The last 11 yrs of Walt's life vs the last 42 yrs since then...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GothicManor
    Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Sep 2006

The last 11 yrs of Walt's life vs the last 42 yrs since then...

I was just thinking about the innovations (not innoventions lol) that occured during the last 11 yrs of Walt Disney's life and then I compared them to the things accomplised in the last 41 yrs and its pretty surprising what one man can do even if he was just the driving force behind things and not the hands on person it is also a sad sad statement on the lack of such imagination and lack or far sightedness to be found in people in general since the turbulent 60's the loss of the space race is another example.....

Heres a quick timeline I thought and please forgive me in advance for any actually dates in the timeline I dont think we need to get mired down in specific dates its the general theme that matters....

It is also important to note that many of these creations were first thought up and then built in less than a year compare that with today and... well you get the point..

All of Disneyland is completed and opened a creation the likes of which had never been seen before most notably the themed lands spaning the major interests of the human race especially the future in Tomorrowland and promoted using television

The creation of the Monorail Transportation system and the Submarine voyage. (And my year of birth btw)

Mid 60's
    The flying saucers tho flawed still innovative and very very cool I remember them as a very young kid.

A banner year for Walt Disney
    The worlds fair had many pavillions designed by Walt created alot of new ride technology most of which was them moved to Disneyland also a very smart move. These innovations in this two year period were:

The peoplemover style track system
    The Omnimover ride track system to later be used in Innerspace and the Mansion
    Audio Animatronics in the form of the Dinosaurs now seen on the train ride, Great moments with Mr. Lincoln and the Carousel of Progress and later used in the Tiki Room

1967-68
    Yes Walt sadly suddenly passed away in late 66 but the following were near completion in both design and construction and are to be included in his life's work:
    The all new Tomorrowland with the influence of the 64 worlds fair. Including the Peoplemover, the Adventure thru Innerspace, the Carousel of progress and Flight to the Moon.
    The Pirates of the Carribean in the new New Orleans sq and the Haunted Mansion.

Its amazing and incredible what was accomplished and all the while movies being made and plans for WDW in Fl as well as his EPCOT Progress City.

Then think about what they did SINCE then over the last 40 or so years.............what has failed, .. rocket rods etc and how long it takes to do anything.... Peoplemover track.... get new monorails to work etc.....

and most of what has been done was using technology that was already in the industry, .... flight simulators etc.... nothing really new and innovative like Audio Animatronics.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

• techskip
    I Break Things
    • Jun 2007

Re: The last 11 yrs of Walt's life vs the last 42 yrs since then...

While interesting, you should also cite the cost of new and improved technology, construction costs, design and development costs, and most important improved safety regs... all of these cause a construction timeline to be dragged out tremedously... and then we have those lovely budget cuts.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• Werner
      • Jul 2005

GothicManor, I couldn't agree with you more! I've often pondered the same theme. The whole monorail fiasco of late is just the most recent indication of a company that is merely a shadow of its former self. Don't even get me started on the Peoplemover tracks.

Comment

• sailerm
        • Jul 2006

improved safety regs
        I think more people have died in the last 10 years than the previous 40 years combined.

Comment

• The International
          Unhelpful User
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Werner View Post
          GothicManor, I couldn't agree with you more! I've often pondered the same theme. The whole monorail fiasco of late is just the most recent indication of a company that is merely a shadow of its former self. Don't even get me started on the Peoplemover tracks.
          You know they called Disneyland's opening day "Black Sunday," right? Things happen.

Comment

• Coasterfan
            Roller Coaster Aficionado
            • Jul 2007

Here's something to consider. Walt had the idea for Disneyland and even though the financial aspect of the project was overwhelming it was never the money that Walt was worried about. Despite the scathing public opinion that the entire venture was "Walt's folly" did that ever stop him? The entire park (Disneyland as a whole) was built in under a year. How long do we wait now for one single attraction to be built? I understand the construction and labor are costly and time consuming, however if the entire park could be built in a year with "cost" not being a major worry in Walt's mind why is it that any new attraction nowadays takes forever to come to fruition? Since the death of Walt Disney we have not seen any one person at Disney with the drive, depth or vision of Walt Disney himself.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2008

No doubt the company was more innovative while being influenced by Walt, but Tech's basic point is also very valid. Costs and regulation have increased greatly. Plus Disney actually has made quite a few technological advances since Walt, so your point is valid, but a little exaggerated I think. Disney also now is so big it it can buy creative companies (If they aren't on the cutting edge themselves) and has added some pretty good ones (ie Pixar and ESPN.)
              Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2008

Coaster- Walt had to open in a year, he needed to make his investment back fast or he would have probably had financial problems.

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2008

Like the OP illustrates, Walt really was able to do much of the best work in the park after the money was rolling in.

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• GothicManor
                    Welcome Foolish Mortals
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                    While interesting, you should also cite the cost of new and improved technology, construction costs, design and development costs, and most important improved safety regs... all of these cause a construction timeline to be dragged out tremedously... and then we have those lovely budget cuts.
                    Thats one of my points Walt never concerned himself about the money, that may sound crazy to people nowadays but it worked for him and it worked very very well. He knew if you only cared about the money you would never get any dreams brought to reality

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Comment

• GothicManor
                      Welcome Foolish Mortals
                      • Sep 2006

Quite honestly I dont think I can think of any human being that did so much that was positive in one decade as Walt did, (there have been of course a few that did alot of bad in the world in a short time, but we dont need to name names). What have any of us or anyone you know done in a decade?

