Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to Disney Video Projection World

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welcome to Disney Video Projection World


    Disney patents AR without headsets for theme park rides

    Patent attorney: "Disney appears to be fast-tracking the development of Virtual World Simulator technology for a near-term rollout."

    Orange County Register
    January 4, 2021

    Disney has taken one step closer to creating a virtual metaverse at Disneyland that would allow the entertainment giant to simulate a digital world with animated characters in a real-world theme park attraction.

    The Walt Disney Company was granted a patent on Dec. 28 by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for a Virtual World Simulator that enables multiple users to experience a 3D virtual world from multiple vantage points without any glasses, goggles or digital devices.

    Disney’s patent takes digital simulation one step beyond virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) with the newly dubbed virtual world (VW).

    Disney’s Virtual World Simulator creates a realistic and highly-immersive 3D virtual experience without requiring the user to wear an AR headset or use an AR-enabled smartphone, according to the patent.

    Disney’s patented Virtual World Simulator would create 3D imagery using multiple projectors capable of generating a high rate of images per second.

    The Virtual World Simulator would use a SLAM technique — which stands for Simultaneous Localization and Mapping — to continuously track the ever-changing point of view of a visitor moving through a real-world venue like a theme park attraction.

    The 3D virtual effects projected by Disney’s Virtual World Simulator in real-world venues could include animated characters along with simulated objects, props and artwork, according to the patent.

    Disney wants to introduce virtual world simulations into real-world venues like Disneyland and Walt Disney World, according to Founders Legal patent and technology technical adviser John DeStefano.

    “Rather than look through a phone screen or a headset, Disney developed a system almost similar to a movie projector to project on a real surface what humans see on a screen,” DeStefano told Spectrum News. “It’s more real-world experience rather than looking at it through a phone.”...

    Disney appears to be fast-tracking the development of the Virtual World Simulator technology for a near-term rollout, according to Founders Legal patent attorney Yuri Eliezer.

    “Disney believes others are going to get into this space,” Eliezer told Spectrum News. “They want to make sure they get this patent first.”



    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

    - Walt Disney

    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

    "It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

  • #2
    This is really interesting, honestly kind of hard to wrap my head around what this would look like in a park setting. Part of me thinks of the really amazing possibilities and part of me is very concerned that this will be the basis of any and every new attraction.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

    Comment


    • #3

      Buh-bye new Audio-Animatronics rides, hello video projection.

      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

      - Walt Disney

      "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

      "It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        Buh-bye new Audio-Animatronics rides, hello video projection.
        This is what I fear. I'd like to be hopeful that we will see things similar to the use of wrap around projections in Runaway Railway, or Rise. But if it means the absence of any new animatronic figures in rides or shows, then it's not a worthy trade.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          Disney patents AR without headsets for theme park rides

          Patent attorney: "Disney appears to be fast-tracking the development of Virtual World Simulator technology for a near-term rollout."

          Orange County Register
          January 4, 2021

          Disney has taken one step closer to creating a virtual metaverse at Disneyland that would allow the entertainment giant to simulate a digital world with animated characters in a real-world theme park attraction.

          The Walt Disney Company was granted a patent on Dec. 28 by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for a Virtual World Simulator that enables multiple users to experience a 3D virtual world from multiple vantage points without any glasses, goggles or digital devices.

          Disney’s patent takes digital simulation one step beyond virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) with the newly dubbed virtual world (VW).

          Disney’s Virtual World Simulator creates a realistic and highly-immersive 3D virtual experience without requiring the user to wear an AR headset or use an AR-enabled smartphone, according to the patent.

          Disney’s patented Virtual World Simulator would create 3D imagery using multiple projectors capable of generating a high rate of images per second.

          The Virtual World Simulator would use a SLAM technique — which stands for Simultaneous Localization and Mapping — to continuously track the ever-changing point of view of a visitor moving through a real-world venue like a theme park attraction.

