This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the silhouette studio won't do

Of all the souvenirs at Disneyland, the silhouettes seem to be one of the most timeless pieces of original artwork that one can buy. So I decided to try something that I hadn't asked for in the past, a silhouette of Walt Disney. They'll add Mickey or a princess to your portrait, why not one just of Walt to hang on your wall? What could be more classic?

My request was immediately responded to with a firm "No." The reason was that the Disney family specifically asked them not to, and for copyright reasons. I'm not sure how copyright law would apply here since you can purchase any number of items at the park with Walt's likeness on them. After I left feeling rejected I understood why the family would want to keep them from creating his likeness. One could claim that the silhouette was actually made for Walt Disney, himself while he was alive. Albeit the backing board design has changed and is of newer stock, but I could see someone trying to pass it off as an "original."

Re: What the silhouette studio won't do

That's...odd. :-/

Comment

I believe Opus did a rather extensive post about this, and the fact that Thurl Ravenscroft was unable to get a silhouette because of his likeness to Walt. (many mistake him for Walt in the Haunted Mansion!)

However if you really want one you can probably find a side profile of Walt somewhere and make one via Photoshop... up to you.

I actually tried to get them to make a larger one of several of the Jungle Animals at one point.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Well, in a silhouette, it appears that you and any other 'shadow' are together. I can understand not wanting to have other people with pictures of themselves and my father together in them, perhaps the Disney family feels the same way.
        Or perhaps they want to control who, when and where a new likeness of Walt Disney is produced.

Comment

Sihouette Umbrella say that they do not have the copywriter.
          I want a tigger on the umbrella.
          So I got is a Cat with black and oranger strips.
          well it work for me.
          AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
          Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
          Older photo
          New Photo

Member of
          MiceChat WDW Trip
          Next trip
          2014 Dec, 31

Comment

When I was at Disney World recently, I had a silouhette done with me and Santa Claus. I am always amazed at the talent of the Disney silouhette artists. I have a silouhette done at Disneyland that has me, and Jiminy Cricket. I guess, the least that we can do is ask if there is a particular subject that we would like cut out.

I also think that these silouhettes are a nice souvenir of our visits to the Parks.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

How much do these run usually? For two people?

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

thats interesting, i never knew this?
                sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

Originally posted by ashley solo View Post
                  How much do these run usually? For two people?
                  You can get 2 people with frames for under $50. Great deal if you look at some of the other crap around Dland and it lasts forever.

Comment

Under $50? Fantastic. I will for sure do this in January.

And just to add my two cents on the OP, I wouldn't want people to be able to have my deceased relative in random people's art. If that makes sense. Putting characters in is a great idea though, how wonderful.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

Disney World prices are comparable with Disneyland prices. They charged $8 for each person they have to cut out. That would be the same for a character cut out. Frames were also $8. So for 2 images, framed that would be $24+tax, of course. You also actually get two copies for that price. If you wanted both copies framed, that would be an additional $8, so then that would make it $32+tax.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

this is just the typical 'no walt' type of control of his likeness.

Nothing to do with copyright.. its just his estate has the ability to control the use of his likeness - especially when it comes to commercial use. You can create original pieces of art using his likeness, but you'd get their wrath likely if you started trying to make a commercial venture out of it.

Comment

Can someone post a picture of theirs. I am having a hard time picturing these with the characters. Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                            They'll add Mickey or a princess to your portrait, why not one just of Walt to hang on your wall? What could be more classic?

My request was immediately responded to with a firm "No." The reason was that the Disney family specifically asked them not to, and for copyright reasons.

I don't know why...but wanting a silhouette of Walt just strikes me as odd. Maybe because the silhouette's are a hand made item which makes them very personal.

Also you have to remember that the name and image of Walt Disney has become a brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
                              . I can understand not wanting to have other people with pictures of themselves and my father together in them, perhaps the Disney family feels the same way.
                              I totally agree !!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X