Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are strollers being abused in Disneyland ?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I'm glad the metal strollers are gone. Those things hurt like hell when someone walked one into the back of your feet.
    www.deliciousmayhem.net
    www.kidseatingpaste.com

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
      which includes riding IASW and a 5 gallon jug of mayonase.

      I'm down!! I have done many a milk chugging competition.

      Seriously, I work for one of the largest youth serving agencies in the country and I see all types of parents and kids. They are all fun to deal with in their own way.

      Comment


      • #63
        Great great post Socaldude!!! Two thumbs up!!

        And Cuzco, I totally agree with you on age limit thing!



        Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

        Comment


        • #64
          I think that in large part this is a case of the few giving a bad name to the many if the stroller pushers here represent the norm. How many times have any of you almost been run off the road by some yahoo yacking on his or her cell phone, then when you honk to get their attention you get the bird in return. Strollers, like cars can be a problem if not handled appropriately. the problem is not the stroller or the car. It is the inconsiderate a-hole pushing / driving it.

          It is virtually guarenteed to see this type of behavior on every trip to DLR, frequently starting with the tram ride where a parent decides it is OK to cram their stroller (with the kid in it) in the back row. When you put this many self-absorbed people together in a small place, it is just going to happen. I love my country and the people, but I am observant enough to determine that a significant portion of the people are self absorbed types that think the world revolves about them. You see it on the freeway, at the mall, and yes, at DLR.

          I do make a consious effort to ensure that I'm not inconsiderate of others, and if I do bump into someone or whatever I apologize. I have come to the belief that the best thing to do in most cases is to just ignore all but the worst offenders, cause it is going to happen anyway, and there isn't much you can do about it.

          Having said that, I would like to see more enforcement on the part of DL cast members though - telling people where to smoke, enforcing the no outside food rule, removing people with profanity on their clothes, etc. Not sure how much they can do about traffic control. having been stuck in the after Fantasmic rush many times, I doubt that there is much more that could be done short of limiting the number of bodies they let in to that area of the park (not going to happen)

          Comment


          • #65
            Ok, I read this whole thread and there are good arguments for both sides. I personally don't agree with having your 6 year old in a stroller, if he doesn't have any physical problems. I don't have any kids but I am 23 and have a 4 year old brother that I have taken to DL plenty of times. I don't know if maybe my little brother is super active or what but ever since he was 2 he would only be in the stroller to nap, or every once in a while to rest but now at 4 he hates the thing and has gone all day. My parents stopped the stroller thing for all of us kids at 4 and we were all fine and this was back when DL would stay open till 1 or 2am in the summers.
            Everybody that I know had to walk by then....i mean, aren't these kids all full of energy at that age?
            Anyways, for the mothers on here I appreciate the courtesy that all of you show when pushing your strollers. Its those other people that can't even mumble an apology that get to me. I had a lady run over my toes with her 6 year old in the stroller and yelled at me to watch where I am going...keep in mind that we were over in adventureland and we all know how bad that area can get. Where was I supposed to go?!

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Whatever
              I.....Having said that, I would like to see more enforcement on the part of DL cast members though - telling people where to smoke, enforcing the no outside food rule, removing people with profanity on their clothes, etc. Not sure how much they can do about traffic control. having been stuck in the after Fantasmic rush many times, I doubt that there is much more that could be done short of limiting the number of bodies they let in to that area of the park (not going to happen)
              One of the last times of was there, I saw a large Wienerschnitzel cup in a stroller, a guy wearing a sweatshirt with a large print 4 letter word on back, and an annoying couple who thought they were cute to cut in front of us pretending they were part of our group in line. These, my friends, are your culprits.
              Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
              Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
              Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
              Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
              Marge: Pink.
              Homer: D'oh!
              Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Whatever
                Not sure how much they can do about traffic control. having been stuck in the after Fantasmic rush many times, I doubt that there is much more that could be done short of limiting the number of bodies they let in to that area of the park (not going to happen)
                Now imagine having a four year old in that traffic. People are tired and cranky by that time of night. I would much prefer that my child is safely stowed in a stroller, thank you very much.

                I have been caught with my kids on Main St. at fireworks time without a stroller. It can be a scary experience. It wouldn't take much for a child to get swept into the sea of the crowd. Would you prefer that the park get locked down because a child has gone missing?

                People are always going to have something to complain about. I have my own pet peeves at the park. Let's just all try to repsect that we all have our own space and move on with our lives. Let me push my stroller when I want, where I want, and I will let you stop in front of said stroller without giving you too dirty of a look.
                Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
                I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.



