Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Gas prices and DL cast retention

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas prices and DL cast retention

Originally posted by vannie<3 View Post
    Um I think you should look up some figures for that,,, since i noticed you live in colorado...just saying the IE is more affordable but a lot has changed in the past couple of years you should see the houses the expensive SUVs Sports cars RVs Motorcycles go carts golf carts (yes two of my Nieghbors have one y beats me) Boats etc ALOT! All i am saying is that the OC is still viewed as The one from the television show

Its also ground zero for the housing bubble meltdown. Never assume that because people have toys that they can actually afford them. Most of those toys were purchased with Home Equity Lines of Credit (AKA HELOCs), which has in part caused the foreclosure crisis the IE is now experiencing.

FWIW, accoding to wikipedia Riverside County's median HH income is only 42K vs. OC's 61K. A significant difference if you ask me. Like I said, the IE isn't "poor", it just isn't as wealthy as OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
      $10/gallon will be a disaster the likes of which this country has never seen. Nobody's going to work an hour for a gallon of gas (more when you account for income tax).

Remembering that CMs can get shifts as short as 4 hours, working at DL from any distance above walking distance is going to be impossible. We'll see rampant inflation at that point because employers are simply going to HAVE to pay more, and where will they get the money from if nobody can afford anything?
      $10 gas (its not a question of "if", only "when"), will force us to change the way we live. Low wage earners will definitely not be able to afford to commute any distance to their low paying jobs. At this point DLR will only be able to hire CMs who can either walk, cycle or ride the bus to work. Perhaps they can do what some companies do in India (my company does this), which is to provide its own fleet of busses to transport employees to and from work (think school bus). Perhaps this could bring in people who live a few miles from DLR.

Commuting may also become prohibitive for those earning median wages, so I expect to see more carpooling, telecommuting, and perhaps even increased use of public transportation (where available).

Big gas guzzler vehicles will become virtually worthless as it could cost $300 just to fill the tank. So you'll be able to pickup a used Suburban for a song, but will need a second job to feed it. Most will probably end up driving small diesel powered cars that get 50+mpg, but at $10/gallon most will still need to curtail their driving. Plug in hybrids will work well for those with under 40 mile commutes and should on the market by then.

Also rampant inflation is a given, and for all practical purposes has already started. Don't expect people to get cost of living increases though.

Comment

I think I gotta skateboard to work.

Effin' gas.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

Gas is not the only thing that is being affected by the economy. Just today I was at the grocery store and woman had to cancel her entire purchase becuase her CC declined for $70... Every day more and more people are having to make difficult decisions... Buy Gas, Food, or pay the rent... Every day we are getting closer to a severe depression.. At what point is the economic slump going to plunge so deep that Disney will eventually need to close its doors during the week... This world is getting scary and unfortunately it is only going to get worse...

Comment

Originally posted by mohavewolfpup View Post
            some break room stuff:

sodas when I hired in: 1.35, now 1.50 (20 oz bottles)

canned soda, 80 cents, now 90 cents

sandwiches,burgers, etc (what I usually got) $2.00, now 2.25. ramen noodles was 1.25 (err wth) now 1.50 (double wth, get them for 40 cents or less at the store!)

it's climbing and climbing, and no end in sight. disney isn't rushing to save the day either with actual pay wages, not pocket change raises...

i'm wondering what the hell sodas are now in the park, 4.00?
            Yup. The vending machine prices have gone up several times since I started working at Disney. 10 more cents won't break me, but I'm tired of it. Since the change, I haven't spent one penny on the vending machines. This last go around ticked me off. We got just got nickel and dimed, they'll inch up the price for as long as they can until folks stop paying it.
            And its gotta be Disney jacking up the price. I don't these prices in vending machines out in the 'real world'. I can get much better deals at my apartment complex, now that is convenient.
            "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Originally posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
              Gas is not the only thing that is being affected by the economy. Just today I was at the grocery store and woman had to cancel her entire purchase becuase her CC declined for $70... Every day more and more people are having to make difficult decisions... Buy Gas, Food, or pay the rent... Every day we are getting closer to a severe depression.. At what point is the economic slump going to plunge so deep that Disney will eventually need to close its doors during the week... This world is getting scary and unfortunately it is only going to get worse...
              This goes back to the crashing Real Estate market. People are no longer able to borrow against their homes to fund the lifestyle they couldn't afford in the first place. Their adjustable rate mortgages are resetting from the teaser rates to the "real" rate and their monthly payments are skyrocketing. So they have been using their credit cards as "income extenders" to make ends meet, but now the CC's are getting maxed out.

As to how this will affect DLR's revenues, we will have to wait and see. My guess is that out of town business will drop, but could be offset by local business, especially since many people will probably now be skipping expensive out of town trips. There is the chance that the current "day trip" crowd might thin out, so attendance could drop. Could Monday closures come back? Maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                Yup. The vending machine prices have gone up several times since I started working at Disney. 10 more cents won't break me, but I'm tired of it. Since the change, I haven't spent one penny on the vending machines. This last go around ticked me off. We got just got nickel and dimed, they'll inch up the price for as long as they can until folks stop paying it.
                And its gotta be Disney jacking up the price. I don't these prices in vending machines out in the 'real world'. I can get much better deals at my apartment complex, now that is convenient.
                I guess that they realize that employees are a captive "audience" too. Its a good thing that there are laws stating the employees must be paid in cash or checks, otherwise employers would pay us in scrip and force us to shop at the company store.

