This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas prices and DL cast retention

Gas prices are dinging people in engineering services who make 3x operations pay. Personally I don't know how anybody down at the low end gets by unless they live up the street.

Comment

Originally posted by CASurfer65 View Post
      And what area is that?
      That department would be attractions. NOCC and Adventure are overstaffed. Not sure about the other lands, but Im sure theyre in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by nolimit View Post
        That department would be attractions. NOCC and Adventure are overstaffed. Not sure about the other lands, but Im sure theyre in the same boat.
        When I applied only Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Hollywood in DCA were hiring for attractions, so I will agree attractions is probably overstaffed. None of the attractions positions were even starting soon. Luckily I didn't need to start so fast.

It's impossible to live off of anything, it feels like. I work currently at a retail store making $8.50/hr and I live with my boyfriend. We make it by but only slightly. But if I can get a $.55 raise then hey I'm almost livin'!

Money sucks. No one pays as well as it should. Life, life, life.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

its not a .55 cent raise really. 10 dollars a week for union, youd almost be better off with the retail job.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
            Tell that to my overstaffed department.
            Like I previously mentioned, staffing levels are currently OK. The park is NOT understaffed like it was during the 50th. Currently the bump in starting wages seems sufficient to bring in enough semi-qualified applicants. My point is that once that is accomplished, they don't stick around long. Bringing in tons of CMs, only to have them quit a few weeks or a few months later sure fills out the line sheets, but does not help the operation as smoothly as a well seasoned crew.

There are many areas of the park where CMs are fighting for hours, and this previous busy season (spring break), 6th and 7th days were not being handed out like candy like in the past, that means the resort is currently well staffed.
            "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Re: Gas prices --> Less Guests!

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
              What about the effect of gasoline prices on guest attendance ??

It has got to be driving attendance down to some degree. Anybody have any estimates of the correlation.
              It's (gas prices) going to have an effect on all tourism in general this year. Seems like Disney is already planning ahead to attract people from far away to the park. I found this offer online:
              http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...8Q3CA_68Canada
              What surprised me about this offer:
              1. It's $68 per person/per night includes parkhopper pass
              2. It's being offered during peak tourist season: June 20 to August 31

Yes airfare is separate, but, as an example, it costs $68 for a day pass at a local ski resort! For the amount we are spending on gas, it's almost worth it to save a few extra bucks for airfare and head down to Disneyland for a few days.

Comment

The statement about the entire park being well-staffed is false. Foods are definitely not staffed to the point they would like. I know someone who is currently working 6 days a week and lots of OT. Attractions is doing good, but the other departments...not so much.

Comment

The statement about the entire park being well-staffed is false. Foods are definitely not staffed to the point they would like. I know someone who is currently working 6 days a week and lots of OT. Attractions is doing good, but the other departments...not so much.
                  Er...are we in the same Foods Department? The one that is calling CMs before their shifts and ADO-ing them, and freaking out when I try to pick up shifts on my days off??

Comment

I have a completely random question that is off topic, my apologies to the TS. Is the definition of "fully staffed" that they have enough people to cover everything without running scheduled O.T. and 6th or 7th days (meaning 5 days and 40hrs or less) or is "fully staffed" including CM's running this "extra" time? Because if they are still running this "extra" time then they are not fully staffed, they are relying on specific CM's to pick up the slack. Oh and for anyone who hasn't done it yet... just wait until summer to see how "fully staffed" your department really is!
                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

All I know is that one of my students was fired recently for failing to show up on a day that he clearly was told he would not have to show up on due to classes at college. Granted he already had some points piling up due to other school related conflicts, but the final straw came when he simply could not afford to cut class to work at Disneyland again. This was a solid, dependable kid, and they fired him because he refused to cut class.

It's no WONDER the turnover rate is so high. The higher gas prices will only make things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
                        All I know is that one of my students was fired recently for failing to show up on a day that he clearly was told he would not have to show up on due to classes at college. Granted he already had some points piling up due to other school related conflicts, but the final straw came when he simply could not afford to cut class to work at Disneyland again. This was a solid, dependable kid, and they fired him because he refused to cut class.

It's no WONDER the turnover rate is so high. The higher gas prices will only make things worse.
                        I've known a lot of individuals who have had that happen. I am curious what the current definition of "fully staffed" is. I know prior to the A/B merge it was pretty cut and dry. A's had 40's, B's had 30-40's... CR-25 was a floater and CR was usually just weekends. CT's filled the summer gaps. Now A and B are merged with a 30-40hr and I have heard of CR's working all week... which to me does not sound like fully staffed! There are two reasons it may appear fully staffed though; short hours or people running OT.

