Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I just sent an email.

What do you all think of an protest in the Esplanade?? Might sound corny.....
    I was thinking the same thing. Although I was thinking on Harbor Blvd at the Timon entrance. As long as we get the proper permits and keep it civil there's absolutley nothing Disney can do to kick us out.

Comment

Count me out of any protest. I don't mind being against something but I'd refuse to be a filthy picketer.

Comment

Originally posted by The International View Post
        And can someone explain to me how putting in an American scene, which I'm 100% sure will fit visually with the rest of the ride (meaning happy, smiling dolls) is "nationalistic fervor"? I'd usually reserve the phrase "nationalist fervor" for things with a little more gravity than dolls at a theme park but hey, that's me.
        I, too, do not see the 'perversion' of IASW's message with the inclusion of an 'American Room'. I would certainly prefer merely additions of 'American' elements rather than the removal of scenes to accomodate a newly added 'room'.
        Some would argue that the focus of attention on the United States is contrary to a 'One World' thematic message, but I just don't see it as a reason for much concern compared to the addition of Disney characters to an attraction where they clearly do not belong.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post
          At the bottom of the Contact Us page at disneyland.com, it says:

NOTICE: We are pleased to hear from our Guests and welcome your questions. However, be advised that our company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions, or materials other than those that we have specifically requested.

So they'll only hear what they WANT to hear??

Does this mean an email to the official site with the purpose of saving Small World would be a waste of time?

What about over the phone with Public Relations? Are they "allowed" to respond to this? I have a feeling they would tell me they have no idea what I'm talking about and then ask me if I've heard of the YoaMD. :bang:

I'm still going to try it, mind you, but I don't know how much good it will do. It seems MUCH more worth my time to write a well thought out letter to people who matter - Tony Baxter, Ed Grier, Robert Iger, etc. Or at least their secretaries.

MG, will you make a "Save the Rain Forest" banner for my sig?

Honestly, this effort in general will likely be a waste of time. But that's not the point.

Much like with the general elections in the US, we've become passive, uninterested, and detached from it due to the politics of the situation. If nothing else, we should voice our opinions for something we all take so much interest in - Disneyland.

If those opinions are ignored, at least they were heard.

Like Swab said, "Even the 'moderate' pig lost his home to the Big Bad Wolf."

Send postcards to DLR, WDI, WDC, if possible, send "it's a small world" postcards from the park. Send lots of those e-mails. Take those images in the OP and use them in your signature.

Use this code:
          PHP Code:
          [URL="http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/save_rainforest_keep_its_small-91695.html"]
          [
          IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/2313636927_7bc04369cb_m.jpg[/IMG]
          [/URL

Just try.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
            I, too, do not see the 'perversion' of IASW's message with the inclusion of an 'American Room'. I would certainly prefer merely additions of 'American' elements rather than the removal of scenes to accomodate a newly added 'room'.
            Some would argue that the focus of attention on the United States is contrary to a 'One World' thematic message, but I just don't see it as a reason for much concern compared to the addition of Disney characters to an attraction where they clearly do not belong.
            I understand why America isn't present, and I think it's a good move. It's supposed to remove attention from our own nationality, and allow us to focus on that of others and the idea that we can all live together in peace.

At the end of the day, adding America wouldn't necessarily bother me, but I think removing an entire scene in favor of it is in poor taste. Not only does it alter the message of the original show designers, but it takes away more of Mary Blair's iconic work in favor of a knock off painted in red, white, and blue.

I wonder, will the kids in the America section look bored, indifferent, and uninterested as they sing next to their daddy's big new shiny Hummer after the rainforest has been destroyed? It would certainly be fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
              Funny to think that the minds at Disney can be changed by a group of hard core Disney fanatics that probably make up way less than 1% of that parks attendance. Online pettitions, blogs, and emails wont do anything.

Does anyone actually think that Disney would stop whatever changes they are making right in the middle of the project, and reverse course? These changes have been planned for a long time, and for them to now change would surely mean they wouldnt be able to reopen the ride for the holidays.

