This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it so expensive?

It's a question I get on almost a daily basis (it probably doesn't help that I work in merchandise) but nonetheless something I've been curious about myself.

Not so much why are we "expensive" but when did it become almost a universally accepted theory that a trip to Disneyland was going to break your bank? Did guests back in the 50's, 60's and 70's find the park an expensive outing with the family as some of our guests do today?

After doing some minor research on yesterland.com and with my trusty inflation calculator in hand I discovered that a family of four (2 Adults, 2 Children 12+) could purchase a 15-Coupon Ticket Book for each member and come out to a total of $19 in 1966. After inflation this cost is $123.66.

For this same family to experience a whole day at the park today would cost $244.00 (almost double what it was in 1966 after inflation). Now I don't personally find this expensive, but I guess there are some that do. So my question is at what point in time did Disney become "expensive" or has it just always been?

Food and merch couldn't be analyzed because there is no real good data on the cost of these items back then versus today. Any thoughts?
    Class of 2005...

Re: Why is it so expensive?

I think the entry ticket price is a bit absurd, but it is in line with other theme parks and it does not keep me away.....well, I usually just buy an AP now. Ia m kind of glad it is so high ....in a way....I mean I see the types of people the low costs of knotts and magic mountain brings in and I wouldn't want to deal with that all the time at DL. I ahven't been to those two parks in years for that reason.

Comment

As long as visitors keep clicking the turnstiles at record paces, they'll keep increasing the price. Its capitalism at its best. You charge what the market will bear. Also keep in mind how much more elaborate the ride systems are now than they were back in 66. I think if you look at how much it cost to build a ride and staff it back then and then compared it to today, even with the increase in inflation factored in, that it would be exponentially higher.

Comment

For our family which is 2 adults and a 6 year old it costs somewhere around $1,000 to $1,200 to take a four day trip to Disneyland. Not only are the tickets expensive but the hotel, the gas to get there, the food and of course those dreaded souvenirs.

When we had our AP the cost of the trip went down $500 (which is how much 2 adult/1 child 4 day park hoppers cost).

Even though it's costly it's worth it to us because the quality family time that we get to spend together at the resort is amazing. We spend almost every minute with each other for 4 days in a row and that just doesn't happen in the "real world".
        Foolish Mortal
        sigpic

Comment

I think you'll find that automobile costs have risen greater than inflation as well. It's about profitability and market support. If you sell cakes and are making a 5% profit and you can increase that to 40% and the market will support it, wouldn't you?
          Kenny the Pirate
          AKA Bad Mood t' Blackhearted
          Disney Dream Job Pirate Winner 2007
          Full WDW character and show schedules: www.kennythepirate.com
          Follow my adventures on twitter: www.twitter.com/kennypirate

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
            I think the entry ticket price is a bit absurd, but it is in line with other theme parks and it does not keep me away.....well, I usually just buy an AP now. Ia m kind of glad it is so high ....in a way....I mean I see the types of people the low costs of knotts and magic mountain brings in and I wouldn't want to deal with that all the time at DL. I ahven't been to those two parks in years for that reason.
            I agree here; I mean if Disneyland had buy a ticket and get rest of the season free, do you really want a buncha kids running around making out and trashing up the park? When you go to 6 flags, its really about running from ride to ride and then just leaving, there's absolutely no ambiance & it seems more like a cow farm.

Comment

Hey, Disneyland has to pay the bills somehow. They use electricity 2/7 for 53 years straight and all the CMs they have to pay!!!

Comment

What I've noticed is the last 10yrs worth of price increases...seems every year the resort hotel rooms get jacked up an addt'l $40/night. I believe the reason is pure greed, soaking the market for what it will bear. And rightfully so.
                Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

Disney has learned long ago, people will pay for quality. This is magnified by the fact that it is for the precious children.

Comment

I do think the AP's have gone up way too much. However, if the prices were lower - there might be many, many more people in the parks. I think it's good to have a balance, and go with what the market (and the parks) can bear.

If the current prices were too high, and nobody was visiting - they'd have to lower the price (or give better vacation deals, etc.)
                    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                    on Bay Lake.

Comment

AP prices are too low--selling DL cheap. Raise the price and start regulation, says I.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                        Disney has learned long ago, people will pay for quality. This is magnified by the fact that it is for the precious children.
                        I can hear the drippy Disney commercial music playing in the background as you typed that one!

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreetcm View Post
                          After doing some minor research on yesterland.com and with my trusty inflation calculator in hand I discovered that a family of four (2 Adults, 2 Children 12+) could purchase a 15-Coupon Ticket Book for each member and come out to a total of $19 in 1966. After inflation this cost is $123.66.

For this same family to experience a whole day at the park today would cost $244.00 (almost double what it was in 1966 after inflation).

Any thoughts?
                          A few:

Inflation: I know that there are "official" numbers provided by the gov't, but the truth is just about everything today costs more than 6X what it did in in 1966. For instance: An Orange county house that cost 25K back then would eaily fetch 500K today. A nice car back then was under 3K, today it would be 30K.

Comparing apples and oranges: DL has changed a lot since 1966. Attractions are now a lot more high tech and hence more expensive. A new E ticket can easily cost $100 million. Using the 6X inflation ratio that would be about $17 million, which was the total cost for the original DL in 1955.

Passports vs. tickets: I remember the ticket books. I also remember running out of "good" tickets early in the day and my Dad forking over even more more money than was spent originally to buy enough E and D tickets to get us through the rest of the day.

APs: They didn't exist back then, so everybody paid the same. The were no APs who came 50 or more times a year, at a daily cost of only a few dollars.
                          Last edited by fkurucz; 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by All4dISNEY View Post
                            What I've noticed is the last 10yrs worth of price increases...seems every year the resort hotel rooms get jacked up an addt'l $40/night. I believe the reason is pure greed, soaking the market for what it will bear. And rightfully so.
                            The hotel prices don't bother me because there are plenty of offsite options within walking distance. If someone is willing to pay $400 for a night at the GC, all I can say is: better them than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                              I can hear the drippy Disney commercial music playing in the background as you typed that one!
                              When you wish upon a star!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X