Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

^ If this is not about aesthetics then why in the world is it the "Save the Rainforest" campaign with Mary Blair in the logo? Shouldn't it be called "Save the Children of the World" if we were truly protecting the message behind the ride?
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

Mary Blair was part of that message.
      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
        ^ If this is not about aesthetics then why in the world is it the "Save the Rainforest" campaign with Mary Blair in the logo? Shouldn't it be called "Save the Children of the World" if we were truly protecting the message behind the ride?
        That photo of Mary Blair shows her holding a character model from the Papua New Guinea rainforest show scene. It goes hand-in-hand with the "Save the Rainforest" slogan.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I don't understand the "Save the Rainforest" part either. From what I've read, I don't know what's going on. Is that scene being entirely removed for some silly American scene?
          WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Give it a rest!!! Walt indspired change!!! Nobody argued when the changed POTC... I havnt heard many arguments about the changing of DCA. Just let the changes hapeen because they will continue to change long after we are all gone!!

Comment

Originally posted by MKfamily View Post
              Give it a rest!!! Walt indspired change!!! Nobody argued when the changed POTC... I havnt heard many arguments about the changing of DCA. Just let the changes hapeen because they will continue to change long after we are all gone!!
              How insightful. This has all been addressed many times before.

Comment

>>Nobody argued when the changed POTC... <<

Yes we did.

Comment

• Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep &quot;it's a small world&quot; a classic.

What happened to the days of Disneyland having attractions that were Disneyland specific as opposed to Disney Brand specific? There's a place for both, I believe, but most of Disneyland's specific attractions have been extremely popular. I'm thinking about the Golden Horseshoe Revue. Outside of the reference to Slue Foot Sue and Pecos Bill, that show was not something that we'd ever experienced before in a Disney movie. Yet, it consistantly packed houses and was a popular show for over 30 years. Haunted Mansion, same thing. There are no "Disney" characters there - the characters themselves have become recognizable Disney characters. Main Street, Tom Sawyer Island, Big Thunder Mountain, the list goes on. IASW has been popular for over 40 years without having a "Disney" character inside.

The point of this is that people come to Disneyland not just to see Mickey Mouse or their favorite Disney characters. That's a plus, however repeat visitors come because they get the chance to be taken to far away lands, experience eras gone by, step into imaginative atmospheres, and get a glimpse of the future. Adding Disney characters doesn't make that better. It only reminds us of corperate, in my opinion.

Comment

I agree with neverlandtink... but my whole point is change will occur regarless on how anyone feels! As much as people complain about change, they will still ride Small world to see the changes (just like if it contained hidden mickeys).

Comment

PS. POTC had great improvements...always has been my favorite ride...and after the changes...it still is!!!

Comment

OK, here's the problem with all of this hullabaloo:

Nobody is complaining about them ripping out the original flume! All of you are howling over the addition of Disney characters and a short portion of the ride dedicated to America while nobody is bemoaning the replacing of the original flume to accommodate America's fatter populous.

I say either 1) leave the flume as is and place large industrial scales at the entrance of the ride (similar to the height requirements). If any one individual exceeds, say, 350lbs, they cannot ride IASW. In addition, security will kick them out of their scooter and snatch the turkey leg/churro/ice cream/lollipop from their greasy hands and force them to walk the rest of the day.

Or 2) refurbish the flume, add the Disney characters and America portion, but replace all of the American children with morbidly obese ones. These kids can be depicted gorging on McDonald's french fries (cross promotion!), playing video games, watching TV, or failing out of remedial school subjects.

Comment

I'm for the changes -- but the other day I had an "anti-America-scene" moment.

Mostly, having a waking nightmare that the backgrounds were being salvaged from Superstar Limo.

It's not an improvement when a little "small world" kid pops his head out the door of the Bauble Room holding up a wad of cash.

Comment

Though my signature may state other wise, I don't want to see this scene go, I don't mind the Disney characters, but the Rainforest should stay.