                May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

                NO GOATS!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by LAURA
                  Ok, I read this whole thread and there are good arguments for both sides. I personally don't agree with having your 6 year old in a stroller, if he doesn't have any physical problems. I don't have any kids but I am 23 and have a 4 year old brother that I have taken to DL plenty of times. I don't know if maybe my little brother is super active or what but ever since he was 2 he would only be in the stroller to nap, or every once in a while to rest but now at 4 he hates the thing and has gone all day. My parents stopped the stroller thing for all of us kids at 4 and we were all fine and this was back when DL would stay open till 1 or 2am in the summers.
                  Everybody that I know had to walk by then....i mean, aren't these kids all full of energy at that age?
                  My son is super active and full of energy, he's been referred to as the Energizer Bunny on numerous occasions and no he doesn't have physical limitations but there are times at the park when he's been in the stroller. He doesn't use one anywhere else, we don't even own one any longer, and it's not a constant thing but he did use one off and on on our last trip in Nov. for his birthday. Some kids outgrown them quick, my oldest wouldn't use one at this age, no way no how. Kids aren't all the same, what works for one kid, doesn't for the next

                  And I firmly believe this quote from our dear mamabot.......
                  Originally posted by Mamabot
                  People are always going to have something to complain about. I have my own pet peeves at the park. Let's just all try to repsect that we all have our own space and move on with our lives. Let me push my stroller when I want, where I want, and I will let you stop in front of said stroller without giving you too dirty of a look
                  Last edited by dsnylndmom; 02-10-2005, 12:24 PM. Reason: I have obviously lost the ability to spell correctly



                  Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by mamabot
                    People are always going to have something to complain about. I have my own pet peeves at the park. Let's just all try to repsect that we all have our own space and move on with our lives. Let me push my stroller when I want, where I want, and I will let you stop in front of said stroller without giving you too dirty of a look.

                    Hear, Hear!
                    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
                      One of the last times of was there, I saw a large Wienerschnitzel cup in a stroller, a guy wearing a sweatshirt with a large print 4 letter word on back, and an annoying couple who thought they were cute to cut in front of us pretending they were part of our group in line. These, my friends, are your culprits.
                      Exactly!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        First of all, I am a parent and my kid has been going to Disneyland since she was an infant. As soon as walking was possible, stroller-be-gone.

                        Secondly, I don't care what the cultural differences are between nations, there is just NO ROOM for strollers at Disneyland. The walkways are too small, and there is not enough "storage" space at the attractions to leave strollers while guests are experiencing those attractions. Strollers end up left all over the already-clogged walkways.

                        I know there's a legitimate use for them, but there's no room for them. If they charged $25 to bring one in the gates, would you, Mr. or Mrs. Parent, suddenly be able to find a way to do without them?

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          OK, I can't stand it anymore. I have to post about this one.

                          1. Yes, people abuse strollers. We're going next weekend, and we're not bringing the SUV stroller for the first time because my son is 4 and over 35 pounds.

                          2. Yes, people don't know how to drive the things. My wife never drives our big stroller with both kids because she doesn't want to hit others.

                          3. how DARE anyone who doesn't have kids take such a snotty and holier-than-thou view of bringing kids to Disneyland. The place is there for the FAMILY!!!! My first trip was when I was 18 months. My son's first trip was at 18 months. I would still be in therapy if I found out my parents were dropping me off at grandma's and going to DL!

                          It's amazing to me how many people on these boards feel like Disneyland was only built for them. You all are absolutely right. People should watch where they push their strollers. There should be more room in the walkways. But nothing bugs me more than locals who think they own the place, or people who smoke where they shouldn't, or people who recite the speech in the haunted mansion elevator or people who just HAVE to push their way to the front to watch the ELP or...

                          Get my meaning? People can be annoying. If I've ever hit anyone with my stroller, I apologize. But I will not be judged for wanting to bring my kids to DLR any way I can. If anyone wants to learn about such things, meet me at the front gate around 1 p.m. next Saturday and see how ya do. My kids are a ton of fun. Aidan will run you ragged, and Alida will make you laugh your head off. But they're kids. And Walt wanted them there.

