Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Original Submarine Voyage Vs Finding Nemo

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Submarine Voyage Vs Finding Nemo

Well since I couldn't continue this convo in another thread here is a new one for this topic.

Please vote only if you are old enough to have been on both versions in their glory days. We all know that the original Submarine Voyage was on life support towards the end of its life thanks to Pressler and his horrible maintainance practices.

Original Submarine Voyage in Refurbishment 1964:
    http://davelandweb.com/sub/images/KT_50s60s_N16.jpg
    http://davelandweb.com/sub/images/CT_3_64_N21B.jpg

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage End of Construction Feb 27th, 2007.
    http://davelandweb.com/sub/images/nemo/DSC_5632.jpg
    http://davelandweb.com/sub/images/nemo/DSC_5634.jpg
    http://davelandweb.com/sub/images/nemo/DSC_5281.jpg

Which do you prefer and does the original Submarine Voyage have more detail than the new one?
    Submarine Voyage
    52.73%
    Finding Nemo
    47.27%
    Last edited by Seawolf; 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM.

Re: Original Submarine Voyage Vs Finding Nemo

And I'm of the opinion that the new ride combines projections, static elments, and animatronics in a well composited way. That this composition feels far MORE exciting and full of kinetic energy than the old one. And in that sense it feels more detailed and more filled out.

I believe the old attraction had many fairly boring (albeit 3 dimensional) items that just spun around in circles, or even floated randomly in the water, and very few actual articulated animatronics.
    I believe the new attraction uses sparse animatronics, but uses them well and not cheaply. They don't simply spin around in cirlces or float around randomly teathered to a rock.

Artistically speaking, the old attraction often felt like a hodge podge of sea-related elements with too little thought given to composition, placement, color palettes, etc.
    Artistcally speaking, in the new attraction all the individual elments tie in together cohesively, and for the most part also storywise. You don't simply look at sea-related stuff underwater. You see a fantastical painting of the sea. The way you see a fantastical painting of the Spanish Main when you ride Pirates of the Carribean.

And thus, I believe that the new attraction feels more detailed, because it had for more attention given to the details.
    Last edited by idreamofjeani; 03-01-2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

This poll is biased in its presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRakerSCM View Post
        This poll is biased in its presentation.
        Ok what would make it unbias in your opinion? The pictures tell a story far better than my words ever could.

Comment

I prefer the original subs. They were always exciting as a kid (the only time I ever rode them). It was one of my family's favorite rides. FNSV just feels cheap and underwhelming. Too much reliance is put on the projectors, and cheap-o looking AA figures. And yes, there is a BIG difference between cheesy, but kinda realistic AA figures, and the current cartoon-crap AA figures.

I wish they would have just re-done the subs as an updated version of the original, keeping the exploration of Liquid Space of primary importance throughout the entirety of the ride (not just a little snippet of narration from the beginning of the ride, as it currently stands).

Comment

- Pictures are not of a finished product
            - You're focusing on only one area of the attraction
            - The poll doesn't even have the correct full attraction name (showing the obvious bias)

Comment

I'll never be able to truly formulate an opinion on this, since I never rode the original. I'll probably get to ride the new version for the first time in a week, so at least then my opinions of FNSV will be based on personal experience rather than photos and others' stories and presentations, as it currently is.

Comment

Not sure which is more detailed, but for me, the Nemo version was nowhere near as fun.

I went in excited, and climbed out thinking how much time and money had gone into it, and how John gave it his all, and how all that effort resulted in the show I'd just seen. Not that it was bad, just... really self-conscious.

Like one of those DVDs you watch once and then stays on the shelf, I doubt I'll be going back.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

- The poll doesn't even have the correct full attraction name (showing the obvious bias)
                  i must agree
                  Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Indeed, myself as well.

Comment

1. I have given three different angles of FNSV. I have only given the original one angle in comparison.
                      2. The attraction name is irrelevant, everyone knows it's Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, I just didn't feel like typing it all out.

Comment

That poll is biased! What's a Finding Nemo? It's called the clown fish ride!

Some scenes ARE better composed with more interesting elements than the often poorly maintained original journey through liquid space. Most of the Nemo scenes are, however, rather clausterphobic due to the need to show a clown fish. It's somewhat harder to buy into the dry for wet and the video projections as well. The worst looking scene in Nemo is the volcano scene, which looks worse than my Junior High School project. The same idea was done much better in the original Submarine Voyage with gapping red lit bubbling cracks and toppling columns.

Comment

1) You just now added in the 3rd pic, again of an unfinished product. Having 3 pix compared to 1 is not an excuse.

2) That's not an excuse, the name is relevant, just because you don't feel like typing it out doesn't mean it isn't.

3) You're still only focusing on one part of the attraction.

Comment

Without taking theme into the equation and basing it just on the ride, I voted for Nemo.

Comment

Those pictures aren't fair at all.

http://www.disneygeek.com/progress/s...7_IMG_4126.jpg

http://www.disneygeek.com/progress/s...2_IMG_7812.jpg

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                              ~

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X