Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked. Approvals are done at least once per day, but they can't be done for accounts that have not verified their email address.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep &quot;it's a small world&quot; a classic.

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I was never a fan of the "Oh you don't really truly appreciate Disneyland, so your opinions have no merit" argument.
    I would stop reading Master Gracey posts then.

Comment

I agree with the various posters who think adding an American scene is not in itself a betrayal. I understand the argument that the original ride encourages Americans to think globally rather than nationally, but this message is subject to a big misunderstanding too: i.e., IASW is a look at exotic lands, a world "out there," not our world but another world. Yes, putting in an American scene could be misconstrued as "Yee haw, there we are, and ours is the best," but it can also be understood as enforcing the message that our country is only one part of the world. There's only one world, after all, and we can't ignore it because we are part of it (gee, I sound like Merry in LOTR).

On other points: Losing a Mary Blair-designed scene is regrettable, but putting in Disney figures reeks.

Yes, projects can be halted in their tracks, even at fairly advanced stages. Once upon a time an ambitious project to remodel the load area in the DL HM was cancelled for budgetary reasons just days (I am told) before it was set to go forward. Such cancellations are usually for financial reasons, but if a well-done protest leaves the impression that it isn't nostalgia but positive distaste that has fans up in arms, I'll bet a project CAN be reconsidered at any point.
      "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
        I was never a fan of the "Oh you don't really truly appreciate Disneyland, so your opinions have no merit" argument.
        That's not what I was saying, was it?

I'm just wondering what, as a Disney fan and an active member of the online Disney community, do they get out of going t Disneyland if they don't acknowledge the artistic value of the park?

Disneyland relies heavily on artistry and showmanship. Saying that attractions like "its a small world" aren't art is a strange statement, especially coming from a Disney fan. I can understand if you don't like the art, but to dismiss it entirely as nothing more than a boat ride is simply absurd.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

This effort is being conducted by a vocal minority and isn't going to hault anything. If they believed that most people would be bothered by it, they wouldn't do it.

To my knowledge, Disney has never altered their plans because of a group of fans who object to park changes. The best lead effort was to save Mr. Toad in WDW and he's long gone.

There's no good reason why IASW shouldn't evolve as other classics have inside of the park. IASW shouldn't remain stale just because a small group of people/purists feel it should remain as-is for their own satisfaction. The masses will flock to see the updated attraction.

While I don't support all of Disney's decisions, I do support their effort to make this tired attraction more interesting.

Comment

Marketing drives the organization. The MBA's ascertain if they modify Small World and have a whole huge ad campaign about "The World just got a whole lot smaller" New for 2009 "It's A smaller World" at Disneyland they will sell X number of additional tickets. They will have billboards everywhere for the "new and improved small world" radio adverts, tv commercials. Just like they did with the relaunch of Space Mountain. They sell more tickets. As for upsetting the hard core fan base, they don't care much. All the buzz and controversy just turns into more free advertising. Our only hope is this, that John Lasseter and Tony Baxter having final say in the redux and hopefully will make for certain that it is done tastefully. Hey folks I am upset about this to, to tell you the truth I wish they would turn DCA into Disneyland 2.0 and leave the current Disneyland Park version 1.0 with all the classic attractions and occassional new E-Tickets but not changing the gems. They could release the Disneyland 2.0 park with updates and redux's every single year for all I care. If it were up to me, Disneyland would be a museum with very very well taken care for attractions and occasional new "E-Tickets" without replacing the bread and butter.
            But unfortunately it is not up to me it's up to MBA's and whole bunch of other suites crunching numbers and running spreadsheets. Thankfully we still have a really creative guy in a Hawaiian shirt to add some creative sense into the mix.

EVERYONE PLEASE CALL DISNEYLAND RIGHT NOW, VOICE YOUR DISSAPROVAL TO GUEST RELATIONS, WRITE A LETTER AND SEND A E-MAIL, IF ALL OF US DO THIS IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE, AT LEAST WE WILL HAVE TRIED.

C A L L
            Disneyland Resort Public Relations: (714) 781-4500

W R I T E
            Walt Disney Company
            Attn: Robert Iger
            500 S. Buena Vista St.
            Burbank, CA 91521-9722

Walt Disney Imagineering
            Attn: Tony Baxter
            1401 Flower Street
            P.O. Box 25020
            Glendale, CA 91221-502

Disneyland Resort
            Attn: Ed Grier
            1313 South Harbor Blvd.
            Anaheim , CA 92802
            Last edited by CAspace; 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
              That's not what I was saying, was it?

