• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blueharvest1138
    Star Tours Fan
    • Apr 2005

Country Bears California Tour

From a Al Lutz article:

"While the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area was one of the more successful sections of DCA, it is also slated to receive attention and additional attractions. However, after initial studies were completed that even included some Imagineers placing plywood animal cutouts along the Grizzly River Run flume during early morning testing, the plans for many of the new rides there have been shelved for now. The initial hope was that the Grizzly Peak mountain structure would support several additional wilderness themed rides that wrapped in and around the existing raft ride. A new version of Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland chugging past animatronic scenes, as well as a new theater home for the Country Bear Jamboree built into the side of the mountain were all seriously proposed, considered, and sketched out. Sadly, those ideas have been shelved for now."

If the Bears were brought to DCA what song list would you like to see?
    • - The 5 Bear Rugs and Henry
    • - Trixie
    • - Wendell
    • - Liverlips McGrowl
    • "California Bears"- The Sun Bonnets, Gomer, Max, Buff, and Melvin
    • - Terrence the Shaker
    • - The 5 Bear Rugs
    • - Ernest the Dude
    • - Teddi Barra and Henry
    • - The 5 Bear Rugs
    • - Big Al
    • - Cast
  • fo'c's'le swab
    Blind to His Own Faults
    • Dec 2006

Re: Country Bears California Tour

If a semi-contemporary CA theme were decided upon for the CBJ in DCA, I would like to see some of the following, by title, and performer (at least most definitive, if not the actual 'original' version):

California Dreamin'--Mamas and the Papas
    San Fernando Valley--Bing Crosby
    Route 66--Nat King Cole
    I Left My Heart in San Francisco--Tony Bennett
    Surfin' USA/California Girls--Beach Boys
    I love LA--Randy Newman
    California Here I Come--Al Jolson
    California--Joni Mitchell

Kind of a predictable, contrived selection, but those are a few examples of what I would like to see/hear.

Comment

• mousechild
      Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
      • Oct 2007

Please no song for CBJ. Add bears to GRR if you like but don't bring the music. Please can we leave the CBJ alone. IMHO it would turn it into a sugar coated mess.
      Originally posted by SummerInFL
      Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
      Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

• aashee
        Skeevy Ray Vaughan
        • Aug 2006

Agreed. Have one play the piano. No need to corny it up and have them talking.

Comment

• mousechild
          Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
          • Oct 2007

Put the piano player in the lift building, possibly only the music, with the piano player unseen, hence unneeded.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
            • Jun 2005

If the country bears ever assume residence in California, Woody Guthrie is certainly the most appropriate match. And, "This Land Is Your Land" is among the songs that naturally lend themselves to this kind of treatment.

Of course, any Californian version of the Country Bear Playhouse would also need Humphrey the Bear and J. Audubon Woodlore to host the show.

Comment

• GhostHost2
              MiceChatter
              • Jun 2007

A new CBJ show must have the song the little bear sings that goes something like:
              "Momma, don't whoop little Gopher, he just won't understand, Momma don't shoot little Gopher, Momma just shoot him instead.
              That is the greatest song ever.

I would like for all or almost all of the songs to be creations made exclusively for the Country Bears, except the Davy Crockett song can return.

Comment

• filmfreak11
                ...TWO BITS!
                • Sep 2005

I liked songs from "The Fox & the Hound", both films.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                -Jurassic Park

Comment

• mousechild
                  Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
                  • Oct 2007

If you are going to force the CBs to sing again I think they should perform the entire Gap Band discography. If the bears are brought back the play list should be as ridiculous as the idea.

Besides Big Al singing You Dropped a Bomb on Me might just work.)

Comment

• aashee
                    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by mousechild View Post
                    If you are going to force the CBs to sing again I think they should perform the entire Gap Band discography. If the bears are brought back the play list should be as ridiculous as the idea.

Besides Big Al singing You Dropped a Bomb on Me might just work.)
                    Now help me out here, which one is Liver-Lips McGrowl?

Comment

• mousechild
                      Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                      Now help me out here, which one is Liver-Lips McGrowl?

The one on the right.

I thought about saying they should have the bears cover George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars, but I couldn't bring myself to type it.
                      Last edited by mousechild; 01-17-2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• Ranger Rick
                        Ok time for cocoa
                        • Dec 2005

CBJ sing - Meatloaf - Pink Floyd - Moody Blues? No rap.
                        Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                        How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
                        Originally posted by steamboatpete
                        Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Comment

• GhostHost2
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jun 2007

The Country Bears seem to be a love it or hate it type of thing. I for one love it, and desperately want them back. At DL they would actually maintain the bears and change shows according to season (Christmas). WDW doesn't maintain the bears and they don't play the Christmas show anymore, but DL would.

