Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone made a life decision based on Disneyland?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made a life decision based on Disneyland?

I am applying for residency in pediatrics, and I recently had my interview at Children's Hospital of Orange County. I really did like it and could see myself working there, but in terms of learning it may not be as good of a program as the one that I come from. However, it is five minutes away from Disneyland! And, I don't see myself living here any other time in my life. It seems like a great opportunity for me to realize a dream. So my question is, has anybody else made a life decision to move to orange county, even though it may not be the best choice, because Disneyland is here? Or any other type of decision that was some way influenced by Disneyland.

Re: Has anyone made a life decision based on Disneyland?

Unless the calibre of a residency elsewhere could signifiantly influence your options or standing professionally, then why not. (But you probably never would have gone to a med school of less esteem based on its proximity to Disneyland.)

Comment

Originally posted by grewupdown View Post
      I am applying for residency in pediatrics, and I recently had my interview at Children's Hospital of Orange County. I really did like it and could see myself working there, but in terms of learning it may not be as good of a program as the one that I come from.
      Hmm... Interesting. I understand that CHOC is cutting edge. Mayhaps I'm wrong.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "I don't mind being regarded as perverted and unnatural, but I would die if people thought I was a Democrat." - Florence King

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
      --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
      --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

Comment

It's a great program...dont' get me wrong. It's just the program I come from is in the top 15 of the nation. But I do think I could be happy at CHOC and would definitely learn a lot there. And I did LOVE the program. I'm just trying to decide if my love of Disneyland is or isn't influencing my decision too much. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by grewupdown View Post
          It's a great program...dont' get me wrong. It's just the program I come from is in the top 15 of the nation. But I do think I could be happy at CHOC and would definitely learn a lot there. And I did LOVE the program. I'm just trying to decide if my love of Disneyland is or isn't influencing my decision too much. Thanks for the help!
          You're starting a residency program? Good luck finding the time to visit the park. What will be your final goal? If you chose to practice general pediatrics, then CHOC should be fine. And if you really loved the program, your love of medicine and pediatrics will not suffer from the drudgery of a program that you suffer through in order to have "the best", and that will reflect in your patient care for years to come. But if you need extensive specialty training, then pick the best offered, Disneyland will be there when you get done.

Comment

Originally posted by FREQDUDE View Post
            If you chose to practice general pediatrics, then CHOC should be fine. And if you really loved the program, your love of medicine and pediatrics will not suffer from the drudgery of a program that you suffer through in order to have "the best", and that will reflect in your patient care for years to come.
            So true. I think my time at my old program is done. I am going into general peds and I think I would just be unhappy there (whereas I really think I would be happy at CHOC). Thanks for helping me put that into perspective!

Comment

Sure, try staying. But if there is somewhere else that could influence your career more, go there. Don't lose a career based on a theme park.

Comment

Seems to me that just by ASKING your question here means that Disney is influencing your decision too much. Your first priority must be where you will get the BEST education! Where you will learn the most. Posting your question here makes me wonder exactly what kind of a doctor you will be? Do I really want my child going to a doctor who had training based on opinions of Disney Freaks(Good Term) and proximity to Disneyland? Don't think so. Take care and Merry Christmas.

Comment

You should make your decision based on where you can make the biggest difference. And if you decide on CHOC, well then DL would just be an added bonus. And if it's always been a dream of yours to live near DL then I would go for it. If not now when? Good luck with your final decision!

Comment

About 12 years ago I had a choice of working for a company in CA or CO, I chose CA because of many things, but DL played a part. I wouldn't choose my career based on it, better to make a lot of money and visit from wherever than choose to live close for a worse job. But if all things are equal, it can make a difference.
                    VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X