I'm just wondering what, as a Disney fan and an active member of the online Disney community, do they get out of going t Disneyland if they don't acknowledge the artistic value of the park?

Disneyland relies heavily on artistry and showmanship. Saying that attractions like "its a small world" aren't art is a strange statement, especially coming from a Disney fan. I can understand if you don't like the art, but to dismiss it entirely as nothing more than a boat ride is simply absurd.
              Trying to decide what is art is a philosophical discussion that could easily swamp this board. Enough books have been written about this subject to fill IASW building. The amount of hot air expelled on the subject is probably a leading cause of global warming. Suffice it to say that we can't answer that question here.

The Disneyland universe is pretty small, and there is still room for disagreement on what is art and what is kitsch within the Disneyland Fan universe. While many may appreciate IASW it is quite possible that as many or more see IASW as nothing more than a bad 3-D cartoon. I am not a big fan of IASW, I am against the addition of Disney characters, not because it will harm a wonderful ride, but because the wanton addition of Disney characters to rides is a bad trend that seemingly will continue unabated until the park is unrecognizable.

The recent addition of Pixar characters to the Subs is just one more step along the path. But as far as art goes IMHO IASW is barely art, yet I still like Disneyland.
              Originally posted by SummerInFL
              Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
              Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but the rainforest scene was already removed from it's original location in the attraction. At the World's Fair it was a small section of the Latin America room. When the attraction was moved to Disneyland, the rainforest was made cut from it's original location and just put into an empty space for lack of anything better to put there.

The rainforest was out of place from the day it opened at Disneyland, if anything removing it and replacing it with a fully realized section improves the attraction thematically.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

I think those of us protesting the additions of Disney characters in IASW are asking for change. For a change from years of hack merchandising. A change from cheap, generic theming. A change from quick-buck Marketeering to real, creative Imagineering.

Originally posted by KISSman View Post
                  This effort is being conducted by a vocal minority and isn't going to hault anything. If they believed that most people would be bothered by it, they wouldn't do it.
                  It's ironic that those words have been said by every business and government to every protest group since the dawn of civilization. "You're in the minority and your protest won't make a difference. And it's unnecessary -- if what we're doing was wrong, we wouldn't be doing it."
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

dl1955pounds, have you experienced Spaceship Earth before and after these "major" changes? I rode the attraction in December and yesterday. The changes were minimal at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                      The rainforest was out of place from the day it opened at Disneyland, if anything removing it and replacing it with a fully realized section improves the attraction thematically.
                      /sarcasm
                      No this can't be true. The theme will be ruined...the sky is turning black and falling. The only reason this will be bad is because it's different from what I've known all my life. I never want to park to change and reject the fact that Walt would ever change anything inside Disneyland. Everyone who thinks differently from this obviously doesn't like DL and shouldn't ever go again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                        I think those of us protesting the additions of Disney characters in IASW are asking for change. For a change from years of hack merchandising. A change from cheap, generic theming. A change from quick-buck Marketeering to real, creative Imagineering.
                        ..........."[/I]

BRAVO Mr. WIGGINS!
                        Well said!

Comment

I would love it if one, just once, a member the "all change is good" birgade would adress the concept of positive and negative change instead of merely mocking those who disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It's ironic that those words have been said by every business and government to every protest group since the dawn of civilization. "You're in the minority and your protest won't make a difference. And it's unnecessary -- if what we're doing was wrong, we wouldn't be doing it."
                            Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                            I would love it if one, just once, a member the "all change is good" birgade would adress the concept of positive and negative change instead of merely mocking those who disagree.

Hear, hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                              I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but the rainforest scene was already removed from it's original location in the attraction. At the World's Fair it was a small section of the Latin America room. When the attraction was moved to Disneyland, the rainforest was made cut from it's original location and just put into an empty space for lack of anything better to put there.

I truly didn't think this was an issue that had a bearing on proposed changes at hand. The incarnation we have at DL now is essentially the same one Walt Disney created for the DL audience. Yes, he edited and changed his World's Fair offering to better suit its new audience and surroundings, without changing its message. In essence, today's IASW is the attraction Walt Disney intended for DL guests to see.

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                                I truly didn't think this was an issue that had a bearing on proposed changes at hand. The incarnation we have at DL now is essentially the same one Walt Disney created for the DL audience. Yes, he edited and changed his World's Fair offering to better suit its new audience and surroundings, without changing its message. In essence, today's IASW is the attraction Walt Disney intended for DL guests to see.
                                Well said, Swab

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X