This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Potato Head AA -- bad show?

I was in DCA yesterday and I got to see a little bit of the Mr. Potato Head AA in action (not all of it but enough to be really impressed with how AA technology has really advanced to make a life-like figure with fluid motions).

There have been some threads lately about the themeing of Toy Story characters to the TSMM and how things like this don't match the theme of a victorian style boardwalk.

However, when I viewed the Youtube video posted on another thread, I noticed a huge inconsistency. Mr. Potato Head is holding an electronic microphone when he should be holding a megaphone instead. I don't know if they can change it now, or even if they should to be honest with you, considering the cost involved. But Disney usually is a stickler for detail, and IMO this shouldn't have gone unnoticed.

Please Disney, take some pride in the things you create sometimes. I know he is really advanced but what good is it if you don't take it up a notch above that and theme him to be consistent with the area it is meant to represent? An electronic microphone being shown in a victorian setting? Might as well have Buzz Lightyear standing there instead...

Re: Mr. Potato Head AA -- bad show?

Agreed.

Comment

Oh yes -- and not only is the microphone electric, it is also cordless! Some technology 100 years ago...

Comment

You have got to be kidding me. A talking giant potato is ok, but him holding a microphone is not?
        It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

haha, didn't even notice that.. I'm not saying that it's not important but(just aesthetically) a megaphone would look weird in his hand. Is there a possible compromise for this? were It's victorian but also looks alright and isn't just a bare hand..

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
            You have got to be kidding me. A talking giant potato is ok, but him holding a microphone is not?
            :lol: Agreed!

Comment

They should of used Mr. Microphone, the one from the Toy Story Movies.

Comment

Meh. I'm not losing sleep over it--and I'm known to be a bit of a stickler for getting details right at times.

Comment

Paradise Pier architecturally is meant to be Victorian, but I don't believe its supposed to be that era through the entire boardwalk.
                  Jeff Wayne

Comment

The toys are already grossly out of place in the Victorian theme, the mic doesn't hurt it anymore than the toys presence do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                      They should of used Mr. Microphone, the one from the Toy Story Movies.
                      I was thinking that... Or didn't they use a spell and say as a microphone?

If that's the biggest flaw in the ride... dude. That's nothing.

Comment

Before this thread goes further, let me point out that this is not a rant. Granted it is a little weird that there is a talking potato in a victorian themed attraction, but forgive the cliche there is a castle on a victorian themed land as well.

However, this is a prime example and probably the most significant example, IMO, of how Walt ran the park vs. today's management. All the details that you see throughout Disneyland, from Main Street, to the Castle, to NOS and the ROA all came naturally to Walt. And I say this because I have seen his model train collection before. He added details to these trains that most people would have ingnored either becuase they didn't have the time or energy, or because they simply didn't notice. Similarly a minor detail like this would not have gone unnoticed by him.

I'm not saying that Walt would have created this specific AA with a megaphone, but the fact that his descendents have allowed this to me is exactly what is wrong with the management of the company today. They are not sticklers to detail. Also, look at the support posts for California Screamin' that are placed near the ride building. Those should have been dressed up to where they match the archetecture and design of the TSMM show building. Yet another minor detail that contributes to an underwhelming experience.

I'm a bit worried here. And this is just the beginning of the billion dollar plus expansion of DCA...

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                          Before this thread goes further, let me point out that this is not a rant. Granted it is a little weird that there is a talking potato in a victorian themed attraction, but forgive the cliche there is a castle on a victorian themed land as well.

However, this is a prime example and probably the most significant example, IMO, of how Walt ran the park vs. today's management. All the details that you see throughout Disneyland, from Main Street, to the Castle, to NOS and the ROA all came naturally to Walt. And I say this because I have seen his model train collection before. He added details to these trains that most people would have ingnored either becuase they didn't have the time or energy, or because they simply didn't notice. Similarly a minor detail like this would not have gone unnoticed by him.

I'm not saying that Walt would have created this specific AA with a megaphone, but the fact that his descendents have allowed this to me is exactly what is wrong with the management of the company today. They are not sticklers to detail. Also, look at the support posts for California Screamin' that are placed near the ride building. Those should have been dressed up to where they match the archetecture and design of the TSMM show building. Yet another minor detail that contributes to an underwhelming experience.

I'm a bit worried here. And this is just the beginning of the billion dollar plus expansion of DCA...
                          Considering that they didn't take the time to put a roof on the building which is clearly visible from California Screamin it shows there were compromises in the budget. So it is no surprise that the columns on California Screamin got no attention.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                            I was in DCA yesterday and I got to see a little bit of the Mr. Potato Head AA in action (not all of it but enough to be really impressed with how AA technology has really advanced to make a life-like figure with fluid motions).

There have been some threads lately about the themeing of Toy Story characters to the TSMM and how things like this don't match the theme of a victorian style boardwalk.

However, when I viewed the Youtube video posted on another thread, I noticed a huge inconsistency. Mr. Potato Head is holding an electronic microphone when he should be holding a megaphone instead. I don't know if they can change it now, or even if they should to be honest with you, considering the cost involved. But Disney usually is a stickler for detail, and IMO this shouldn't have gone unnoticed.

Please Disney, take some pride in the things you create sometimes. I know he is really advanced but what good is it if you don't take it up a notch above that and theme him to be consistent with the area it is meant to represent? An electronic microphone being shown in a victorian setting? Might as well have Buzz Lightyear standing there instead...

) we all saw a little sneek peek through the crack. It looks great. too bad his eyes were missing lol.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post

I think the key thing is GIANT. In both Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters we are treated with massive versions of TOYS. TOYS!!!! Did I miss something? Were we not supposed to go through a giant microscope or an incredible shrinking machine before this could even be remotely logical?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X