Walts secret was he dreamed big and he asked of his people the impossible, "build me a fleet of submarines", "build me a rocket to the moon" etc etc, and they did their best (usually it was Bob Gurr actually) to acheive the impossible and they did it out of fear, even sheer terror of disapointing Walt there was that much loyalty. And they just went out and did it many of the best rides and attractions that have stood the test of time and were many decades ahead of their time (some still are) were made from start to finnish in a year or even less.

I dont know about anyone else but I am ashamed to see things like Buzz Lightyear in tomorrowland.

Who can say what would have happend if Walt had lived another 5-10 yrs certainly his vision of EPCOT Progress City WOULD have been built and may have changed how people live as we know it. And it is not out of the realm of possibility that Animatronics may been advanced to the point of autonomous robots that can move around and function on their own. Other people in the late 60's early 70's thought this it inspired story's like the Stepford Wives and Westworld. Im sure Walt could have done it. As for Computer Graphics I am certain he would have lead the way and been years ahead it would have been Disney not pixar that came out with hit cgi films and many years earlier. But we will never know... perhaps in some alternate reality somewheres.....

sigpic

Comment

• GothicManor
                        Welcome Foolish Mortals
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sailerm View Post
                        I think more people have died in the last 10 years than the previous 40 years combined.
                        Yes they have.......

sigpic

Comment

• Anatole69
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2008

Thomas Edison had a pretty good decade or two, as did Leonardo Davinci. I'm sure I could think of more.

Walt was amazing, though hardly the only person to have ever had a prolific imagination. They are rare, but not unheard of.

While Buzz is lacking in story and execution, it is still a very fun attraction and hardly something to be ashamed of.

- Anatole

Comment

• Coasterfan
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by GothicManor View Post
                            Thats one of my points Walt never concerned himself about the money, that may sound crazy to people nowadays but it worked for him and it worked very very well. He knew if you only cared about the money you would never get any dreams brought to reality
                            This is exactly the point I was trying to make. The money was not the important thing to Walt. It was the dream itself and making the dream come true that was the fuel to Walt's fire. If Walt was only interested in making money from Disneyland, the park would not have the heart and soul that Walt put into it. How many amusement parks have you been to that have the same feeling that Disneyland has? Disneyland is the ONLY Disney park that Walt ever stepped foot into and in my opinion is the ONLY park that has Walt's style of "magic". Don't get me wrong I love all the Disney parks but Disneyland is the true original.

Comment

• Aura of Foreboding
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2005

The difference between Walt and the current company is that Walt truly loved Disneyland. It was his every dream, hope, and desire realized. There was little he wouldn't do for it. In a way, Disneyland for Walt was a very selfish and very self-less effort all at the same time. The current company cares about money, making money. It's a corporation. The personal investment Walt had in Disneyland could never be matched, even by one of the largest companies in the world. It's a shame, but it's a fact.

Comment

• Walt's Ghost
                                Resident Ghost
                                • Nov 2006

So, are you telling me that Walt had no failures, because he did...

Comment

• Coasterfan
                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Disney Bacon View Post
                                  So, are you telling me that Walt had no failures, because he did...
                                  Of course he had failures. Everyone has failures. The difference is Walt took something from each of his failures and created something new that worked.

Comment

• GothicManor
                                    Welcome Foolish Mortals
                                    • Sep 2006

I think that the original Disneyland of say 1968 and not much later was like being inside a physical manifestion of the inside of Walt Disney's mind, he allowed us to live in his world the world he lived in inside his mind and imagination.

This is probably the one reason why it is so hard for those that followed to match its greatness.

sigpic

Comment

• KISSman
                                      Progressive Disneylander
                                      • Dec 2006

It's a shame that Walt hadn't created time machine before he passed so that certain folks could zap themselves back to a time when DL met their standards.

Comment

• techskip
                                        I Break Things
                                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by sailerm View Post
                                        people have died before those 10 years... a lot more has come into the light these days that before wouldn't be in the media.

Originally posted by GothicManor View Post
                                        It's not specifically the money. Building something in 1955 was a snap. Building that same structure now requires countless city and state safety regs and codes to be met. The materials cost a great deal more, the labor costs a great deal more, and as I mentioned the codes... not even counting R&D (meaning research and design not development)... you can't build something on that scale IN AMERICA in a year. Look at "Extreme Home Makeover" and what they have to do just to get a house... one house... up and also up to code within 7 days.

Originally posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
                                        The difference between Walt and the current company is that Walt truly loved Disneyland. It was his every dream, hope, and desire realized. There was little he wouldn't do for it. In a way, Disneyland for Walt was a very selfish and very self-less effort all at the same time. The current company cares about money, making money. It's a corporation. The personal investment Walt had in Disneyland could never be matched, even by one of the largest companies in the world. It's a shame, but it's a fact.
                                        While Walt dreamed, Roy kept the books straight. Had it not been for Roy, Disney inc could very easily have been bankrupted!

Originally posted by KISSman View Post
                                        It's a shame that Walt hadn't created time machine before he passed so that certain folks could zap themselves back to a time when DL met their standards.
                                        Thank you.. couldn't have said it better myself.
                                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X