Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applegeek
    started a topic Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

Ok, guys...I'm stumped with this one. About 1981 + or -, in a batch of family photos from Disneyland. Every other photo in this envelope was from Disneyland, so I can only assume this was also.

I can't figure out where this was. Disneyland or Disneyland Hotel or ??? Looks like they really spent a lot of time detailing the ship out <Laughing>.

• mousechild
    replied
    Re: Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post

And, Mousechild, not so much the current department. Maybe 10 years ago?
    No, I will stand by my comment. The best the current group could do with $175M was the sub rehab. In less than a year the AAs are already showing problems, and the story is weak at best. I bet they couldn't build the ship in the OP for less than $30M.

Leave a comment:

• Applegeek
    replied

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
    It's at Magic Mountain. That structure in the background is the Aqua Theatre where they had diving and dolphin shows.

That pirate ship was a puppet show, and a bad one at that. It was located in the lagoon/water area across from Goldrusher and at the time, there were a few buildings that housed food places, like a hot dog building and a burger building. Then they tore those all down and built the one stand alone building that is there today.
    THANK YOU Olympicnut!!

See...Just another reason MiceChat is really cool!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

I hate being negative, but I'm a little more siding with Mousechild on the issue. Je vous presente BLAB and Haunted Mansion Holiday. I'm exaggerating, of course--I mean, naturally, those two are light-years ahead of this pirate ship, but yeah...

Leave a comment:

• tinkermonkey
    replied

O'nut - you are amazing!! Mystery solved!!!
    I do like the idea of the screen that comes down. If we ever get our projector, that would be a cool backyard way of having a screen thingy.

Leave a comment:

• mousechild
    replied

Originally posted by Applegeek View Post

To me this looks like what the Columbia would look like if built today by the current Imagineering department.

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Here's a link to the 1980 map of Magic Mtn. If you look at Goldrusher, you'll see the pirate ship across from it, with the Aqua Theatre to the right. These were the free park maps which is why they are so shabbily drawn.

http://members.tripod.com/heylownine/images/map80.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

It's at Magic Mountain. That structure in the background is the Aqua Theatre where they had diving and dolphin shows.

That pirate ship was a puppet show, and a bad one at that. It was located in the lagoon/water area across from Goldrusher and at the time, there were a few buildings that housed food places, like a hot dog building and a burger building. Then they tore those all down and built the one stand alone building that is there today.

Leave a comment:

• Applegeek
    replied

Originally posted by Lore View Post
    Perhaps the photo is from Marineland..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marineland_of_the_Pacific

I think I was there like once or twice, but I don't remember the willow trees...but that doesn't mean anything. You local-er residents would know much more about this.

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

That would be ironic, since two decades later, that site later served as a shooting location for a certain trilogy of Disney films that involved just slightly more convincing pirate ships.

Leave a comment:

• Lore
    replied

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marineland_of_the_Pacific

Leave a comment:

• ThomasJefferson
    replied

The building in the background must offer some hints (by the way, that big building looks curved).... also it appears as if there is some sort of parking lot light in the background too?

Leave a comment:

• composerboy
    replied

I think it's the old Red Onion on Katella near the park. They used to have (and maybe still do?) an outdoor area with a little hill and a pond like that. Maybe that was built for decoration one year?

Leave a comment:

• Applegeek
    replied

Originally posted by Leofoenget View Post
    ...I dont ever remember a pirate ship at MM or Knotts but who knows they are always doing stuff at Universal. Ask them if they went to any other parks that day.

just a thought
    It very well could have been. We feel like a collective bunch of idiots....and having a good laugh. But looking at that picture we're kind of glad we don't remember too closely <Still Laughing>

Leave a comment:

• Mtsplash
    replied

If that was DL........ then I would be very dissapointed.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X