OT is another interesting point in and of itself. They NEVER used to run OT until everyone was fully utilized and the whole crew was on 8's... then they start asking for extra. Now they can have one CM running a 12, and the CM next to them running a 4, I've even known some Leads to ER (early release) while running scheduled O.T. Not only is this a sign of an attraction being understaffed, it is relying on specific individuals to definitely be there. If that CM calls in sick, or personal, then it can take 2 CM's to fill their shift, especially if no one wants all those hours! Once Summer kicks off you will see a lot more hours, scheduled OT, and CM's burning out taking points and leaving... happens every summer! What I am wondering is, are they currently running scheduled OT?
                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                          I've known a lot of individuals who have had that happen. I am curious what the current definition of "fully staffed" is. I know prior to the A/B merge it was pretty cut and dry. A's had 40's, B's had 30-40's... CR-25 was a floater and CR was usually just weekends. CT's filled the summer gaps. Now A and B are merged with a 30-40hr and I have heard of CR's working all week... which to me does not sound like fully staffed! There are two reasons it may appear fully staffed though; short hours or people running OT.

OT is another interesting point in and of itself. They NEVER used to run OT until everyone was fully utilized and the whole crew was on 8's... then they start asking for extra. Now they can have one CM running a 12, and the CM next to them running a 4, I've even known some Leads to ER (early release) while running scheduled O.T. Not only is this a sign of an attraction being understaffed, it is relying on specific individuals to definitely be there. If that CM calls in sick, or personal, then it can take 2 CM's to fill their shift, especially if no one wants all those hours! Once Summer kicks off you will see a lot more hours, scheduled OT, and CM's burning out taking points and leaving... happens every summer! What I am wondering is, are they currently running scheduled OT?
                          I know currently in Tomorrowland there is NO scheduled OT. Granted, just like you said, it does usually change once summer rolls around ... but there has been no OT in TL since Thanksgiving and the rare extension at Christmas.

Comment

Most of the somewhat recent CM's are pretty much all CR's. We work during the week too though. The CR-SS take care of the weekends for the most part. For someone like me who is pretty available during the weekdays, they utilize us then and have most weekends off. Its been weeks since Ive worked a Fri, Sat, or Sun. I dont even know anyone who is a CR-25.

Comment

However there is another reason for the high oil prices which have a positive effect on Disney and the tourism industry in general. WEAK AMERICAN DOLLAR... so while domestic tourism may be down, international tourism is up! And those empty rooms that a domestic traveler may have occupied are now occupied by an international traveler who sees it as a "bargin" when compared to their native currency! The weak US Dollar has a huge impact on everything we import, including oil... they did an analysis and if we had the stronger dollar of years past the oil would be between $60 and $70 a barrel , not the $100+ it currently sits at.
                              Exactly.

Comment

Oh and for anyone who hasn't done it yet... just wait until summer to see how "fully staffed" your department really is!
                                I was going to mention this, eventually.

Comment

Most of the somewhat recent CM's are pretty much all CR's. We work during the week too though. The CR-SS take care of the weekends for the most part. For someone like me who is pretty available during the weekdays, they utilize us then and have most weekends off. Its been weeks since Ive worked a Fri, Sat, or Sun. I dont even know anyone who is a CR-25.
                                  CR-25 doesn't exist anymore.

Comment

I am recently hired on and I was hoping to fully understand your lingo, techskip but I couldn't.

Am I understanding that Casual Regulars only work weekends? I sure hope I get a few more hours than that.

Sorry if :ot:

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

However there is another reason for the high oil prices which have a positive effect on Disney and the tourism industry in general. WEAK AMERICAN DOLLAR... so while domestic tourism may be down, international tourism is up! And those empty rooms that a domestic traveler may have occupied are now occupied by an international traveler who sees it as a "bargin" when compared to their native currency!
                                      Actually international tourism to the US is down and has been going down for years since 9/11, particularly after Homeland Security started fingerprinting and taking mugshots of all international visitors. I would never visit a country that did that to me.
                                      Here are some links to show that international tourism to the US is down:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/01/31...vel/index.html

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/09/...ss/tourism.php

In addition high oil prices means much higher ticket fares for international visitors coming across an ocean to the US. Orlando is going to be hit hard in the years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by ashley solo View Post
                                        I am recently hired on and I was hoping to fully understand your lingo, techskip but I couldn't.

Am I understanding that Casual Regulars only work weekends? I sure hope I get a few more hours than that.

Sorry if :ot:
                                        THose are the old days. CRs are still technically weekend, but get more hours than that.

Comment

A CR can be any day of the week. It just means you arent guaranteed any hours for the week, however, you must be available Fri after 6, Sat and Sun. CR-SS is sat, sun. When you start out, if its in the offseason as we currently are, dont expect more than 8 hours a week. Once you start building up some seniority you will get a few more hours each week.

Comment

Working...
                                          X