noticing the downsizing of the food when I went to DLR when first opened up after the temporary shut down. I was at Café Orleans ordering my usual Monte Cristo sandwich and noticed the portions got dramatically smaller! I was surprised.

But then again, they were big portions to begin with. I used to split Monte Cristo and an order of pommes frites with my fiancé. Now we get our own

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_IvanStark View Post
      I used to split Monte Cristo and an order of pommes frites with my fiancé. Now we get our own
      Disney: Mission Accomplished

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post

Disney: Mission Accomplished
        Pretty Much.

I pack my own lunch now. Checkmate Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

I was ten or so, but I remember it being a great place. I could order a Roy Rogers!
          A Shirley Temple for me, barkeep, and make it a DOUBLE (grenadine).
          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah View Post

Who knows, soon we may have to cook our own food too! Disney will spin it as an "Immersive Culinary Experience".
            And the line will be long but LL+ can get you to a less long line (most the time) for a nominal fee of course.
            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

Get over it. You probably didn't need those "large" portions anyway. (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Click image for larger version

Name:	tinyfood.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	8652990
              ’Effective immediately: Please reduce to only three sausages per plate, synergy!” - Bob Cheapark
              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

’Effective immediately: Please reduce to only three sausages per plate, synergy!” - Bob Cheapark
                "I don't like sausages".....Woe my Portion is really small

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

At WDW, I can completely understand the want to eat in the parks due to location and how it would be a much greater hassle to leave the park temporarily, get to your car, drive away from the park and find a place to eat if not going to Downtown Disney. Disneyland though, there's so many outside options within walking distance that's not on Disney grounds that quite frankly, eating in the park just seems more of a waste than anything else, especially with how sub park the park food is to where you can go to a multitude of eateries within a 10-15 minute walk and find something you're in the mood for for cheaper, less of a crowd, and much higher quantity and equal too or better quality.

Comment

The skimpflation hasn't just hit foods at Disney parks. You no longer get complimentary sleeves with your Savi's custom-built lightsaber. Instead, you get either a plastic bag or have you pay $50 for the premium sleeve in the marketplace.

Savi’s Workshop Custom Lightsabers No Longer Include “Complimentary” Sleeve, Guests Told to Purchase for $50 or Use Plastic Bag

Does anyone know if this has come to DLR, or if it's just at DHS for now? I understand nobody is immune from the supply chain issues, but what rankles me is the response. Disney could have answered the supply chain issues by offering discounts on the free lightsaber and/or free or discounted upgrades to the premium sleeve. Instead, we're told to just accept it and pay the higher price. If this temporary change, like so many others before it, becomes permanent, then I could definitely see a dropoff in purchases or an increase in prices.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                      The skimpflation hasn't just hit foods at Disney parks. You no longer get complimentary sleeves with your Savi's custom-built lightsaber. Instead, you get either a plastic bag or have you pay $50 for the premium sleeve in the marketplace.

Savi’s Workshop Custom Lightsabers No Longer Include “Complimentary” Sleeve, Guests Told to Purchase for $50 or Use Plastic Bag

Does anyone know if this has come to DLR, or if it's just at DHS for now? I understand nobody is immune from the supply chain issues, but what rankles me is the response. Disney could have answered the supply chain issues by offering discounts on the free lightsaber and/or free or discounted upgrades to the premium sleeve. Instead, we're told to just accept it and pay the higher price. If this temporary change, like so many others before it, becomes permanent, then I could definitely see a dropoff in purchases or an increase in prices.
                      Exactly right. That's the vicious cycle of shrinkflation and its downward-spiral cousin, skimpflation. Chapek is an expert at both, but is especially a guru of skimpflation.

From the University of Puget Sound's article "Shrinkflation and Skimpflation"...

"Skimpflation is another way companies shrink their offerings, but instead of shrinking the actual product, companies are skimping on service.... Skimpflation is where we’re paying the same or more for services, but these services are lacking compared with what they used to be. While it is true that companies are struggling to deal with increased costs due to the pandemic, it is also true that companies are intentionally trying to make do with less. Instead of filling employment holes by attracting more candidates with higher wages, many companies are just cutting back on the quality of their service and pushing their existing employees to do more and more, which in turn causes those employees to quit, creating a vicious cycle."

And from the NPR article, "Meet skimpflation"...

"'Customer service is gone at Disney,' says commenter James E. on Facebook. 'It's all about maximizing profit now.'

"It's all about 'GREED,' says Harry Z. 'It has nothing to do with COVID at this point.'"

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                        It's funny people think this is new. In the 1970s, we NEVER ate dinner in the Park. We'd always head out at dinner time to the Jolly Roger. Better service, better food, and drinks to boot.
                        In 2006 & 2007 my toddler daughter & I visited often with our APs, but for our first year there together we brought in a lot of food and ate one meal at Mimi's across Harbor during each visit. It was excellent for the $ & had healthy options--broccoli cooked exactly as I requested. Is Mimi's still good? There were numerous visits where I didn't spend a penny inside the parks.

