Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staffing, cancellations and closures?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Staffing, cancellations and closures?

    Hi all,
    New here, first time posting. After the whole family was vaxxed and boosted, I planned a special surprise trip to DLR. We are supposed to travel next week, 1/18/22. I've seen a few things saying that DLR is having major issues with staffing as sick and exposed staff call out sick. As a result, they're having to cancel many dining reservations, quick serve dining is impacted, and some rides are closing because they just don't have enough staff. Of course, COVID cases are still rising everywhere, including Anaheim/Orange County, so it's not going to improve any time soon.

    Two questions:
    • Can anyone confirm staffing issues from recent (within the last week) visits?
    • I still have time to reschedule my trip with my travel agent for later in the spring. Any insight on going now as scheduled vs. delaying?
    Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by mjk_seattle View Post
    Hi all,
    New here, first time posting. After the whole family was vaxxed and boosted, I planned a special surprise trip to DLR. We are supposed to travel next week, 1/18/22. I've seen a few things saying that DLR is having major issues with staffing as sick and exposed staff call out sick. As a result, they're having to cancel many dining reservations, quick serve dining is impacted, and some rides are closing because they just don't have enough staff. Of course, COVID cases are still rising everywhere, including Anaheim/Orange County, so it's not going to improve any time soon.

    Two questions:
    • Can anyone confirm staffing issues from recent (within the last week) visits?
    • I still have time to reschedule my trip with my travel agent for later in the spring. Any insight on going now as scheduled vs. delaying?
    Thanks.
    Staffing issues have been confirmed in this week’s Micechat update. They are mostly limiting the number of people who can enter a restaurant. I haven’t seen attractions be affected yet.

    I suggest rescheduling. I had planned to visit with my sister this month, but we cancelled due to illness and also, I was super adamant about waiting until spring (hoping that night entertainment will be back by then). It’s just not worth the price right now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
      I suggest rescheduling. I had planned to visit with my sister this month, but we cancelled due to illness and also, I was super adamant about waiting until spring (hoping that night entertainment will be back by then). It’s just not worth the price right now.
      Yeah if you don't have a Magic Key it definitely isn't worth it right now. Especially if you haven't gone since pre-pandemic. Now they have off-season hours during the weekdays as well, sometimes closing as early as 8pm. If you're looking for just rides maybe consider still going but more than likely, like most of us, Disney is more than the rides. I'd hold off for a month or two more when more things become available again. (Nighttime shows, parades etc.)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

        Staffing issues have been confirmed in this week’s Micechat update. They are mostly limiting the number of people who can enter a restaurant. I haven’t seen attractions be affected yet.

        I suggest rescheduling. I had planned to visit with my sister this month, but we cancelled due to illness and also, I was super adamant about waiting until spring (hoping that night entertainment will be back by then). It’s just not worth the price right now.
        Question is Disney worth of getting sick for !
        IMO
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

          Question is Disney worth of getting sick for !
          IMO
          Yep. According to a lot of cast members, there are many outbreaks amongst staff with sick workers calling in. It’s a mess.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

            Yep. According to a lot of cast members, there are many outbreaks amongst staff with sick workers calling in. It’s a mess.
            What I reading on the news ...It not surprising!
            Eagleman
            Lord of the Sky
            Last edited by Eagleman; 01-12-2022, 09:55 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

            Comment


            • #7
              As someone who tends to look on the positive side of things, and a rabid Disneyland fan, it pains me to say hold off. We recently visited with limited staff and restaurant capacity. It's simply not worth it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by V.I.N.CENT. View Post
                As someone who tends to look on the positive side of things, and a rabid Disneyland fan, it pains me to say hold off. We recently visited with limited staff and restaurant capacity. It's simply not worth it.
                I KNOW ,I going Wait

                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mjk_seattle View Post
                  Hi all,


