Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

How to Become an Imagineer

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Become an Imagineer

Again, I agree with Pirate. As I pointed out in my earlier post, college can offer opprtunities to really learn about specific areas of interest to you that lower education simply doesn't offer. If you are proactive about what you want to do and learn, most good college level professors will give you every opportunity they can to explore those areas. The critical thing is taking control or your own destiny, and deciding what things interest you, even if they don't necessarily seem applicable to your future profession.

Another interesting aspect of college as compared to high school is that you really begin to understand the interdisciplinary nature of everything. It's fascinating to see a connection between say a political science and design class or a philosophy and physics class. Often I had the wonderful experience of begining a quarter thinking I was taking four totally unrelated classes and then discovering fascinating connections between each subject I was studying. As I progressed, I took a more active role in this, and really began to try and schedule classes that I thought I might find connections through. This in a way helped give a theme to each quarter in my mind, where I could explore other ideas and link everything I was learning in creative and unusual ways.

Anyway, I think the most important point that both Pirate and I made is that you both can, and to get the most out of it, must be active in shaping your own education. College is truely one of those things you get out of it what you're willing to put in.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks guys. No one has really talked to me about college that way before.
      dreams. come. true.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
        Not at all!
        cool.......:blush:

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Another interesting aspect of college as compared to high school is that you really begin to understand the interdisciplinary nature of everything. It's fascinating to see a connection between say a political science and design class or a philosophy and physics class. Often I had the wonderful experience of begining a quarter thinking I was taking four totally unrelated classes and then discovering fascinating connections between each subject I was studying. As I progressed, I took a more active role in this, and really began to try and schedule classes that I thought I might find connections through. This in a way helped give a theme to each quarter in my mind, where I could explore other ideas and link everything I was learning in creative and unusual ways.
          Okay, THIS is a GREAT post. I LOVED this part of college. I am so with you, starting the term taking classes that you WISHED had ANYTHING to do with eachother, and several weeks in, you suddenly have this moment where you realize OH MY GOD, they are connected AGAIN!!!! Sorry for all the caps, but you absolutely hit it right on the head, this is a really fun part of college. Very exciting way that college can make knowledge really come alive.

Comment

My daughter is just figuring all this out about college too - she is seeing the interactions with classes and what she wants to do with her life - also, something I've always told her and she didn't believe me until now (only took about 7 years for her to understand) It doesn't matter pretty much what your degree is - it's the 2 or 4 or 8 years your in college - the classes you take, the completion of experiences - You can have a Philosophy degree and be an executive at Nissan - get an English degree and get a job as a Captain in a Police Department (and my Dad says that the best cops are those with English degrees - go figure - he's hired hundreds of them)
            Spell Binding Books
            http://www.spellbindingbookstore.com
            The new bookstore on the corner - We sell books, movies and Annalee Dolls!
            We have awesome shipping prices - check us out!
            Need your book reviewed? Want to market your contest, book, website, signing?
            Contact us info@spellbindingbookstore.com for more details!

Comment

I'm in character animation at CalArts and Disney is still very much involved in that program. So if you are looking into the artist part of imagineering, that's a good place to look into. We have Disney people through here all the time. Some of the teachers previously worked with WDI as well. I

Comment

I'm sure this has been touched on before, but many Disney people started out working at the parks. John Lasseter worked as a skipper if I'm correct, Tony Baxter was a Submarine Captain, plus a few of the people I have met that now have connections to Disney started out at the parks. Use the job at the parks to your advantage, and use it to help climb the ladder, that's what i'm going to do. College is a good break in between.

Comment

im taking the same route as well but more on the pixar side. im a Animation Mentor student and have had 3 pixar animators as teachers already.

Micenation

Comment

Tony Baxter was a Submarine Captain
                    Are you sure about that? I knew he worked as an ice cream scooper on Main Street and in front of Pirates, but I didn't know about anything beyond that.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X