Random thoughts:

1. We did come to like DCA's Boudin bread bowl meals, and later after Carsland opened we'd carry our bowls to the patio to the south side of Flo's for its excellent views.

2. Our fav. place to eat our own food was on the lower river level of the Hungry Bear -- a great place to get away from it all.

3. We also (again, much later) used Disney Visa reward dollars to eat at the Big Thunder BBQ where we could escape the crowds on crowded days & enjoy all we could eat ribs & chicken drumsticks.

4. The Big Thunder BBQ was so overpriced when it reopened (circa 2009 or 2010?) even by Disney standards, that it's the one time when Disney actually lowered food prices, though they did so pretending it was mostly about a menu change. Funny (to me) story with name dropping: at a Disneyana event at a hotel south of D.land on harbor, the great David Koenig introduced me to a leader of Mouseplanet using my real name, and when I worked the conversation into a rant about the Big Thunder prices, she said, "You're Jcruise86."

5. I thought the Blue Bayou was an excellent value in the old days when contrasted with the mediocre burgers for just a few dollars less at the quick service restaurants. Then around 2010 Disney just about doubled the prices at the Blue Bayou in a pretty short time. I thought fewer people would go, but it remained just as popular. That was a bummer that not even owning some Disney stock could relieve.

6. Speaking of culinary avarice, this photo taken on Main Street is over a decade old. "But they're FRESH!"

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	8653140
                        jcruise86
                        former CM
                        Last edited by jcruise86; 01-08-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

My question is when to portion size reduction ever stop. As we continue to pay employees more and want to keep the prices of food down to paying customers, the portions are made smaller. That is happening everywhere and has been for a long time.
                          "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

Only wdw as of now. It’s not a change, they are out due to supply chain issues. The first day it was full price, they are now offering a 10% discount due to being out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly right. That's the vicious cycle of shrinkflation and its downward-spiral cousin, skimpflation. Chapek is an expert at both, but is especially a guru of skimpflation.

From the University of Puget Sound's article "Shrinkflation and Skimpflation"...

"Skimpflation is another way companies shrink their offerings, but instead of shrinking the actual product, companies are skimping on service.... Skimpflation is where we’re paying the same or more for services, but these services are lacking compared with what they used to be. While it is true that companies are struggling to deal with increased costs due to the pandemic, it is also true that companies are intentionally trying to make do with less. Instead of filling employment holes by attracting more candidates with higher wages, many companies are just cutting back on the quality of their service and pushing their existing employees to do more and more, which in turn causes those employees to quit, creating a vicious cycle."

And from the NPR article, "Meet skimpflation"...

"'Customer service is gone at Disney,' says commenter James E. on Facebook. 'It's all about maximizing profit now.'

"It's all about 'GREED,' says Harry Z. 'It has nothing to do with COVID at this point.'"

Portion Size

TP in the bathroom's is next((()))
                              Eagleman
                              Lord of the Sky
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 01-08-2022, 06:14 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Haven’t been to the parks in a couple of months due to circumstances beyond my control. Appreciate threads as I have not attended the parks in years. prior to recent reopening.
                                Wanted to have Disneyland Christmas experience.

arrived early afternoon for lunch at Lamplight Lounge with hubby, (must of been called by a different name , before? Remember having lunch with all the Disney Princess circulating.
                                Lunch portions appeared generous to me. Salmon sandwich with fries and Chicken ratatouille. Had a few fries. Husband ate the rest. Could not eat all the bun as becoming full. Wanted donuts with dipping sauces. Had a couple. Meal yummy! Enjoyed the view.

Experimented with Disney Genie. purchased Premium pass to RS ($12.00 each) then added LL pass ($40.00 for 2 ,forgot you also have photo pass with this) added Toy Story Mania.
                                At RS, 3 lanes, single rider, LL, regular lane. LL backed and husband wanted to join regular lane. I said let’s wait, and we could do single rider. LL finally moved relatively quickly. There is a ratio for LL and regular. More LL, than regular. We had a single rider added to ours. The SB time was posted at 40 minutes. Took us about half that time.

Toy Story Mania had a wild SB 85 minutes…but did not look that long, as you kind of know how long it will be depending on where you are in line. people moved quickly. Took us about 15 minutes max to the ride. Placed LL for Holiday IASW

walked over to Disneyland through CarLand to view holiday decor. rode holiday themed It’s a Small World. Very cute. Families humming, singing Christmas tunes.
                                Afterwards LL to Smuggler’s Run, but had time to view Evening lighting of IASW and watch Parade. Enjoyed very much!