Comment

Originally posted by MKfamily View Post
                              I agree with neverlandtink... but my whole point is change will occur regarless on how anyone feels! As much as people complain about change, they will still ride Small world to see the changes (just like if it contained hidden mickeys).
                              Change for the sake of change is never a positive direction.

On the financial side, I had a bit of a thought. Instead of not going, Disneyland Annual Passholders should go as much as possible while not spending money at Disneyland. One would be using Disneyland's services without contributing to the revenue stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustymuscle View Post

Nobody is complaining about them ripping out the original flume! All of you are howling over the addition of Disney characters and a short portion of the ride dedicated to America while nobody is bemoaning the replacing of the original flume to accommodate America's fatter populous.

I say either 1) leave the flume as is and place large industrial scales at the entrance of the ride (similar to the height requirements). If any one individual exceeds, say, 350lbs, they cannot ride IASW. In addition, security will kick them out of their scooter and snatch the turkey leg/churro/ice cream/lollipop from their greasy hands and force them to walk the rest of the day.

Or 2) refurbish the flume, add the Disney characters and America portion, but replace all of the American children with morbidly obese ones. These kids can be depicted gorging on McDonald's french fries (cross promotion!), playing video games, watching TV, or failing out of remedial school subjects.

Funny. I'm not against the new flume because a) it's just the method of how our boats get from point a to point b. b) flumes, tracks, boats, whatever gets replaced all the time... this one just kinda never did.

Now if they decide to change the ride from river ride to something else, you'll start hearing more complaints about that.

It comes down to this: NEW changes that respect the original vision is fine. The new flume doesn't alter the original ride significantly. You still ride in boats. You still go down a river past all the scenes. where's the problem? (yes, obesity IS a problem in america but it has nothing to do with the real problems of the ride changes.. though it is ironic given the name of the ride).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                  Change for the sake of change is never a positive direction.
                                  They did it with Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise in the past few years. No one bemoaned those additions as being "change for the sake of change."

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                  On the financial side, I had a bit of a thought. Instead of not going, Disneyland Annual Passholders should go as much as possible while not spending money at Disneyland. One would be using Disneyland's services without contributing to the revenue stream.
                                  You've got to be kidding?! You're still paying for an Annual Pass!! Plus, that would only work if you had a Premium AP, since all other people have to pay for parking. That's such a flawed argument it isn't even funny.
                                  "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

I have seen the new dolls are they are not that bad looking. When was the last time Small World has been upgrated?

Comment

A weekly photo and news blog from the Disneyland Resort in California.

| | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Rustymuscle View Post

I don't even know if I should take this seriously.

The replacement of the original flume is an infrastructure upgrade - and it won't change the actual show. Adding characters and changing show scenes DOES change the show and its core message. Your argument is beyond laughable.

They did it with Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise in the past few years. No one bemoaned those additions as being "change for the sake of change."
                                        This has already been addressed in this thread. If you're going to come late in the game, you better make sure you've done your homework first.

The changes at the Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise do not fundamentally change the core messages and/or themes of these attractions. For the most part, the additions, enhancements, and upgrades enhance the overall guest experience at these shows by contributing to the attraction themes.

Characters in "it's a small world" muddle the theme of world peace sung by the Children of the World and are superfluous. Thus, they should not be implemented.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Those changes added a new layer of storytelling to the existing attraction. They all related to what was there and the direction of the attraction.

You've got to be kidding?! You're still paying for an Annual Pass!! Plus, that would only work if you had a Premium AP, since all other people have to pay for parking. That's such a flawed argument it isn't even funny.
                                          If one has already paid for the Passport, Disney already has the money and they would prefer you not to return then as they win. Until it expires that gives one access to Disney's services. The potentially low price per visit of the Annual Passports are offset by expected expenditures within the parks. An Annual Passholder who goes to the parks and does not buy anything is costing Disney.

Comment

Working...
                                          X