This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Suits Listen?

I just finished reading a post over on Mice Age from one of the more well known contributors. He used the high price of stroller rentals to make his point. He makes sense to me. My question is - Do the suits take what is written in places like this to heart? I don't mean the things that have a routine schedule or were put into work-orders and will be gotten to soon (like painting this thing or that) but the bigger ideas. Things like adding lights to Tomorrowland, or adding another exit by the parking structure on busy nights, or ... you get the idea. These things have been brought up here along with other good ideas. Are they discounted by those in charge because fans thought of them? I don't know the answer, I would lke to find out to satisfy my curiosity. Has anyone heard or seen Disney doing something based on fan yearnings?

Re: Do the Suits Listen?

When guests come to City Hall and want to make similar suggestions (like substantial changes and new ideas, not burnt out light bulbs, as you mentioned), City Hall cannot (ahem, is not supposed to) take them. Instead they are to refer you to the legal facet of the company, where after you have given up all rights to the idea, you can pitch it.

The concern is that a guest might contribute a brilliant idea that Disney may or may not have originally had planned and the guest would be upset and want compensation after 'their idea' 'made profit' for the company. Intellectual property and all that, you know. It's all so very tricky.

In terms of Disney influentials reading MiceChat, I'm sure it might happen, but I am not sure to what extent this holds any meaning.
    If anything, take solace that many Cast Members read and post here, and we do everything we can to keep moving forward.

Comment

I for one can confirm that mice chat is discussed by ride engineering in Anaheim!
      ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

Comment

Read it? yes. Take it to heart? no. even as a CM who is working on developing something new for the resort, I have experienced a "That sounds nice, but you don't know as much as me. I say it won't work, so stop trying." attitude. I would assume they do that same with the internet sites.
        "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

I'm sure anything that will increase the bottom line and help them score their bonus they will take into consideration....

Comment

I sent in an email directly to Disney regarding an idea for the parking structure and it was implemented a few weeks later. I probably wasn't the only one who had mentioned something about it, but it felt nice to think I contributed in some way.

I do think they check the boards out, but if you have a specific problem and find an easy, manageable solution it would be more effective to write to Disney about it.
            <o>

Comment

Do the Suits Listen?

I think more often than they should they listen to the numbers rather than spending time in the park getting a sense of what SHOULD be done.

So yes they do listen, but frequently to the wrong thing because either it's easier or they just don't have the gut feeling to follow.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I think they do - sort of.

I think that they may think they're comprimising with the Disney fans on some things -

We get the subs back, they get their Nemo tie in.

We get a 1920's Hollywood period entry plaza, they get animated movie tie-ins all through the rest of the park.

We get a period-themed, land-appropriate Midway Mania exterior, they get a movie tie-in Toy Story Mania ride inside.

(Not saying I agree with this, I just think this is what they're thinking).

This might also or instead be concessions to the Imagineers and Lasseter, rather than the vocal online fans.

Of course, I think the name Walt Disney Plaza was chosen in case any of the fans say that the park still lacks Walt's touch, they can say, "How can you say there's no Walt in the park - there's an entire land named after him!"

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me believes to some degree that there are plants on the boards whose purpose is to cool down critical discussions of Disney. Of course, that same part of me also believes there may be some really hardcore fans who use reverse psychology and say things like "theme doesn't matter" just to get other fans more riled up .
                "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                Disney sequel):
                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

i thought i once read on here that the suites have a special department for monitering online sights?
                  sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

Anyone remember when they changed Club Buzz back to Tomorrowland Terrace? Personally I believe that project was approved because of the online community.

Comment

Originally posted by thrax View Post
                      i thought i once read on here that the suites have a special department for monitering online sights?
                      I believe that is more for checking to ensure that cast members are not violating their confidentiality agreements. Ie. not giving away information before it is public, and posting 'backstage' photos.
                      "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

If they do, I would suggest listening just a little closer to the source.
                        Simple refurbishments and "keeping the park friendly, clean and Happy" would cost alot less then the budgets for "plussing" (AKA: Minus-ing) attractions.
                        Why then does the park keep pushing for controversial changes that have no real positive impact on the bottom line? other then a surge due to marketing pushes, which could occur anyways with a great ad campaign and a simple gimick like the 35th anniversary gift giver machine or something of the like. (Although the whole "dreams" deal is a farcry from that magical 35th anniversary experience IMHO) Does Disney need to drastically alter the landscape of its tried and true attractions to get this attendance increase? Not if you are listening to the guests, so I think the suits have there own "Brilliant Ideas" instead of "listening to the guests"

long answer to short question but I think the answer is no.

Now the important question is, do the "Hawaiian Shirts" listen?! I think so. I think so.
                        Last edited by CAspace; 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
                          Why then does the park keep pushing for controversial changes that have no real positive impact on the bottom line other then a surge due to marketing pushes, which could occur anyways with a great ad campaign and a simple gimick like the 35th anniversary gift giver machine or something of the like. (Although the whole "dreams" deal is a farcry from that magical 35th anniversary experience IMHO) Does Disney need to drastically alter the landscape of its tried and true attractions to get this attendance increase. Not if you are listening to the guests, so I think the suits have there own "Brilliant Ideas" instead of "listening to the guests"
                          Bingo. IMO it's the same drill for TDA and WDI as in Animation pre-Pixar: suits tout the projects they think their bosses will like; creatives learn to pitch ideas the suits will tout.

To the suits, audiences are abstractions, represented by spreadsheets full of focus group results and audience-segment trends. Showman-style gut level calls aren't involved -- it's one enormous intellectual exercise. Which is why you see the MBA types in charge of every division.

In the years since Eisner, nothing has changed but the names.
                          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by thrax View Post

*ATTENTION DISNEY EXECS*

I am more than willing to monitor MiceChat for you for a Tiny TINY amount of money. $379.00 per year! Thats a little more than a dollar per day! Sure this figure may seem familiar, That's not a coincidence. See how cheap that is? I guarantee you you're paying somebody more. You won't even have to pay medical or dental! What a DEAL!!

I'll Monitor all Day for that fee, I'll be your official DREAM Poster Ambassador. That is sure to be worth a tiny tiny tiny salary of $379.00 per year.
                            All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

Listen? I would say generally NO. Can something pass through MA or MC that they've acted upon? Probably. More often than not, what is said on this site is not 'listened' to by the suits.

I think the way this site could be most useful to them is when there are park issues that they overlook. It could be chipped paint or some detail that isn't up to snuff. I could see them taking advantage of that. But to consider an idea found on here and act upon it? I would say it is highly unlikely.

As for the stroller situation, I agree with Kevin. However, the original decision to jack up stroller prices is considered by multiple suits who all agree that it makes sense. Ultimately, they'll look over their spreedsheets down the line and see if it was a good idea. An article that complains about the logic of a decision will not change their minds (unless a big commotion ensues in the media about it). Their own numbers will tell them what they need to know.

Instead of seeing prices drop to something that is more reasonable, watch the stroller that you buy go up like $15. Problem solved.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X