Comment

• Cmash95
                            Banned User
                            • Jul 2005

I remember the country vacation hoedown and would love songs like california girls and surfin usa unfortunately i read somewhere that the mountain was built in such a way that they couldnt construct a theater inside it. It would be nice to have the bears back though if they could come up with another way of building a theater. it would fit with the mountain theme and would be lots of fun.

Comment

• dland_lover
                              MiceChat Moderator
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                              Of course, any Californian version of the Country Bear Playhouse would also need Humphrey the Bear and J. Audubon Woodlore to host the show.
                              Why? I have seen this opinion expressed by several MCers, and I don't understand why they have to be added. Please explain.

Not to say that I don't love Humphrey and J.A. Woodlore, I just don't see why they absolutely need to be put in the show, esp. kicking the only true host, Henry, to the curb. I also feel that the CBs shouldn't be put into DCA, but rather, Frontierland. But, that appears to only be my opinion so far.

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
                              I remember the country vacation hoedown and would love songs like california girls and surfin usa unfortunately i read somewhere that the mountain was built in such a way that they couldnt construct a theater inside it. It would be nice to have the bears back though if they could come up with another way of building a theater. it would fit with the mountain theme and would be lots of fun.
                              As I understand it, the infrastructure inside the mountain is such that it could not be re-worked in the time constraints of this first stage, and that any additions or changes are being put off until the second phase (if it goes through), when more construction resources would be available. I could be wrong, though.

And for the record: I LOVE the Country Bears, and VERY eagerly await their return, even if it means in DCA.

Comment

• Aladdin
                                Prince Ali
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                If the country bears ever assume residence in California, Woody Guthrie is certainly the most appropriate match. And, "This Land Is Your Land" is among the songs that naturally lend themselves to this kind of treatment.

In response to the 1st post, the triplets did sing "I wish they all could
                                be California Bears" in the summer show.

And YES! They would need to have Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey Bear
                                in the show "Pickin' up the Trash!"

In the meantime, there is no reason why they couldn't have walk
                                around characters of these two ~ with "PUSH"!!!!
                                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Disney Wrassler
                                  Get the Iodine!
                                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                  • Jul 2005

California-Cation- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
                                    Why? I have seen this opinion expressed by several MCers, and I don't understand why they have to be added. Please explain.

Not to say that I don't love Humphrey and J.A. Woodlore, I just don't see why they absolutely need to be put in the show, esp. kicking the only true host, Henry, to the curb. I also feel that the CBs shouldn't be put into DCA, but rather, Frontierland. But, that appears to only be my opinion so far.
                                    I originally held a similar opinion, but I eventually was able to envision a way a new show might be developed that changes the focus from the bear band to J. Audubon Woodlore and Humphrey the Bear. I've always believed that those two characters would make ideal ambassadors for the California park, and a salvaged Country Bear Playhouse might be a perfect way to give them more of a showcase.

Original songs are great, but I can just as easily see how the works of the prolific Dust Bowl-songwriter Woody Guthrie could serve as a uniquely Californian answer to the folk music in the original "Country Bear Jamboree." And, the themes of some of those songs would fit well with the existing Grizzly Recreation Area and Route 66.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                                      • Jun 2005

I never knew much about Woody Guthrie until I saw a nice tribute to him at the Redlands Bowl last Summer.

"Pastures of Plenty," created and performed by The Vanaver Caravan, is an interesting and well-rounded show that has the potential to serve as inspiration for some sort of new presentation at the California park.

Comment

• sleepybear
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jul 2007

ohhh I do want CBJ back oh I do I do.

Even at DCA, but please NOT "added" to GRR. That ride is fine and doesn't need any bears in clothes singing. Ugh!

I would like a theatre please, with seats and the talking heads that hang on the wall (We know where those are!) and I want some of the old show mixed into some new favorites about California.

What's with that Brother Bear area? Let's use that as our new CBJ home-- I've never been in there and I've never seen the movie. But I have the soundtrack--I'm not sure how that happened. And I don't even like the soundtrack. So bulldoze the thing and bring back the Country Bears!!!

Long Live the CBJ!! I'm going to go watch CBJ on YouTube RIGHT NOW!! and cry.
                                        To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X