                  Two questions:
                  • Can anyone confirm staffing issues from recent (within the last week) visits?
                  • I still have time to reschedule my trip with my travel agent for later in the spring. Any insight on going now as scheduled vs. delaying?
                  Thanks.
                  Reschedule. hospitable employee here, my Hospital projects peak surge next week, then taper. California has temporary health care worker guidelines. If test positive for Covid , no symptoms, fully vaccinated. Keep on working. Don’t have enough staff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                    What I reading on the news ...It not surprising!
                    Stop watching the news. Your outlook will change on life.
                    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I went to Knotts Berry Farm today, and four rides were closed, including three of the most popular. I know it's the off season for theme parks, but I wondered whether staffing shortages were the reason for that. Hmmm, maybe so.
                      “I think, therefore I am... confused.”
                      ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
                        I went to Knotts Berry Farm today, and four rides were closed, including three of the most popular. I know it's the off season for theme parks, but I wondered whether staffing shortages were the reason for that. Hmmm, maybe so.
                        Staffing shortages seems very likely, and I’m speaking with some insider info. It’s quite unimaginable that Disney would get to the point that they would shut down attractions, but with what’s being whispered, I’m definitely not going to write that off as a possibility.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

                          Staffing shortages seems very likely, and I’m speaking with some insider info. It’s quite unimaginable that Disney would get to the point that they would shut down attractions, but with what’s being whispered, I’m definitely not going to write that off as a possibility.
                          I hearing about Staffing shortages at local CVS store's......many other Stores- Restaurants - Fast food Places - and other Business....
                          It not just Theme Parks Issue ....People calling in sick..........
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Fair warning to anyone planning a vacation, the latest Micechat update paints a grimmer picture than last week.

                            "If you’ve visited the Disneyland Resort in the last couple of weeks, you may have noticed some changes and service reductions. As a result of call-outs for illness and the resulting labor crush, some shops and restaurants may be operating at limited capacity or hours. And we’ve even seen limited menus pop up due to a lack of staff in the kitchens and/or supply chain issues.

                            For example, over the last week there have been times when Trader Sam’s and Tangaroa Terrace haven’t had enough staff available to work the kitchen (and, at least one day, no staff), so items available were limited. On Saturday night, the only food guests could order was chips and salsa. Many, if not all, restaurants at the resort are severely short staffed in one or more roles… but they are all treading water to keep their operations as normal as possible for guests. So you might notice lines popping up in places that didn’t have them before, items out of stock, or the unexpected early closure of an establishment. Downtown Disney and the hotels are particularly impacted.

                            [...]

                            And there have been some changes on the staff safety front as well. Disneyland’s current policy is for all indoor positions to wear a mask at all times. However, vaccinated staff may optionally forgo the mask outdoors. But you’ll notice that many more cast are wearing masks outside this week, often with N95s and goggles or face shields as well. Locations with an outbreak of more than a few staff enter a secondary mitigation scenario where all staff must wear masks and eye protection indoors and out. So you might see everyone geared up at one attraction or establishment but not the next.

                            A manager we spoke with said she expects the situation to get a little worse before it gets better. Disneyland had been keeping staff home for 10 days after their symptoms resolved, but a new policy based upon CDC guidance allows them to return to work five days after testing negative. That should allow more staff to return to work over the next couple of weeks. To help facilitate things, Disney opened an on-site testing center for cast members this week behind the Ball Rd. employee parking lot."


                            There are also various reports of frequent ride breakdowns due to lack of maintenance staff, dirty bathrooms, garbage piling up... I definitely recommend holding off for a while.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mjk_seattle View Post

                              Two questions:
                              • Can anyone confirm staffing issues from recent (within the last week) visits?
                              • I still have time to reschedule my trip with my travel agent for later in the spring. Any insight on going now as scheduled vs. delaying?
                              Thanks.
                              Definitely reschedule, Disneyland is a shell of its former self. Paying more than ever for 1/2 the experience I'd definitely wait. No shows, no character meet & greets, no character dining, masks indoors, etc. For the price I'd wait, it'll be better in the spring.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

                                There are also various reports of frequent ride breakdowns due to lack of maintenance staff, dirty bathrooms, garbage piling up... I definitely recommend holding off for a while.
                                "VERY LONG WHILE"........

