Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Just a quick question. Would the revamped rainforest also get rid of the Polynesian dancing dolls and Australian/New Zealand dolls?

Comment

I just hope that every realizes that when you write letters and e-mails, they are not going to the people who made the decision to change the attraction, they are going to hourly Cast Members who write you back. I mean, yes, your comments would be placed into some data base, but the decision to change the attraction has already been made. I think that writing e-mails and letters is just making more work for someone else to do.

Ya know?

Comment

No, if enough emails get sent on the same topic, someone higher up notices. There's a chain of command.
        The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
          No, if enough emails get sent on the same topic, someone higher up notices. There's a chain of command.
          No, you are right, there is a chain of command. But, I don't think that it will change things the way that you want them too. The numbers probably get sent to WDI, but I don't think that it would change their mind on what they are doing to the attraction.

The "higher ups" are looking to get the numbers up on the attraction, from the every day guest, not to please the Disney Afficionadios. The numbers were never high on that attraction, and if adding Stitch, Mickey, and Peter Pan to the attraction will get more kids from today's world in the attraction ... then more power to 'em.

I don't expect attractions to stay the same way forever ... that the is great thing about Disneyland and why is it still popular to this day. Everything in life changes and evolves ... why not an attraction that was deeply in need of a change anyway?

I too, like others on this site, find it <b>very</b> interesting that if you were to go on this site months ago, or a year ago, and ask, "what attraction do you avoid most", the answers would have been IASW mostly up and down the board. Now WDI is looking to change that, and to add other things, and people are up in arms.

I don't get it.

I, like others again, think we should all wait to see what happens. If the people at WDI mess it up, then be upset about it. As of now, people are getting upset about things that they are hearing about from "sources" that we don't even know are 100% reliable. Not that they are feeding us lies, but someone might be working off of information that was true a month or a week ago, and that information might have changed now.

Comment

• Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep &quot;it's a small world&quot; a classic.

Originally posted by Malin View Post
            But you havn't seen the finished product so how can you call it cheap and tacky. You are making your mind up without seeing the final product because you don't like change.
            The issue is not aesthetics.

the only one's with hate are you because you don't wish it to change.
            Wrong. This is not an issue regarding change. It is regarding specific changes.

Originally posted by WickedQueen View Post
            No, you are right, there is a chain of command. But, I don't think that it will change things the way that you want them too. The numbers probably get sent to WDI, but I don't think that it would change their mind on what they are doing to the attraction.
            Apparently there are some still inside the company pushing for this not to happen.

The "higher ups" are looking to get the numbers up on the attraction, from the every day guest, not to please the Disney Afficionadios. The numbers were never high on that attraction, and if adding Stitch, Mickey, and Peter Pan to the attraction will get more kids from today's world in the attraction ... then more power to 'em.
            The characters do not alter why people say they dislike "it's a small world".

I don't expect attractions to stay the same way forever ... that the is great thing about Disneyland and why is it still popular to this day. Everything in life changes and evolves ... why not an attraction that was deeply in need of a change anyway?
            Agin, this isn't change vs. no change.

I too, like others on this site, find it <b>very</b> interesting that if you were to go on this site months ago, or a year ago, and ask, "what attraction do you avoid most", the answers would have been IASW mostly up and down the board. Now WDI is looking to change that, and to add other things, and people are up in arms.

I don't get it.
            That does not mean that those against these changes still did not like the attraction. I usually take a happy cruise every time I am at a Magic Kingdom. I was disappointed that I did not get to experience the attraction at Disneyland Paris. My avoid list has never included "it's a small world".

Comment

I dont understand the reason that more people will want to ride because there are disney characters in it. If you want to see more characters go in the emporium or fantasyland or watch disney movies.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedQueen View Post
                I just hope that every realizes that when you write letters and e-mails, they are not going to the people who made the decision to change the attraction, they are going to hourly Cast Members who write you back. I mean, yes, your comments would be placed into some data base, but the decision to change the attraction has already been made. I think that writing e-mails and letters is just making more work for someone else to do.

Ya know?
                Which goes back to the initial comment that media pressure is much more effective then a letter writing campaign. Public image is everything... attack it and you may change the decision.

On a side note Jericho was officially announced as being canceled today. Needless to say I am a bit bummed out about it. While it would be easy to claim it was lack of viewership, or lack of support from the network, I tend to walk the middle ground. I feel the timeslot and budget cuts prevented the show from "growing", and due to these changes some of the "diehard" simply quit watching. In the end we got an extra year, and it stands as a statement that enough pissed off people can change things every once in a while. I still have Supernatural... so all is not lost.
                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

It's actually really good that TMZ has run two different articles on this. It means it has legs.

