• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aura of Foreboding
    MiceChatter
    • Apr 2005

How much Walt is left in Disneyland?

How much Walt is left in Disneyland?

This discussion and debate can take you in any direction, but I ask that you keep it a healthy, lively, polite, and informative one.

• Olympicnut
    Incognito
    • Jan 2005

Re: How much Walt is left in Disneyland?

I think probably his left toenail. What, you asked!!

Comment

• Druggas
      Hooterville, USA
      • Feb 2005

10%.

Don't have any facts, but that is my opinion.
      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• Aura of Foreboding
        MiceChatter
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
        I think probably his left toenail. What, you asked!!
        Well there's a lot more of Granny left in Disneyland than there is Walt... At least some people's grandmas...

Ashes to ashes,
        Dust to Dust,
        Remember that you are dust,
        And unto Disneyland, you shall return.

Comment

• JohnZ46
          MiceChatter
          • Apr 2007

Isn't he cryogenically frozen and stored under Sleeping Beauty's castle?

Comment

• Datameister
            =)
            • Aug 2005

Can't be more than one or two cells by now...

Sorry. I think some areas--Tomorrowland and Frontierland particularly--are really lacking a lot of what Walt wanted to do with the park, though they feature two of WED's fantastic post-Walt achievements: Space Mountain and Big Thunder, respectively. I think Walt would be truly proud of and amazed by both of them, but the areas around them have fallen apart in truly unfortunate ways.

Nevertheless, Walt does live on in the park. Most of his best classics are still going strong, as are a number of attractions that opened after his death but were being developed during his lifetime.

Comment

• TheManator
              Banned User
              • Jan 2005

It'd be better if society didn't have such a huge impact on the changes that are made.
              Does anyone else agree?

Comment

• MsSarah
                formerly PretzelSouls!
                • Aug 2007

That's a myth...
                Welcome to micechat by the way!

Originally posted by JohnZ46 View Post
                Isn't he cryogenically frozen and stored under Sleeping Beauty's castle?
                "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• mousechild
                  Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
                  • Oct 2007

Well, he left lot of cigarette ashes behind
                  Originally posted by SummerInFL
                  Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
                  Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

• Lynn, Renaissance Woman
                    Old Timer
                    • Mar 2005

There are many signs of Walt still in the Park. Main Street with its windows, including Walt's father's name is one place. I think that he would have approved of the idea of Toontown with its wimsy and interactive areas, less for the rides which don't quite work. NOS still has corners that are Waltish. Although it's been too long, he would have liked the innovations of Indy and Space. He would have loved the Fantasyland upgrade.
                    It's the cut priced and rushed feeling of Tomorrowland and removal of Country Bears for Pooh that doesn't seem like what he would do. I also don't believe that he would let areas sit unused for years, such as the motor boat area.
                    I think that the fact that they are planning to reopen the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough is a good sign.

Comment

• aashee
                      Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                      • Aug 2006

I see a lot of Walt in the park. It's impossible to follow someone as passionate as Walt who didn't have the same concerns about the bottom line like the people he left behind did.

When I go to the park, I'm thinking about what a wonderful place Walt created. So I see A LOT of him.

Comment

• JohnZ46
                        MiceChatter
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PretzelSouls View Post
                        That's a myth...
                        Welcome to micechat by the way!
                        I know, it was my sad attempt at being funny. My sense of humor is defective.

Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

• Neverlandtink
                          Me and Tommy Kirk
                          • May 2005

I believe there's more "Walt" in this park than in any of the others. (MK being a close second, although it's more of an essence there). I think of Walt when I witness the flag ceremony. Or when I'm riding Pirates. Main St. definitely, but also at Snow White's grotto, the Matterhorn and even the Subs. When I ride Soarin, I can't help but think about the charge he would have gotten if he were alive today to ride it.

It's easy to complain about current changes of attractions you liked when you were a kid. It's really easy to say "they're taking Walt out of Disneyland" when something is added or taken out or changed. However there are plenty of subtle, magical examples of Walt's direction that he left behind for all of us to enjoy.

Comment

• aashee
                            Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                            • Aug 2006

Thanks for the welcome!
                            Defective humor? You'll fit right in! Welcome to MiceChat.

Comment

• Lynn, Renaissance Woman
                              Old Timer
                              • Mar 2005

Thanks for the welcome!
                              Hey, I got it. Your avatar shows a man with no problems with their sense of humor.

Again, welcome.

Comment

• techskip
                                I Break Things
                                • Jun 2007

Honestly never knew him, he died way before I was born. I would venture to say that his spirit lives on as long as original attractions remain and continue to operate. Some attractions have been modified, or moved, but the fact that they are still there is IMO a testament to Walt's commitment, passion, and imagination. Aside from that any arguments about what Walt would like, wouldn't like, would do, wouldn't do etc... are pointless. A lot has changed since Walt's death, both inside, and outside the park. There have been countless changes in politics, society, economics, technology. There is no way to accurately guess what he may have done, or said, because there are many many things that could have influenced him one way or the other. To stand now, in 2008, and say that Walt would have done, or said, anything... is insane... because a lot of what we know, a lot of what we now take for granted, was either in it's early stages of development, or still being dreamed up when he died!

So as to what is left of Walt... I would say the finger... pointing out to Management that creativity is not dead!
                                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• Jetlife
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2008

There is so much of Walt left in the park.

Main street is very much the same as Walt built it.

The Ward Kimball would make Walt proud.

I'm sure that Walt would recognize the new Monorail Trainset.

I wish that Walt could see how beautiful the castle looked at night this Christmas,
                                  but I am sure that he has already imagined it looking that way.

I think that we are very lucky that somebody who works at the park now also has the imagination to light the castle the way that they do.

I love to go to the park with my kids.
                                  I wouldn't spend the time and money to go to Disneyland if Walt's dream wasn't still there.
                                  It would be a lot cheaper to go to Knott's (I'm not trying to slam Knot's Berry Farm), but when it comes right down to it.
                                  I'd rather go to Disneyland.

Comment

• aashee
                                    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                                    • Aug 2006

Welcome Jetlife.

While people like to point out certain things that make him more there or less there, the fact his fingerprints for his dream are everywhere. If you don't feel the magic when you walk down Main street, chance are, you aren't going to feel Walt is still there.

Comment

• I Heart Disneyland
                                      Banned User
                                      • Aug 2005

After watching "Walt: The Man & The Myth" I felt sad that SO much has happened at DL that he did not see, but, nobody lives forever, and even if he'd lived another 25 years, he'd not have seen a lot of what's happened. It keeps moving and growing, and I think there's quite a bit of him left. It's still called DISNEYland! And, if not for him, it would not be there at all!

Comment

• Aura of Foreboding
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                        Aside from that any arguments about what Walt would like, wouldn't like, would do, wouldn't do etc... are pointless. A lot has changed since Walt's death, both inside, and outside the park. There have been countless changes in politics, society, economics, technology. There is no way to accurately guess what he may have done, or said, because there are many many things that could have influenced him one way or the other. To stand now, in 2008, and say that Walt would have done, or said, anything... is insane... because a lot of what we know, a lot of what we now take for granted, was either in it's early stages of development, or still being dreamed up when he died!
                                        As I addressed in the first post of this topic.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X