This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular - Best Cast

Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular is one of my favorite shows in all of Disney (which, judging by other posts on this site, is a very debatable position to take.)
    I watched it twice today, and realized that I have favorites in almost every role. (The show is 'double cast', and you never know which combination of talent you're going to get.)
    I thought I'd throw out my picks of the Aladdin cast, and see what you think. The biggest hurdle is that Disney keeps the cast unknown, so I will describe the people as best as I can. (And if anyone knows of a cast list more recent than 2004, please let me know.)

ALADDIN:
    Pretty easy to tell them apart. One is Asian and the other looks like he could be on the HSM float. I've almost always seen the Asian, and he's very good but I think the other guy has slightly better timing and a more powerful voice.

JASMINE:
    I rarely see the light-skinned African-American but I remember liking her voice a lot. But I'm more comfortable with the acting rhythms of the other Jasmine (whose looks are slightly Indian.)

GENIE:
    I miss Ryan Knowles, who had my all-time fav. Genie joke. (To Jafar - "We walked into Haunted Mansion together and you walked out with a Paycheck!") Of the current duo, I prefer the one whose Rule #2 is done like Dr. Phil. (The other one makes a Jessica Simpson reference.) That Genie seems to have more jokes and his references are more current. (He breaks out into "Get'cha Head In The Game" where the other Genie does "Superstar".)
    [NOTE: I corrected my favorite Genie Ryan Knowles, who I mistakenly credited as Cedric Yarbrough.]

JAFAR:
    Lance Roberts IS the only Jafar. (He's the African-American Jafar whose on most of the youtube videos.) The other guy (who's white) is too beard-twirling and kinda superficially evil. Roberts is having a lot of fun, especially his laugh with Iago up in the rafters and his delivery of "All those who have 3 wishes coming to them, raise their hands."

IAGO:
    Both guys have their qualities, but I prefer the one who doesn't push the screachy style of the movie Iago. He's a little quicker with the wit and less hammy.

NARRATOR/SULTON:
    I always liked the older gent with the storyteller voice, but I haven't seen him in a while and don't know if he's gone. The guy I've seen lately - who looks a lot like M. Night Shyamalan - is way too young for the part. He's talented, but miscast.

CARPET:
    I love the part of Carpet, and it's the one performer so charming I swore it was the same actress every time. I'll have to call this one a tie. They're both marvelous. (Best Bit: Post "Whole New World" exhaustion)

So who else has seen the show enough times to tell the cast apart, who do you prefer and why?
    Last edited by figmentgoofy; 04-28-2008, 08:19 AM.

Re: Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular - Best Cast

I never knew the name of the best Genie until now ... how did you get his name? He was the very best. The other two are OK but nothing compared to Cedric. How long has he been gone, why did he leave, and where did he go? Do you or anyone else know?

I always thought the Carpet was the same girl also.

Agree with you on the Storyteller and Jafar.

No opinions on the others. They are just good actors and either of them could play the parts.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm happy to see you enjoy the cast so much and the show itself. They do put a lot into the performances, but for me, the show needed to go along time ago. It's time to put something fresh in the Hyperion Theatre, cuz *Aladdin* has really run it's course.
      Love Is An Open Door
      :love:

http://facebook.com/PatrickDisneyGuy

Comment

Sorry, but the Haunted Mansion Jafar Joke was originated by Ryan Knowles, aka "skinny Genie". IMO, Ryan was the best Genie. He had around 30 different voices in a show, and had great timing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_whBvvmCM

My other favorites are as follows (I named them based on people they look like):
        The "Carl Winslow" Jafar
        The "Brendan Frasier" Aladdin
        The "Christi Jamaguchi" Carpet

Comment

Aladdin: I like the first Aladdin I saw when I worked in the parks. He was mocking Jasmine in the marketplace with his shirt over his head, that was funny. And when he was Prince Ali, he delievered the line, "Allow myself to................. introduce my self......" That was funny!! I think he was the one that waved his cape after an awkward pause.

Jasmine: I thought all the Jasmines are the same. I heard that Jeannie Kwan, of "California Dreams" fame, played the part. Anyone know who she is??

Genie: The the genies are hilarious. I don't know who to pick.

Jafar: I agree, I like the African - American one, he's quite good.

Narrator/ Sultan: It's a good idea for it to be an older gentleman so that he plays two parts.

Iago: I can't actually tell the difference between the puppeteer.

Carpet: I actually know one of the "carpets". I am good friends with her.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
            ... but for me, the show needed to go along time ago. It's time to put something fresh in the Hyperion Theatre, cuz *Aladdin* has really run it's course.
            I hope they don't replace the "Aladdin" show. I could see it many times over. The genies help keep it fresh with their quips. They always about things current. I love that show.

Comment

In November our family was able to do a meet-and-greet with the Aladdin cast (looooooooong story behind that...I'll have to tell it later!) and here's a picture of us with the cast we saw. It's a pretty bad pic; I just grabbed it off of my sister's site; I'll try and get a better one up.

It wasn't our favorite cast (I liked the other Genie better) but we LOVE the Jafar and Carpet here. Carpet especially...she was awesome. During the show she saw that my sister had one of those Baby Jasmine dolls (she was sitting in the front row) and during the Prince Ali sequence she grabbed the doll and danced around with it for the longest time, and during the meet-and-greet she spent so much time with the little kids and sang with them and was just all together so nice. We went back to see the show a few weeks later and she was just in the supporting cast at the time, but she recognized us and I didn't notice, but the kids said she was constantly giving them little waves and smiles during the show.

Anyway, let me know if you recognize any of the cast members...I have better photos of most of them if you want them.

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
              http://www.spareoom.net

Comment

Originally posted by Wendygirl View Post
                I never knew the name of the best Genie until now ... how did you get his name? How long has he been gone, why did he leave, and where did he go? Do you or anyone else know?
                I corrected my favorite Genie Ryan Knowles, who I mistakenly credited as Cedric Yarbrough. Cedric is a cast member on the show "Reno:911". Ryan recently completed the horror film Camp Hope where he plays the demon. Information on Ryan can be found here...
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Knowles

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
                ...for me, the show needed to go along time ago. It's time to put something fresh in the Hyperion Theatre, cuz *Aladdin* has really run it's course.
                I'd love to hear more as to why you feel that way. I think Aladdin is the freshest stage show Disney's got, mainly because of the different interpretations by the actors and the updated jokes. (This is to stage shows what The Jungle Cruise is to rides.)
                Over at Disney Hollywood Studios, Beauty And The Beast has been going since 1991. Aladdin is 5 years young.
                Last edited by figmentgoofy; 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I adore this show. My favorite cast members would have to be the Genie. Both of them always get me to laugh.

sigpic

Comment

The Carpet is a scene stealer! Wonderful and Awesome!

Comment

I also did a meet and greet courtesy of Chernabog. Many thanks to him!! My photo:

Comment

My fave Jasmine was DeeDee Mango from the MMC I hadn't heard Jennie Kwan was a Jasmine... I'm bummed to have missed her, if that's true.
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Of course, Dan

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                          I also did a meet and greet courtesy of Chernabog. Many thanks to him!!

You and Richard Kraft continue to plus all my Disney Hopes and dreams.

Comment

I really liked Russ Marchand as the Genie. He hasn't been around in a while, though. He seems to be in the show off and on over the years. Hopefully he makes a return sometime soon!
                            "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

the african american jafar is absolutley my favorite jafar ever!!! and my favorite genie, no longer there, was one of the original genies, he was more of a heavy set genie. and the girl from california dreams was jasmine at one point. I have seen her quite a few times in the past and she was always my favorite jasmine.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X