This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vents under New Orleans Square

On the bottom walkway closest to Rivers of America across from New Orleans Square, there are two vents in the wall that are always making noise. What are those for?

Are they ventilation for the underground part of Pirates?

Re: Vents under New Orleans Square

I believe so. The air coming from those vents smells like the inside of Pirates, IIRC.

Comment

They are not for the underground portion of Pirates. Pirates goes nowhere near the Rivers of America. Pirates goes out towards DCA. The train goes over the part of the ride where you now see Davey Jones in the fog "waterfall". The closest Pirates gets to the ROA is the part where you float around the bend and into the unload area. Right by the parrot and the treasure map.

I'm not certain what the vents are for though I know it has been discussed before.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
        They are not for the underground portion of Pirates. Pirates goes nowhere near the Rivers of America. Pirates goes out towards DCA. The train goes over the part of the ride where you now see Davey Jones in the fog "waterfall". The closest Pirates gets to the ROA is the part where you float around the bend and into the unload area. Right by the parrot and the treasure map.

I'm not certain what the vents are for though I know it has been discussed before.
        I'm not talking about the back show building but the front building, the underground part of Pirates which is directly below the load area and Blue Bayou. The vents are less than 100 feet from there so they could easily be for Pirates. I can't think of anything else underground that they would have vents for.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
          I can't think of anything else underground that they would have vents for.
          New Orleans Square has a kitchen facility underground.

Comment

AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day o 2010
            Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
            Older photo
            New Photo

Member of
            MiceChat WDW Trip
            Next trip
            2014 Dec, 31

Comment

It also be the Light towel for Fantasmis

also the Kitchen facility.
              AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day o 2010
              Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
              Older photo
              New Photo

Member of
              MiceChat WDW Trip
              Next trip
              2014 Dec, 31

Comment

I've never noticed those before! maybe they have some storage down there that connects underneath the pirates front room?

Datameister might know
                "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

There's the New Orleans Main Kitchen basement areas that are under the Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans and French Market buildings. But I'll bet it doesn't come out toward the River past the east walls of the buildings.

The other much more likely possibilty for those vents is the equipment rooms for Fantasmic! - they have underground power rooms with all the sound amplifiers, lighting gear, the digital recorders for the soundtrack, dimmer racks, etc. for running the show. And the three Fantasmic! lighting towers (the center tower is right next to those vents) retract down into their own underground equipment vaults.

All these underground rooms have to be continually ventilated 24/7 to prevent gas or moisture buildup, considering they are storing moisture sensitive lighting equipment in there. And the fans also run to remove excess heat from the equipment - not much during the day, but quite a bit while the show is running.

--<< Bruce >>--
                  There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

This is kind of off topic but how close do you think Pirates gets to DCA?

Comment

Originally posted by brandond6 View Post
                      This is kind of off topic but how close do you think Pirates gets to DCA?
                      Not very close at all. Check out a satellite view of Disneyland and you'll see. Google Maps, for instance.

Comment

Not very close, here is a marked Satellite Map...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1632932

The large Rectangular Building south of the POTC buildings is Indiana Jones, then you have the Tram Area and part of Downtown Disney and the Grand Californian prior to getting to DCA.....
                        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                          I'm...talking about...the front building, the underground part of Pirates which is directly below the load area and Blue Bayou.
                          There is no part of Pirates that is under the load area.

Really, there is no part of Pirates that is "underground," unless you consider passing through a tunnel under the berm as being "underground." But then, you'd have to concede to being underground when you pass under the entrance tunnels.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

Really, there is no part of Pirates that is "underground," unless you consider passing through a tunnel under the berm as being "underground." But then, you'd have to concede to being underground when you pass under the entrance tunnels.
                            Both drops, the skeleton/crab area, the lightning, the "drinking room", the treasure room, not to mention the final scene before going up again are all underground, right below the load area, the bayou and the Blue Bayou Restaurant.

The tunnel under the berm takes you to the back show building where we have the cannon battle scene and the town.
                            Last edited by Mojave; 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

::buzzer sounds:: Wrong answer. The first part of the lower grotto is below the loading area and bayou.

Okay, let's just put this in terms of simple facts: most of Pirates takes place below ground level. The loading area and float through the Bayou, in addition to the turn before the loading area, are the only parts that are about at ground level outside. You go below the onstage ground level when you into the upper grotto, and by the time you make it into the second show building, you're below the backstage ground level, too. Can we agree on that?

Regarding the question in this thread, I'm not sure. I'm honored, however, that my name would be mentioned before my arrival, though. :yea:

Here's what I do know. There is indeed a massive kitchen facility below New Orleans Square. However, it doesn't come out that far toward RoA. It's possible that the ventilation is extended out to that area, but I'd say it's unlikely. Same could go for the below-grade parts of Pirates, which don't come quite as close to RoA. My vote goes for Fantasmic!-related activity.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X