I am wondering if anyone has tried getting the broadcast media involved. Better to do it while there is some momentum going on.

- Anatole

Comment

My main problem with the TMZ article is it ignores the thematic accommodations that Disney is making. I am not a big fan of the changes, but it's not just like Disney is throwing in their characters without reason. From what I've heard, the characters are basically going in where they fit into the existing areas of the ride (Peter/Wendy in UK, Belle and the Prince in France, Lilo/Stitch in Polynesia, etc). On top of that, I am also somewhat relieved that even with these proposed changes, they aren't completely ignoring the integrity of the ride or its distinct style because they are fitting the characters into it. If you watch the HKDL promo video with the IASW clips, you can see that Lilo isn't exactly recognizable immediately. She would be incredibly subtle and easy to overlook if not for the context of Stitch.

Still, I'm not really a big fan of the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                      Prior to Blair's family letter, my main reasoning for being AGAINST the changes was because of Mary Blair's influencial artwork. I'm a great fan of her's and I don't believe the changes should be made out of respect for her talents. I was comforted to learn that her family spoke out against it as well.

I haven't seen Disneyland's final product but I've seen enough videos, photos, and conceptual designs for Hong Kong and Paris to know darn well that it's not going to be a good fit. I also have a vivid imagination and often can picture how well it could work. No matter how much money is pumped into these additions, it will be cheap and tacky because it's not Mary Blair.

POTC's additions did take away from the attraction, but in a more vague manner. But Disney did it in such a way that was less intrusive than it could have been. Why I'm not as against it is because the additions were still Pirates. And not just any pirates... pirates that were inspired by the ride.

It's a Small World didn't inspire Mickey. Nor did Mickey inspire Small World. Stitch is a disruptive alien from outer space and definitely doesn't belong in the ride that celebrates world peace.
                      So you are admiting you are a massive fan of Mary Blair's artwork which is a good enough reason for WDI not to listen to you because your views are clearly bias. End of the day the characters have all been re designed to fit in with the current designed.

Also you are basing your opinion from artwork you have seen on the net and not any first hand knowledge. End of the day this is not the first time Disney has hidden characters in the attraction, and that has never taken away from the experience of the ride. In fact people have enjoyed serching for the characters.

I don't think anyone has the right to stop Disney from making the changes. I have no problem with people being against the idea, but to try and stop it from happening altogether, well its pathetic.

By the way please don't take any of my coments as a personal attack towards you!
                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Originally posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
                        the thematic accommodations that Disney is making.
                        Disney is making absolutely no thematic accommodations. The changes made to the characters are purely aesthetic. Theme runs much deeper than appearance. Theme has to do with the underlying unity. Disney has made it clear that these changes, at Hong Kong Disneyland, are about creating a commercial (introducing the characters to a new audience).

Comment

In the movie The Great Mouse Detective, there's a chase through a toy store. At one point, the little girl mouse Olivia is distracted by a bubble blowing elephant toy that bears a striking resemblence to Dumbo. Disney fans in the audience have a chance to say, "Oh, look! It's Dumbo!" and then move on with the story of the movie.

Picture if, instead, every scene from the movie had a character from another Disney movie. Mickey and Minnie and Bernard and Bianca and Jaq and Gus and every other mouse character walking around in the background and waving at the camera as Basil attempted to track down Prof. Ratigan. Heck, maybe we could even cut in Remy from Ratatouille and have him try to council Ratigan about his rat issues. Sure, they'd be in the background, but I think it would be a little distracting.

Another thing to think about is that Fantasyland has not only the dark rides, but also Storybookland already devoted to Disney movies, not to mention every parade and Fantasmic!.
                          "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                          Disney sequel):
                          Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                          Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                          Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                          Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                          Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

we are talking about a attraction here not a movie, but if you want to make comparisons based on this, how about that POTC movie that featured many references to the classic attraction. Did anyone feel distracted by this!

Another thing to look at is because this attraction is in Fantasyland, all the characters fit the theme perfectly.
                            Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

we are talking about a attraction here not a movie, but if you want to make comparisons based on this, how about that POTC movie that featured many references to the classic attraction. Did anyone feel distracted by this!

Another thing to look at is because this attraction is in Fantasyland, all the characters fit the theme perfectly.
                              no because pirates was based on a ride. the great mouse detective was not based off of dumbo, and IASW was most definitely NOT based on disney characters.

Comment

agreed!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X