Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doombuggy life cycle

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Doombuggy life cycle

    Since the Pirates and Small World boats are no longer the originals, but have been replaced with newer versions, I wonder if the "doombuggies" in the Haunted Mansion have likewise been replaced? Or since they're not exposed to water, maybe they're the originals? At any rate, I'd think some of the "undercarriage" must have been switched out or at least refurbished after 50+ years!

  • #2
    Omnimover system-it is sometimes known as an Endless Transit System.
    is use on many Attraction,at Disney Parks..........
    Ride system was descended from the PeopleMover ride system developed for Ford's Magic Skyway at the
    1964 New York World Fair.
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

    Comment


    • #3
      So I've been looking around trying to see if they had, but so far haven't found anything to hint at or suggest so. When we look at original footage from opening day or a special taped in 1970, we see that the design has basically remained the same. My theory is that Disney has kept the ride vehicles since opening, only replacing ones that have been heavily damaged due to wear and tear or guess interference.

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope
        HBG2
        Inhospitable about happy
        HBG2 or
        Westsider
        MiceChatter
        Westsider sees this thread. I learn so much about rides from them.
        “I think, therefore I am... confused.”
        ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
          So I've been looking around trying to see if they had, but so far haven't found anything to hint at or suggest so. When we look at original footage from opening day or a special taped in 1970, we see that the design has basically remained the same. My theory is that Disney has kept the ride vehicles since opening, only replacing ones that have been heavily damaged due to wear and tear or guess interference.
          That's my thought too that individual vehicles were cycled out and replaced on "as needed basis" but I would suspect that even that method of maintaining it would lead to all the vehicles being replaced by now some 50+ years later. I think it also depends on what can be considered "original" too, since I would think that the sound system would have been upgraded and retrofitted into the older doombuggies at some point.
          "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
          "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

          Comment


          • #6
            If I remember correctly they are mostly fiberglass and never have any exposure to sunlight so they would last decades and they can be patched and recoated as needed. I think they may in fact be the original buggies. I also once heard the Lil Mermaid buggies are the ATIS buggies that were re-coated and the shell shape was added. If somebody has more accurate knowledge please share as I could be wrong on the above.
            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

            Comment


            • #7
              The hinge! How do those hinges last so long?! When the front of the buggy opens up at the end of the journey, they really let loose. I’m impressed

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                If I remember correctly they are mostly fiberglass and never have any exposure to sunlight so they would last decades and they can be patched and recoated as needed. I think they may in fact be the original buggies. I also once heard the Lil Mermaid buggies are the ATIS buggies that were re-coated and the shell shape was added. If somebody has more accurate knowledge please share as I could be wrong on the above.
                ATIS closed in 1985 and LM didn't open til 2011. I'd say the old ATIS vehicles were probably recycled and/or used for parts for the HM Doombuggies in the intervening 26 years and some may have been sent to WDW for the same purpose there, if they were even kept at all. Back in '85 recycling, repurposing, and saving our landfills wasn't really a 'thing' like it is now.
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm sure they're built tough.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DB1.png
Views:	262
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	8653315
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2.png
Views:	269
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	8653316
                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

                  DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                  WDW Trips: '81
                  EPCOT Trips: '93
                  Tokyo DL Trips: '86

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                    If I remember correctly they are mostly fiberglass and never have any exposure to sunlight so they would last decades and they can be patched and recoated as needed. I think they may in fact be the original buggies.
                    This.

                    I'm sure wear parts below the vehicle need replacing now and again, but I have no doubt most if not all of the actual vehicles themselves are original. Just like the train cars on the Disneyland Railroad--those are all original, but have had parts like the wheels and brakes replaced when they've worn.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Thumperrrrr View Post
                      The hinge! How do those hinges last so long?! When the front of the buggy opens up at the end of the journey, they really let loose. I’m impressed
                      Properly greased ball bearings will last a very long time.

                      The bearings on your average everyday industrial electric motor will turn more than 30 billion revolutions if they're properly greased.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by stovk View Post
                        I'm sure they're built tough.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DB1.png
Views:	262
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	8653315
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2.png
Views:	269
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	8653316
                        Interesting Drawings.......How the Omnimover system works!
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
                          I hope
                          HBG2
                          Inhospitable about happy
                          HBG2 or
                          Westsider
                          MiceChatter
                          Westsider sees this thread. I learn so much about rides from them.
                          Late to the party, but I can give you a little info. Bob Gurr, who of course designed the omnimovers, tells the story of talking with some DL maintenance guys about the vehicles and apologizing to them for the complexity of the mechanics (as can easily be seen in the blueprints). According to Gurr, the guys immediately told him something like this: "Oh no, no! The great thing about these things is, THEY WORK." In other words, properly maintained, they work well. Gurr, in the same conversation, relates that they came up with a more simplified design at one point, and so the current design of the vehicles (such as is used in Ariel) is "new and improved," mechanically, and that was what inspired his apology to the guys working on the doom buggies. That implies very strongly that they are still using the original design for them, which argues that a lot of what is there is original stuff. There really is quite a lot of stuff in the HM that goes back to 1969 unchanged.
                          "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

                          The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.


                          ...............................March April May
                          ....................,(i.e. April may once again strut her stuff!)..........

                          Comment

                          Get Away Today Footer

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X