Sorry to bring reality to this situation, but whats done, is done. If the general public finds the new version of the ride to be crap, then they will stop riding it. At that point when the turnstyle clicks plumment, then they will change. Think of it like Pirates Lair, most every hard core Disney fan on this site hates what they did, but if you look at the numbers, that island is as popular as ever.
              It's generally accepted that the massive "Save Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" campaign, while not successful in Florida, is one of the reasons the attraction still exists at Disneyland.
              The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                I understand why America isn't present, and I think it's a good move. It's supposed to remove attention from our own nationality, and allow us to focus on that of others and the idea that we can all live together in peace.
                Agreed. I certainly appreciate the reasoning behind America's exclusion from the attraction. It is merely an addition I can live with, since it doesn't directly impact the message, IMO. However, the removal of scenes to accomodate this new 'room' is unwise.
                At the end of the day, adding America wouldn't necessarily bother me, but I think removing an entire scene in favor of it is in poor taste. Not only does it alter the message of the original show designers, but it takes away more of Mary Blair's iconic work in favor of a knock off painted in red, white, and blue.
                Heartily agreed.

Comment

I gonna bet that a public protest would have little or no positive effect. A well written emotionally neutral letter will have a more positive effect. It will not have much of an effect, perhaps even less than an infinitesimal effect, but at least it would be seen as well reasoned. A protest would be seen by many as over the top. The protesters would be in effect protesting about 'minor' changes to a ride in an amusement park. Trying to spin that into a positive would be hard IMHO.
                  Originally posted by SummerInFL
                  Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
                  Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

There are two ways of looking at this, both of which should support this project in its entirety.

Firstly, Small World has been in horrible shape for a long time, and scenes like that did not make sense from the start. When Walt Disney moved this attraction from the World's Fair, he cut several scenes, and made modifications, because this ride is not a piece of "art." At the time, WED wanted to flood the building, but Walt wanted to reuse the cheap trough to save money. This is no act of history or art. It is a ride in a theme park, and Small World is an experience that allows children to see and hear different parts of the world. None of this has any real historical or artistic significance, and it was viewed as cheesy and mediocre the day that the ride opened. The claim to fame of this ride was that it was filled with animatronics and it has a big clock - there is no huge push to preserve any single scene, especially the aforementioned one, which is a meaningless hodgepodge of random animals. Doesn't this scene seem jumbled to you?

Secondly, don't you have faith in the current management's track record? While Disney of the late 1990's had a tendency to destroy things, like Tarzan's Treehouse and Tiki Room UNM, the current administration has no such desire to wreck any classics. The Subs, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and all the countless refurbishments have been entirely tasteful, and I don't see the need to be hugely skeptical of what Disney does. The company has been doing some great work in the past several years, and I, personally, am excited to see what the imagineers have up their sleeves for this refurbishment.

I must also note, the blog that is referenced to in the first post has no real "inside" connections, and is really only a group of disgruntled imagineers who have quit or were fired. Obviously they are going to protest anything that Disney changes, because they may have designed these things, or they may just have chips on their shoulders.

As for Al Lutz, he has a history of not getting his facts straight, and while it's great that he gets the ideas out there for projects, you may have noticed that much of what he says never turns out to be true at all. This is because he often cites projects that were entirely blue sky, and implies that they are on the front burner. Also, he often says things that are flat-out untrue, as his sources are sometimes uninformed. I'm not saying that the man is spreading lies, but he is not someone to be basing a petition off of. This pattern is hard to realize for new readers, as Al Lutz takes down his older articles, and disallows you from recognizing any patterns.

All I'm saying is, sit tight, and whatever Disney does to IASW will surely be tasteful, and if it really is a huge mess, then WDI will fix it. Spaceship Earth reopened in December in Epcot, and Disney freaks hated the second half of the ride, and the company went back and made major changes before the February opening. So, with that, relax. It will be fine, Small World will be a much better attraction when it opens, free of mold and boat jams.

Comment

Originally posted by dl1955pounds View Post
                      Firstly, Small World has been in horrible shape for a long time, and scenes like that did not make sense from the start. When Walt Disney moved this attraction from the World's Fair, he cut several scenes, and made modifications, because this ride is not a piece of "art." At the time, WED wanted to flood the building, but Walt wanted to reuse the cheap trough to save money. This is no act of history or art. It is a ride in a theme park, and Small World is an experience that allows children to see and hear different parts of the world. None of this has any real historical or artistic significance, and it was viewed as cheesy and mediocre the day that the ride opened. The claim to fame of this ride was that it was filled with animatronics and it has a big clock - there is no huge push to preserve any single scene, especially the aforementioned one, which is a meaningless hodgepodge of random animals. Doesn't this scene seem jumbled to you?
                      That you dismiss "it's a small world" as nothing more than a "mediocre" theme park ride is quite telling. If you fail to see the artistic value of the show, then I wonder how you get enjoyment out of Disneyland as a whole.
                      Secondly, don't you have faith in the current management's track record? While Disney of the late 1990's had a tendency to destroy things, like Tarzan's Treehouse and Tiki Room UNM, the current administration has no such desire to wreck any classics. The Subs, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and all the countless refurbishments have been entirely tasteful, and I don't see the need to be hugely skeptical of what Disney does. The company has been doing some great work in the past several years, and I, personally, am excited to see what the imagineers have up their sleeves for this refurbishment.
                      The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and Space Mountain al received refurbishments and show enhancements that stayed true to the show.