Made our way to Smuggler’s Run. (Never been) Noting some decor placed for Lunar New Year around Fantasyland. Not much of a wait to enter preamble for ride.
                                it was only 3 in our ride. Seemed like a flight simulator software. Got a little woozy. Hubby prefers to sit back and enjoy a ride….not have to actively participate.

Next LL Haunted Mansion Holiday themed. Had time to sit and recovery from my wooziness. Had water and snack bar I keep in purse. People staking out seats for fireworks at 7pm.
                                ROTR was posted SB 90 minutes, but dropped to 40 minutes! probably close to closing time for ride. Was already over at New Orleans square. So maybe another time. All LL passes were sold out.

LL Haunted Mansion que was again about 15 minutes, so enjoyed the atmosphere, and love the music (chimes) . Ride was having issues. stopping for 5-10 minutes . Moving slow, then back to normal speed, slow, stop a few minutes…etc… but able to do the whole ride. Able to really look at the theming.

went to Main Street for shopping. People sitting all along for fireworks. Bought items , went towards castle to view snowcaps. Ended up at roped off area behind Walt’s statue and saw Castle Lighting. Waited 30 minutes for fireworks. I just love parades and fireworks!. Was not under trees for full snowfall, but some did blow our way. We turn around to see one mass of people behind us…goodness.
                                waited a good 20 minutes afterwards, to make it through more shops before going home.without being a packed sardine in the large crowd.

Restrooms kept clean. In larger ones…like New Orleans Square, seemed to be one person posted inside to service.
                                there appear to be a lead CM directing a smaller group of newer? CMs. Either for crowd control or cleaning /sweeping. People drop the phone rechargers on the ground after done with them.

we parked in Toy Story Lot. Bus driver was pitching for all of us to become bus drivers….as we would never be alone……
                                Enjoyed myself. Crowd fairly mannered. I see cleaning crews everywhere. CM all professional, but can see when they are tired and stress. The parade participants never seemed tired, always smiling a putting on a great show , even at the end of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                  The only thing Bob Chapek cares about is if the guests keep coming back and overpaying for less food, trams, entertainment, whatever. So Bob is going to keep giving them much more of that in as many ways as possible until people say enough of this crap and take their dollars elsewhere. Consumers tell companies how to treat them by how they spend their money. If you don’t like getting the shaft every time you go, you know what you have to do to stop it.
                                  This is my point as well. It just isn't worth it anymore. I can't believe that people put up with this. I mean to each their own but the value just isn't there to me and my family.

At this point, it's just embarrassing. In the circles I'm in, Disney is increasingly perceived as ticky tacky. Low value skimmage against a product for "less discerning" customers.

What ruination Chapek has brought. There is declining perception of quality with the Disney brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

This is my point as well. It just isn't worth it anymore. I can't believe that people put up with this. I mean to each their own but the value just isn't there to me and my family.

At this point, it's just embarrassing. In the circles I'm in, Disney is increasingly perceived as ticky tacky. Low value skimmage against a product for "less discerning" customers.

What ruination Chapek has brought. There is declining perception of quality with the Disney brand.
                                    BINGO-
                                    It is a matter of worth....
                                    But in my book ,I with you......and family.

Enjoy Life other than Today Disney.......

For-sure -not $-CHAPEKLAND_$
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Appreciate above comments. YES, this is not the Disney I remember as a child or from the 1990’s when I had family annual passes. Magic mornings too. ( for 60 minutes) Rarely saw night time entertainment or even daytime parades as soooooo crowded . Kids too short to see anything. Hubby places daughter on his shoulders. Attended parks 9 years ago, but went as guests that had Passes as person worked for Disney Corporate. Ride waits average 60- 90 Minutes. No entertainment done. Rides/eat…some shopping as got person’s discount. That’s all the time we could squeeze in. could see fireworks at esplanade or just walking around parks.

I complained when Magic mornings no longer available except for people staying at select resort hotels. Gee…(such a spoiled princess) was told by out of Towner how fortunate I was to be able to attend the parks on a whim. They had to save x amount of years to have family attend once in a lifetime visit.

always remember that. Even with today’s AP. new system is confusing. But adapting. Able to choose days I want to go, able to mostly make reservations to restaurants I want too.
                                      husband and I feels quantity and quality of meals are good. Able to enjoy rides I want more often than not. Was able to view nighttime entertainment. Lightings , parades, fireworks. Without massive crowds , squishing me.
                                      I savor the well themed rides, like Radiator Springs, Toy Story Mania, It’s A Small World, Haunted Mansion…Fantasy Land….wait…love >95% of the parks!
                                      I like the original Disney Brand. Will enjoy aspects that have meaning to me, too old to wait 5+ years for possible, new management.

Price point crazy, save up for passes, entertainment, meals beforehand . my children have fond memories of attending parks, but won’t go now. Our family vacations are in the national parks, botanical gardens, museums, visit other family.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X