                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I recommend waiting until the resort is the exact perfect way you’d like it to be!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Wait until Chapek is fired. All we need a few more disappointing quarterly reports and he is gone.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                                      Fair warning to anyone planning a vacation, the latest Micechat update paints a grimmer picture than last week.

                                      "If you’ve visited the Disneyland Resort in the last couple of weeks, you may have noticed some changes and service reductions. As a result of call-outs for illness and the resulting labor crush, some shops and restaurants may be operating at limited capacity or hours. And we’ve even seen limited menus pop up due to a lack of staff in the kitchens and/or supply chain issues.

                                      For example, over the last week there have been times when Trader Sam’s and Tangaroa Terrace haven’t had enough staff available to work the kitchen (and, at least one day, no staff), so items available were limited. On Saturday night, the only food guests could order was chips and salsa. Many, if not all, restaurants at the resort are severely short staffed in one or more roles… but they are all treading water to keep their operations as normal as possible for guests. So you might notice lines popping up in places that didn’t have them before, items out of stock, or the unexpected early closure of an establishment. Downtown Disney and the hotels are particularly impacted.

                                      [...]

                                      And there have been some changes on the staff safety front as well. Disneyland’s current policy is for all indoor positions to wear a mask at all times. However, vaccinated staff may optionally forgo the mask outdoors. But you’ll notice that many more cast are wearing masks outside this week, often with N95s and goggles or face shields as well. Locations with an outbreak of more than a few staff enter a secondary mitigation scenario where all staff must wear masks and eye protection indoors and out. So you might see everyone geared up at one attraction or establishment but not the next.

                                      A manager we spoke with said she expects the situation to get a little worse before it gets better. Disneyland had been keeping staff home for 10 days after their symptoms resolved, but a new policy based upon CDC guidance allows them to return to work five days after testing negative. That should allow more staff to return to work over the next couple of weeks. To help facilitate things, Disney opened an on-site testing center for cast members this week behind the Ball Rd. employee parking lot."


                                      There are also various reports of frequent ride breakdowns due to lack of maintenance staff, dirty bathrooms, garbage piling up... I definitely recommend holding off for a while.

                                      One of the reader's comments from the article:

                                      __________________

                                      B. Chapek: "Paul, gimme the employee status at the Anaheim profit center"

                                      P. Richardson, Sr EVP - Chief HR Officer: "We are operating at only 73% of minimum required cast needed to operate the resort sir. We have cut services beyond the bone at both parks, all hotels, restaurants, shops and all guest facing positions even further than your 2019 directives, which were severe. I have several plans ready to implement that will increase our cast levels within this month"

                                      B. Chapek: "Are you daft Paul? this virus has been a blessing to our bottom line, COVID has allowed me to further cut yield facing positions and let services languish which would have caused a riot pre-pandemic..

                                      I mean come on, no trams, no room service/housekeeping, an hour & a half wait for a mobile order churro, barely any entertainment, no (what's the name of that dum water show? Fantsic?), overflowing trash cans, dirty bathrooms, trashed streets and landscaping, reduced hours, closed attractions, construction, heck, we even had the yield sitting on the curb to eat. In addition, I sold a deceptive and low-quality Key membership, added fees to everything that was included with admission pre-pandemic, AND I've raised admission to the breaking point to boot! All in the name of "because pandemic" mu-ah-haha

                                      Paul make sure we maintain current 73% staffing levels regardless of available staff, virus or mandate status. If we're asked about it the answer is always "because pandemic"

                                      P. Richardson: "of course sir"

                                      __________________

                                      Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-19-2022, 05:38 AM.
                                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

                                      - Walt Disney

                                      "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

                                      "It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                        Wait until Chapek is fired. All we need a few more disappointing quarterly reports and he is gone.
                                        I know -I don't want any thing to do with Chapek land.............
                                        AGREE.......Wait until Chapek is fired !
                                        IMO
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X