I find it interesting you conveniently left out controversial changes like Pirates of the Caribbean and Tom Sawyer Island.
                      I must also note, the blog that is referenced to in the first post has no real "inside" connections, and is really only a group of disgruntled imagineers who have quit or were fired. Obviously they are going to protest anything that Disney changes, because they may have designed these things, or they may just have chips on their shoulders.
                      Right, they definitely don't have any interest in quality show and preserving the art and ideals of those before them.

And of course, once they were fired they cut all contact with their former co-workers and artists. Of course, these sorts of creative professionals don't network... that would just be silly.
                      As for Al Lutz, he has a history of not getting his facts straight, and while it's great that he gets the ideas out there for projects, you may have noticed that much of what he says never turns out to be true at all. This is because he often cites projects that were entirely blue sky, and implies that they are on the front burner. Also, he often says things that are flat-out untrue, as his sources are sometimes uninformed. I'm not saying that the man is spreading lies, but he is not someone to be basing a petition off of. This pattern is hard to realize for new readers, as Al Lutz takes down his older articles, and disallows you from recognizing any patterns.
                      Recent leaks by Al that have been pretty correct.
                      - Pirate's Lair
                      - Pirates of the Caribbean
                      - DCA expansion
                      - Toy Story Midway Mania
                      - Fort Wilderness demolition
                      - New Monorail

All I'm saying is, sit tight, and whatever Disney does to IASW will surely be tasteful, and if it really is a huge mess, then WDI will fix it. Spaceship Earth reopened in December in Epcot, and Disney freaks hated the second half of the ride, and the company went back and made major changes before the February opening. So, with that, relax. It will be fine, Small World will be a much better attraction when it opens, free of mold and boat jams.
                      Spaceship Earth's second half is, as far as I can tell, still being panned as underwhelming and untrue to the attraction's core message and theme.
                      Last edited by MasterGracey; 03-06-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

>>and if it really is a huge mess, then WDI will fix it<<

Like Swiss Family Treehouse, Tomorrowland, PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, Pooh/Country Bears, Cascade Peak, Pirate Ship, Tahitian Terrace, Imagination Pavillion, Johnny Depp?

How long will we have to live with the trainwreck? 5, 10 years? Forever?

Keep it from happenning in the first place.

Comment

Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep &quot;it's a small world&quot; a classic.

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                          How long will we have to live with the trainwreck? 5, 10 years? Forever?

Keep it from happenning in the first place.
                          The whole idea that people are already calling this a trainwreck when it is still only a rumor bothers me more than anything.

Comment

I will be writing Disney. Does anyone have Lassiter's and Rasulo's address?
                            Let's save the rainforest, I already live in America, the last place I need to see on Small World is America.

Comment

Relax? For how long? We're still stuck with a horrible late 90s Tomorrowland that ruined most of what was GOOD about tomorrowland. Cosmic Waves was a mess. Did they clean it up? No.. they just turned the water off. It's STILL THERE. Rocket Rods' failure should have been the first thing fixed, but nothing's happened.

What about Chip n Dale's Treehouse lately? You go up and then nothing. The empty ball pit is definitely looking gross. Donald's Boat? Good luck climbing around. You can only take the stairs now. They roped off everything else.

Winnie the Pooh is the worst version of any of the 4 Pooh rides world wide.

Weren't we supposed to be riding new monorails right now?

Anyone remember Rockin' Space Mountain?

The Subs is a disappointing use of the original ride.

Do I need to go into DCA?

I was eager to see what new exciting things would be coming to Disneyland since Eisner left but as far as I can tell, the decisions have not been great.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                                That you dismiss "it's a small world" as nothing more than a "mediocre" theme park ride is quite telling. If you fail to see the artistic value of the show, then I wonder how you get enjoyment out of Disneyland as a whole.
                                I was never a fan of the "Oh you don't really truly appreciate Disneyland, so your opinions have no merit" argument.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X