Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Gas prices and DL cast retention

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas prices and DL cast retention

In simplistic terms, high oil prices work in two ways to affect DLR, one in a good way and one in a bad way for the bottom line. Airfare tickets are going way up coupled with worse service, which means a number of SoCal residents will be going nowhere for their summer vacation, and instead be tempted to take a local vacation at DL and other destinations (hey, there's a lot of fun stuff to do in SoCal). This will hurt the hotels obviously because the high airfares will prevent the non-locals from flying here to go to the parks. Hence, overall attendance is unlikely to take a hit because those who do not fly in will be replaced by locals not flying out. Hotels will take a hit however if out-of-towners stop flying in since locals will stay in their home. This is why Orlando (heavy reliance on domestic out-of-towners and international tourists) will be in bigger trouble in the long run than Anaheim (heavier reliance on locals) if oil prices continue to push upward.

Comment

Originally posted by vfire View Post
      In simplistic terms, high oil prices work in two ways to affect DLR, one in a good way and one in a bad way for the bottom line. Airfare tickets are going way up coupled with worse service, which means a number of SoCal residents will be going nowhere for their summer vacation, and instead be tempted to take a local vacation at DL and other destinations (hey, there's a lot of fun stuff to do in SoCal). This will hurt the hotels obviously because the high airfares will prevent the non-locals from flying here to go to the parks. Hence, overall attendance is unlikely to take a hit because those who do not fly in will be replaced by locals not flying out. Hotels will take a hit however if out-of-towners stop flying in since locals will stay in their home. This is why Orlando (heavy reliance on domestic out-of-towners and international tourists) will be in bigger trouble in the long run than Anaheim (heavier reliance on locals) if oil prices continue to push upward.
      However there is another reason for the high oil prices which have a positive effect on Disney and the tourism industry in general. WEAK AMERICAN DOLLAR... so while domestic tourism may be down, international tourism is up! And those empty rooms that a domestic traveler may have occupied are now occupied by an international traveler who sees it as a "bargin" when compared to their native currency! The weak US Dollar has a huge impact on everything we import, including oil... they did an analysis and if we had the stronger dollar of years past the oil would be between $60 and $70 a barrel , not the $100+ it currently sits at.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
        So Disney is probably going to have to start figuring out how to keep the parks fully staffed, with an all-OC applicant pool. Tough business, that. I wonder what they're going to have to pay to keep the park fully staffed with quality people?
        This was a problem even before the gas price increases, due to other companies competing successfully for the teenager/college-kid job pool.

Big problem is that the park has changed from being a year-round-open-but-seasonal park to a non-seasonal one, and that means the applicants for CM jobs have to be a lot more flexible than college kids and high school seniors filling in on weekends and during holidays.

Only one way to change that back, though I did read that in 1984, attendance was less than 9.5 million. Hard to give up those numbers just to make sure there are quality CMs, quality attractions, quality food and souvenirs, and reasonable ticketing options that mean everyone pays a reaonable price every time they go.
        "The cause of every one of DL's problems."

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
          Turnover will remain at 100% for the foreeable future, which is in IMHO too high.
          Tell that to my overstaffed department.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
            And what area is that?
            I've been kicking around the thought of rehiring back into the park after a 15 year absence.
            I worked Attractions from the early 80s to the early 90s and really enjoyed it.
            I've been teaching since I left the park, so if I were to return it would be more for the enjoyment than it would be for the paycheck, as I really don't need the second job (I'm single).
            The areas in which I was trained were the Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Main Street Attractions areas.
            How are those areas doing for staffing?
            What would be the chances of hiring back into your previously-trained area?
            Do they ever honor personal requests or preferences during the interview process?
            I really liked the Tomorrowland and Fantasyland areas.
            And being that I'm old school Disney, Disneyland fits my style better than DCA.
            Any thoughts?

Comment

Gas prices are dinging people in engineering services who make 3x operations pay. Personally I don't know how anybody down at the low end gets by unless they live up the street.

Comment

Originally posted by CASurfer65 View Post
                And what area is that?
                That department would be attractions. NOCC and Adventure are overstaffed. Not sure about the other lands, but Im sure theyre in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by nolimit View Post
                  That department would be attractions. NOCC and Adventure are overstaffed. Not sure about the other lands, but Im sure theyre in the same boat.
                  When I applied only Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Hollywood in DCA were hiring for attractions, so I will agree attractions is probably overstaffed. None of the attractions positions were even starting soon. Luckily I didn't need to start so fast.

It's impossible to live off of anything, it feels like. I work currently at a retail store making $8.50/hr and I live with my boyfriend. We make it by but only slightly. But if I can get a $.55 raise then hey I'm almost livin'!

Money sucks. No one pays as well as it should. Life, life, life.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

its not a .55 cent raise really. 10 dollars a week for union, youd almost be better off with the retail job.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
                      Like I previously mentioned, staffing levels are currently OK. The park is NOT understaffed like it was during the 50th. Currently the bump in starting wages seems sufficient to bring in enough semi-qualified applicants. My point is that once that is accomplished, they don't stick around long. Bringing in tons of CMs, only to have them quit a few weeks or a few months later sure fills out the line sheets, but does not help the operation as smoothly as a well seasoned crew.

There are many areas of the park where CMs are fighting for hours, and this previous busy season (spring break), 6th and 7th days were not being handed out like candy like in the past, that means the resort is currently well staffed.
                      "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Re: Gas prices --&gt; Less Guests!

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                        What about the effect of gasoline prices on guest attendance ??

It has got to be driving attendance down to some degree. Anybody have any estimates of the correlation.
                        It's (gas prices) going to have an effect on all tourism in general this year. Seems like Disney is already planning ahead to attract people from far away to the park. I found this offer online:
                        http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...8Q3CA_68Canada
                        What surprised me about this offer:
                        1. It's $68 per person/per night includes parkhopper pass
                        2. It's being offered during peak tourist season: June 20 to August 31

Yes airfare is separate, but, as an example, it costs $68 for a day pass at a local ski resort! For the amount we are spending on gas, it's almost worth it to save a few extra bucks for airfare and head down to Disneyland for a few days.

Comment

The statement about the entire park being well-staffed is false. Foods are definitely not staffed to the point they would like. I know someone who is currently working 6 days a week and lots of OT. Attractions is doing good, but the other departments...not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by nolimit View Post
                            The statement about the entire park being well-staffed is false. Foods are definitely not staffed to the point they would like. I know someone who is currently working 6 days a week and lots of OT. Attractions is doing good, but the other departments...not so much.
                            Er...are we in the same Foods Department? The one that is calling CMs before their shifts and ADO-ing them, and freaking out when I try to pick up shifts on my days off??

Comment

I have a completely random question that is off topic, my apologies to the TS. Is the definition of "fully staffed" that they have enough people to cover everything without running scheduled O.T. and 6th or 7th days (meaning 5 days and 40hrs or less) or is "fully staffed" including CM's running this "extra" time? Because if they are still running this "extra" time then they are not fully staffed, they are relying on specific CM's to pick up the slack. Oh and for anyone who hasn't done it yet... just wait until summer to see how "fully staffed" your department really is!
                              "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

All I know is that one of my students was fired recently for failing to show up on a day that he clearly was told he would not have to show up on due to classes at college. Granted he already had some points piling up due to other school related conflicts, but the final straw came when he simply could not afford to cut class to work at Disneyland again. This was a solid, dependable kid, and they fired him because he refused to cut class.

It's no WONDER the turnover rate is so high. The higher gas prices will only make things worse.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X