Comment

here's a bigger joke for you. Simply Orange orange juice, it's 1.69 at stater brothers for the exact same size bottle. Price a guest pays in the park for it? (tommorrowland fruit cart under the observatron space wreckage is where I saw this) 4.50! yep, you read it right! go and look if you don't believe me...

i find it funny that backstage in pizza port is a quote from walt basically saying that he didn't want games of chance, etc in his park that cheat the guest out of their money. Today we just call it outdoor vending and stores! seriously. 3.00 churros? 4.50 bottles of orange juice? insane markups on disney merchandise? so much for not cheating the guest out of their hard earned money...

Comment

here's a bigger joke for you. Simply Orange orange juice, it's 1.69 at stater brothers for the exact same size bottle. Price a guest pays in the park for it? (tommorrowland fruit cart under the observatron space wreckage is where I saw this) 4.50! yep, you read it right! go and look if you don't believe me...

i find it funny that backstage in pizza port is a quote from walt basically saying that he didn't want games of chance, etc in his park that cheat the guest out of their money. Today we just call it outdoor vending and stores! seriously. 3.00 churros? 4.50 bottles of orange juice? insane markups on disney merchandise? so much for not cheating the guest out of their hard earned money...
                    How are the rides at Stater Bros ?

Seriously, though the prices are outrageous, there is a correlation here between the effect of 'giving away' Disneyland visits with the Annual Passes and recouping the lost funds (and operational costs to run the attractions) through consumables.
                    Last edited by JeffYardDog; 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM.

Comment

At $10 per gallon gas, we'll have to go back to living in close-quartered urban living to be near our jobs. All those newly minted exurbs will become ghost towns, and the suburbs will either become really expensive to live in due to the cost of the commute or effective public transportation systems will have to be built.

Comment

Originally posted by vfire View Post
                        At $10 per gallon gas, we'll have to go back to living in close-quartered urban living to be near our jobs. All those newly minted exurbs will become ghost towns, and the suburbs will either become really expensive to live in due to the cost of the commute or effective public transportation systems will have to be built.
                        It will definitely have an effect on the exurbs. Even with a 50+ mpg car, a 100 mile RT to the office @ $10 a gallon will cost $20. Thats $400 a month (Imagine how much it will cost in a pickup truck: $1000+ per month). Car pooling will become necessary for most folks. Those who live in the exurbs and more distant suburbs will have to adapt. Those who can will telecommute. One thing will be certain, the value of homes in exurbs will decline substantially.

Some are theorizing that we will see a reverse migration. Instead of the middle class fleeing to the burbs leaving the central city to the poor, they see the opposite happening: inner city values rise and force the poor to the exurbs, to live in foreclosed McMansions that will be converted into section 8 apartments.

We are entering uncharted territory. Up until now cheap energy has always been available. Some are concerned about agricultural production, which in our country due to the use of chemical fertilizers and mechanization is an energy intensive enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
                          How are the rides at Stater Bros ?

Seriously, though the prices are outrageous, there is a correlation here between the effect of 'giving away' Disneyland visits with the Annual Passes and recouping the lost funds (and operational costs to run the attractions) through consumables.
                          That is the business model. Even if you intend to be frugal, once you get thirsty you just cough up the $$$ for the bottled water or pop.

Of course, most SoCal'ers are aware of how much a day trip to DLR costs, even with APs. They know that meals, cokes and snacks are expensive. What will happen as the money gets tighter? Will those AP's not be renewed? Or will other luxuries be dropped instead? I'm sure this question keeps the suits in the TDA building awake at night.

Comment

It's not secret that those prices get jacked up. That's standard for amusement parks, movie theatres, hotel lobby shops etc. I am talking about the stuff offered backstage for the Cast. Gone are the days of subsidizing the meals, I understand that. But, the prices should be comparable to the outside world. If I can get a can of coke for 75 cents in the real world, why does it cost 90 cents in the break room? It's just plain greed.
                            "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

It's not secret that those prices get jacked up. That's standard for amusement parks, movie theatres, hotel lobby shops etc. I am talking about the stuff offered backstage for the Cast. Gone are the days of subsidizing the meals, I understand that. But, the prices should be comparable to the outside world. If I can get a can of coke for 75 cents in the real world, why does it cost 90 cents in the break room? It's just plain greed.
                              With all the trouble the DLR has in attracting and retaining employees one would think that gouging them for snacks and meals would be a bad idea. I'm sure that it looks good on a spreadsheet somewhere... just another example of Corporate America being pennywise and pound foolish.

Comment

After much deliberation, I decided to leave DL not too long ago.
                                Gas prices weren't the main reason, but it was one of them (coming up with a good reason for quitting Disneyland is the toughest thing in the world).

Alas, living in Glendale, it was just way too hard.
                                Yay, betrothal!:blush:

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X