          The 3D virtual effects projected by Disney’s Virtual World Simulator in real-world venues could include animated characters along with simulated objects, props and artwork, according to the patent.

          Disney wants to introduce virtual world simulations into real-world venues like Disneyland and Walt Disney World, according to Founders Legal patent and technology technical adviser John DeStefano.

          “Rather than look through a phone screen or a headset, Disney developed a system almost similar to a movie projector to project on a real surface what humans see on a screen,” DeStefano told Spectrum News. “It’s more real-world experience rather than looking at it through a phone.”...

          Disney appears to be fast-tracking the development of the Virtual World Simulator technology for a near-term rollout, according to Founders Legal patent attorney Yuri Eliezer.

          “Disney believes others are going to get into this space,” Eliezer told Spectrum News. “They want to make sure they get this patent first.”


          I'm sure it's going to be as popular as 3D Movies and 3D Television because we know how successful that was (eyes rolling)
          We need another Walt...and fast!

          "It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
          The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, we can't say Disney isn't investing in technology...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
              Well, we can't say Disney isn't investing in technology...
              Yes, but is it the technology that has longevity? Animatronics and limited motion figures still have charm. Even the original star tours had charm without being 4k. But projections and screens will eventually look "dated."

              Honestly I'm just surprised Disney is still doing SOMETHING related to entertainment. I'm still terrifiedly waiting for them to announce Disney NFTs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

                Yes, but is it the technology that has longevity? Animatronics and limited motion figures still have charm. Even the original star tours had charm without being 4k. But projections and screens will eventually look "dated."

                Honestly I'm just surprised Disney is still doing SOMETHING related to entertainment. I'm still terrifiedly waiting for them to announce Disney NFTs.
                Disney has been using projection mapping for a while now. The notable example is Fantasmic 2.0

                I don't think AAs are necessarily in danger (or at least I hope not...). Rise of the Resistance still used a surprisingly amount of 65 AAs in the attraction.

                Regarding NFTs, I think Disney might actually stay far away from them. Or at least their legal team would advise so. Let's not forget the company loves their Copyrights© to point of altering US Law...

                Comment


                • #9

                  Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                  Disney has been using projection mapping for a while now. The notable example is Fantasmic 2.0
                  This technology appears to go far beyond projection mapping.


                  Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                  I don't think AAs are necessarily in danger (or at least I hope not...). Rise of the Resistance still used a surprisingly amount of 65 AAs in the attraction.
                  I hope you're right. But Rise of the Resistance is no assurance: It was conceived and greenlit under a very different mindset -- the Disney Parks management regime of Tom Staggs. RotR exists as it does because Stagg's successor, Bob Chapek, didn't eviscerate its budget as he did to the rest of Star Wars Land.

                  The appeal of all-digital attractions to the Chapek regime is undeniable. Cheaper to build and maintain than AA rides, and more easily portable to other parks.

                  ker-Ching.

                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                  - Walt Disney

                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

                  "It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    Buh-bye new Audio-Animatronics rides, hello video projection.
                    I know this the way IGER was going.........of having more video projection attractions......
                    Chapek is take all the way for it is lot cheaper !
                    IMO.....it already over kill , at the Disney parks
                    Fact is -it coming over kill at lots of Theme Parks
                    and sure that why=Disney has taken one step closer to creating a virtual metaverse!
                    Eagleman
                    Lord of the Sky
                    Last edited by Eagleman; 01-05-2022, 08:02 PM.
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Only here can Disney trying to be cutting edge turn into doom and gloom 😂

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post
                        Only here can Disney trying to be cutting edge turn into doom and gloom 😂
                        It's understandable that some Disney employees feel the need to defend the Company against criticism. The unfortunate reality is that there is nothing in Chapek's statements or actions that indicates he is interested in Disney being "cutting edge." His focus is on marketing brands and making profits -- and doing so as cheaply as possible.

