Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Disneyland Without the Rides... Would You?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Without the Rides... Would You?

I had an odd thought a few minutes ago, so I decided to make a thread about it. The question is this: If Disneyland existed today but did not have all the major attractions it has now, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Fantasyland Dark Rides, etc., would you still go? Assuming the landscaping, buildings, theming and all remained, would the level of immersion be enough to bring you back, or without the rides, is Disneyland pointless?
    Yes, but only if the price was reduced.
    61.90%
    Yes, and I'd pay today's admission prices.
    6.67%
    No, without the rides Disneyland is nothing.
    22.86%
    Other, please discuss.
    8.57%
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Re: Disneyland Without the Rides... Would You?

It would still be a lovely park to go to - there's just no way I'd pay the admission price to go through a park.
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Walt Disney created a 'land' - taking us from reality into the "Happiest Place on Earth". It was an escape.....and in 1955, much of what we have today was not in place......and it was terribly popular then.

Indeed I would still attend.........but yes, the park would definitely have to have a greatly greatly reduce entrance fee.

Interesting thread topic .

Comment

Most Trip Reports you see are based around just rides. Disneyland without rides is like a phone without service; its useless.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say that Disneyland without the rides is nothing. But it would definitely be something different so I'd have to decide if that something different would be worth going to or not.

Comment

I think I'd still go, but, I'd be really sad that it didn't have rides. It wouldn't hold near the allure it does to me now. But, since I've been there for 40+ years, through my life, I'd have to still go.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkViiMonorail View Post
              Most Trip Reports you see are based around just rides. Disneyland without rides is like a phone without service; its useless.
              I don't know about that. It seems to me that most trip reports are based on the 'experience' as a whole. There have been numerous times where I've gone to Disneyland, not gotten on one attraction, and still had a really nice time......not discounting what you say, but the attractions aren't the 'everything' of Disneyland.

I love Space Mountain......but if I'm sitting at Coca Cola Corner listening to piano music, it's the atmosphere that I am enthralled by. Or on a Hot Summer Saturday Night at Carnation Plaza Gardens listening to Big Band Music - it's wonderful time at best - and being at Disneyland makes it all the more rich.

The attractions are huge, but not the entire atmosphere, in my opinion.

Comment

Disneyland would not exist today if it had no rides. It would have failed within the first 10 years, been torn down and made into a parking lot or something. Would I go? I don't know, I don't live in that alternate reality
                dreams. come. true.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
                  I don't know about that. It seems to me that most trip reports are based on the 'experience' as a whole. There have been numerous times where I've gone to Disneyland, not gotten on one attraction, and still had a really nice time......not discounting what you say, but the attractions aren't the 'everything' of Disneyland.
                  Agreed.

I'd still go, at a reduced cost of course.
                  I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
                  That explains the trouble that I'm always in...
                  sigpic

Comment

I'd still go, but I would not enjoy the swim to Tom Sawyer's Island.

Comment

Disneyland without the rides is like Google without search capabilities--only more so. Yeah, there's a lot of other REALLY great stuff, but that stuff is all peripheral. Attractions are the main attraction. Exterior theming, beautiful landscaping, and so forth are all absolutely fantastic...but they're not what makes the theme park world go 'round.

I voted for "other" because I'd make a point of visiting once. But that would probably be it. Unless admission were free, in which case I'd make much more frequent visits.

Comment

It depends on what you call a ride. Disneyland was always about experiences from an authentic salon show to shopping in an 1860's antique shop in New Orleans.

There are fewer of the non-ride unique experiences left. I'd still go to eat in the Blue Bayou or explore the Island. Unless the rafts to the island count as a ride. Heck, the Blue Bayou is in a ride so the line is fairly fuzzy.

Ok, I've confused myself now.

Comment

Nope. To me the attractions play a major part in my "escape" when I visit disneyland. I don't know like I enjoy walk around through the various lands and seeing all the smiling faces and everyone having a great time. But gettin on the attractions and having a blast with my family or friends puts that smile on my face. Mainly BLAB woooo!

Comment

When I think of Disneyland, I don't think of rides. I really don't. If I could just go to Disneyland and be there, knowing of all the magic that was around me, I'd be very content. It's a happy place. It's a magical world. I would be happy to visit Disneyland and not ride anything. I would be happy to just go there and see the happiness unfold around me. I don't know if it could happen without the rides though. The rides add to the theming of the park. The facades are very important to the whole. I think the better question would be, would you go to Disneyland just for the sake of being there? I would. The rides are necessary because they create the environment and the magic. I could go to Disneyland every day of my life and never ride a thing, and I would be content. The problem with that is that the rides are needed to keep the show going. So long as I had a show around me, and the magic was still happening, I would definitely go and not ride anything.

Comment

Heck - I play VMK just to get the atmosphere of the parks, so yeah, i think it's safe to say I'd go even without the rides. Just main Street to the hub is probably my favorite area anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X