                          It's the happiest place on earth every time I'm there. Even if I get bumped by a stroller. Try to remember that.
                          Last edited by Ian; 02-10-2005, 01:45 PM.
                          "I just want to say, this is the best trip ever." - Aidan at age 4

                          "No. I have no kiss in my mouth for Daddy." -Alida on Father's Day

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Ian
                            3. how DARE anyone who doesn't have kids take such a snotty and holier-than-thou view of bringing kids to Disneyland. The place is there for the FREAKIN' FAMILY!!!! My first trip was when I was 18 months. My son's first trip was at 18 months.
                            I don't remember anyone ever saying you shouldn't bring your kids to DL. It's my opinion and choice not to bring a baby/toddler to DL just for the fact that I don't believe that they will even be able to remember or fully appreciate the experience. Again...i don't have anything against young kids at DL, go for it if thats what you want.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                              I don't remember anyone ever saying you shouldn't bring your kids to DL. It's my opinion and choice not to bring a baby/toddler to DL just for the fact that I don't believe that they will even be able to remember or fully appreciate the experience. Again...i don't have anything against young kids at DL, go for it if thats what you want.
                              Well, the physical (5 miles) and age requirements some people would put on the place sure seem like not wanting kids around. And I can tell you, I have memories of DL as a 3 year old, and my kids speak all the time about things they remember. So yeah, it's a choice, but I don't think anyone who is kidless has earned the right to make that call. I'm assuming you have kids, so diff'rent strokes, etc., but I just felt like I had to respond.
                              "I just want to say, this is the best trip ever." - Aidan at age 4

                              "No. I have no kiss in my mouth for Daddy." -Alida on Father's Day

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                                The strollers are not as bad as the people carts that infest WDW. Now that was amazingly abused when I was over there in '99.
                                I was in WDW this past December, and remember twice that an older couple (and by "older," I mean in their 60s... not "very old") who were staying at my resort (POR) got on the late bus with me from one of the parks... they both had motorized scooters, so the rest of us would stand there while the bus driver lowered the ramp in the rear of the bus, then pulled up two seats each for their motorized scooters.

                                The best part? The guy in the scooter would get off the scooter once it was in the bus, and help the bus driver not only latch it down, but picked up each end of the scooter to "shimmy" it close to the wall!! I'm sorry, but if you're strong enough to PICK UP your motorized cart, I find it hard to believe that you actually need one!

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Originally posted by TherapeuticSmile
                                  The best part? The guy in the scooter would get off the scooter once it was in the bus, and help the bus driver not only latch it down, but picked up each end of the scooter to "shimmy" it close to the wall!! I'm sorry, but if you're strong enough to PICK UP your motorized cart, I find it hard to believe that you actually need one!
                                  Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George picks up his scooter in order to throw it at some Scooter Gang that was chasing him(all right in front of his new boss who hired him because he filled the disability quota for that company)........

                                  ....life, too funny
                                  Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                                    I know there's a legitimate use for them, but there's no room for them. If they charged $25 to bring one in the gates, would you, Mr. or Mrs. Parent, suddenly be able to find a way to do without them?
                                    All this would do is preclude a large portion of Disney's target audience from entering the park. If Walt had wanted families to stay away from DL, he would have built a much different park. But he intended the park to be for families. Would you want to turn DL into a locals/adults only paradise? It would never work in a million years.

                                    And what is good for DL is good for DCA, especially when it comes to money. The argument for charging a fee for people to bring strollers in to DCA would fall flat. There is enough room over there. The walkways are wide enough to hold a stroller marathon.
                                    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
                                    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.



                                    May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

                                    NO GOATS!

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      When I went to Walt Disney World when I was 3 years old I remember that tirp. And remember going to Disneyland before that.

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        I think we impatient people (and I am at the top of that list) need to just "suck it up" and enjoy ourselves without resorting to "stroller-rage".

                                        ~"I'm not angry, I'm just passionate like all us Greeks" OPA!
                                        Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                                        Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
                                        Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
                                        Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
                                        Marge: Pink.
                                        Homer: D'oh!
                                        Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

                                        Comment


                                        • #80
                                          Strollers are necessary to some people, and under some circumstances, and I'd NEVER say to not use them. Disney is supposed to be for kids to enjoy, after all. It's not the users, but the abusers I loathe. And yes, they ARE being abused. If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone running through DL with their kid not looking remotely tired or interested in the stroller, but the stroller packed so full of stuff it looks like the Grinch's sleigh, I'd not have to pay for my AP out of pocket ever again...

                                          Look, I'm the kind of guy who purposely stands in fron of strollers on Main Street before the fireworks show, just so I can step aside when they start to give the little'uns a better view. But I'm also the person that will purposely slow down in front of the battering-ram types so they run into me and get the handles jammed into their sterum. When I'm at DL, I'm usually wearing my Oakley boots, just for that reason...
                                          Honor those who fall under the sword.
                                          But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X