                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                        - Walt Disney

                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

                        "It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here is the thing....if done right this could be DOPE. Could you imagine the cool kinda shows/extra things added to the parks like walking into GE and seeing space ships taking off....it would be very cool

                          Buttttt if done for most rides it would get boring quick. Like the MK ride...i plan on like once wearing the ARA googles and most the time just enjoying the physical sets after that
                          Happy Halloween!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                            It's understandable that some Disney employees feel the need to defend the Company against criticism. The unfortunate reality is that there is nothing in Chapek's statements or actions that indicates he is interested in Disney being "cutting edge." His focus is on marketing brands and making profits -- and doing so as cheaply as possible.
                            First of all I am not a Disney employee, second I wasn’t defending them, I was making a comment on sentiment here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It sounds weird, but I won’t knock it until I try it.

                              Hopefully it can be used as a tool more-so than the main focus of an attraction (I’m looking at you, Web Slingers.)

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                Here is the thing....if done right this could be DOPE. Could you imagine the cool kinda shows/extra things added to the parks like walking into GE and seeing space ships taking off....it would be very cool

                                Buttttt if done for most rides it would get boring quick. Like the MK ride...i plan on like once wearing the ARA googles and most the time just enjoying the physical sets after that
                                This is my thoughts, I was envisioning what they could do with this for the walk around the park guest. So many interesting ways to alter the reality of what we see in the park, a Ship taking off in GE is a great example of this, make it really feel like a space port. But i have the same fear if it takes over as the main show for any ride it will be a major disappointment. I don't mind the use of screens if done well and in step with physical props and AA's like RotR and MMRR I think those attractions blend them well.
                                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

                                Comment


                                • #17

                                  From today's Los Angeles Times article, "Disney gets patent to project 3-D images for individual guests for interactive virtual experiences"...


                                  "The technology described in the patent would not be geared for large audiences but would instead track individual visitors around the parks and project images specifically for them on nearby objects, buildings and walls. Imagine walking by a wall and having Mickey Mouse appear to wave and dance in front of you.

                                  "People would not have to wear special goggles or headsets to see the images, according to the patent.

                                  "Visitors could be tracked through their smartphones or other devices they are carrying so that the tracking information could be relayed to a computer connected to projection devices located throughout the theme parks. After locating the visitors, the 'Virtual World Simulator' could project an image of a Disney character in front of the guests, with hidden speakers providing voices for an immersive experience, according to the patent.

                                  "Instead of building animatronic characters or hiring actors in costumes to entertain and communicate with guests, Disney could use the technology to interact with guests through 3-D projections, according to experts who have read the patent....

                                  A Disney spokesperson said the company 'files hundreds of patents each year as we explore developing technologies.'

                                  "'We are excited about the possibilities related to this type of technology,' the Disney spokesperson said, adding that 'there are no current plans to introduce this technology into an upcoming experience.'...

                                  "'It’s possible that they may never use it, but my sense is this is very much something they are going to commercialize,' said Ed Khalili, a patent attorney with Founders Legal."



                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                                  - Walt Disney

                                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

                                  "It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I foresee a potential future where Disney develops and sells a motion simulator for home use with vr tech so that way they can try and sell the Disney experience more and make a lot more money off of people.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      This just in: Disney patents technology that is potentially game changing, with broader implications beyond theme parks; Micechatters whine about screens.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20

                                        Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
                                        I foresee a potential future where Disney develops and sells a motion simulator for home use with vr tech so that way they can try and sell the Disney experience more and make a lot more money off of people.
                                        Yep. From today's IGN article on the patent:

                                        "In addition to creating immersive theme park experiences, Disney's patent also appears to note that the technology could be adapted for home use. The patent states that the virtual world simulator could be used to enable the transformation of a real-world venue, in the form of a personal residence or photography studio, into a movie set without requiring the user to leave their home."


                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                                        - Walt Disney

                                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

                                        "It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X