X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping and Beach help around Anaheim

Hello all,

We will be heading to Disneyland in June and I need some suggestions for shopping and beach. We are staying at the Fairfield inn. I have 2 Boys that are 14 and 12 1/2.

For shopping, we would like some outlet malls or anyplace you can get a really good deal. We will have a rental car and will drive up to about 30 mins or so. My boys love American Eagle, Nike, sporty stuff. Any suggestions on the best shopping place would be great. I just love a good deal, lol, plus the way they are growing and outgrowing stuff, cheap is good, lol

I would like to hit a beach if we have time. What is the best beach within 30 mins of Disneyland. Not so much for swimming, more for just hanging out, going for a walk, etc.

Thanks all,
    Lori

Re: Shopping and Beach help around Anaheim

Hi There,

As far as beach areas, I've always enjoyed Newport Beach. There's a nice pier with a fun 50's-style diner at the end for a quick burger, etc. On the opposite side of the Balboa Peninsula from the pier, you'll find a vintage "fun zone" -- a rather genuine little stip of mild amusements (bumper cars, frozen bananas -- known as "Balboa Bars" -- and a real old ferris wheel, along with the requisite tacky souvenir shops, etc.

But the real jewel is the little man-made Balboa Island. It's just a few minutes across from the pier, via little ferries that can hold about three cars and maybe 20 pedestrians. It costs about $2. Then, upon arriving to the island, you can enjoy a lovely stroll as the sun sets, the jasmine unleashes its perfume, and charming waterfront homes light up like so many doll houses. There's a main street with a couple of nice old-fashioned mom-and-pop ice cream shops, and a real local vibe.

Anyway, I used to live in the area and visited many times, so if you'd like any directions or further advice, I'd be happy to oblige.

At any rate, have a fantastic trip!

--Werner

Comment

Hmmm...

South Coast Plaza, definitely.

Also, if you have the time, catch a ferry to Catalina Island and take one of the tours. A good one-day excursion.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
      HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
      ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
      FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

We went to Newport Beach the last time we were at Disneyland. We just asked a guy at McDonalds where the closest, easiest-to-get-to beach was, and he told us to just drive down Harbor Blvd. until we ran into Newport. I think those were the directions. Hopefully somebody can back me up on that. I believe it was only about a 20-minute easy drive without getting on a freeway. (You know, less chance for us to drive 10 miles in the wrong direction.) It was Thanksgiving, so we didn't go swimming, but we had a good time. We never realized the beach was so easy to get to from Disneyland.
        Maggie doesn't get along with the other babies . . .

Comment

By June the GardenWalk mall should be open. It's right in the resort district, at Katella and Clementine, a few blocks from Disneyland. There's also the Block at Orange, which is on The City Dr. south of Chapman (you'll want to look at Google Maps).

Traditional malls in the area are actually somewhat few -- there's Santa Ana Mainplace, on Main Street and Town & Country in Santa Ana, the Brea Mall at Imperial Highway and State College Boulevard in Brea, the Westminster Mall at Bolsa Ave. and the 405 Fwy. in Westminster, and South Coast Plaza at Anton Blvd. and Bristol St. in Costa Mesa.

Outlet malls are, hm, going to be further away I'm afraid. The closest outlet mall I can think of is Lake Elsinore, which is at least an hour from Disneyland in Riverside County.

I don't love Newport Beach... I don't know why, I just don't. I'm a much bigger fan of Huntington Beach (which is actually two beaches, one is Huntington City Beach, and the other is Bolsa Chica State Beach). From Disneyland the easiest way is to take Katella west, turn left on Beach Boulevard, and drive until you see water. If you want the downtown area, which is a nice place to walk around and hang out, turn right Main Street from Beach Boulevard and follow it downtown.

(There are totally faster ways, but this is the easiest way. The fastest way is to go down Harbor to the 22 west, get off at Magnolia, get on Magnolia southbound, and then turn right on Ellis, which turns into Main Street and runs straight downtown).

Comment

Originally posted by ZaphodB View Post

Outlet malls are, hm, going to be further away I'm afraid. The closest outlet mall I can think of is Lake Elsinore, which is at least an hour from Disneyland in Riverside County.
            There's also the Citadel which is just off the 5 Freeway heading north on the Santa Ana (5) Freeway. Don't go at rush hours though.

Comment

As mentioned above, the Citadel would probably be your best bet for outlet shopping. It should only be about a 20-25 minute drive North (that's without traffic). It's just off the 5 freeway, in Commerce. They have a mix of stores, and sometimes you can find some good bargains there. South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa is a huge, shiny, impressive mall with pretty much everything, but it does lean toward the higher-end, and since you were stressing you wanted to find deals, this may not be the best place for that.

As far as beaches, Newport and Huntington are good representations of classic Southern California beaches, but it can be very crowded during the summer and parking can be tricky and/or costly, so just be prepared. A little farther south is Laguna beach, which is beautiful and a little more peaceful than Newport, but you may not want to drive that far. Or, if you're already heading North to go to the Citadel, then Santa Monica and Venice beaches are only another 20 minutes or so past that (then you can be back in Anaheim in about 45 minutes at the end of your shopping and beach day (again, that's without traffic).

Feel free to PM me if you would like any more advice/info. Have a great trip!

Comment

I live in Newport so I might be a little biased but imo Newport is nicer than Huntington for what you are looking for. There are lots of shops and retaurants near the beach in Balboa. Also, head to Big Corona or Little Corona State Beaches. Little Corona especially is beautiful with tide pools to explore. Also parking is never that difficult at these beaches.

One thing to keep in mind about June. And that is the June gloom. These are overcast skies that usually burn off by the afternoon in Anaheim. But at the beaches it often can remain grey and gloomy the whole day, with occasional fog. So that's one thing to keep in mind.

We are getting this weather right now so its starting up. Hopefully it won't be as bad this year.

Comment

What time year you are coming?

Laguna Beach is a nice Beach. is 26 mile From Disneyland
                  take 5 fwy south to 133 fwy south and you hit Lagung Beach.

Newport beach is take 5 fwy south to 55 fwy and you hit Newport Beach
                  AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
                  Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
                  Older photo
                  New Photo

Member of
                  MiceChat WDW Trip
                  Next trip
                  2014 Dec, 31

Comment

thanks so much for all your help, I think we will do Newport beach and try and find the Citadel, lol. we have a GPS in the rental car so if anybody has an address for the citadel mall that would be great.

thanks for the tips and boy, I cant wait, getting closer, lol

Comment

I did a google and this what come up with:

Citadel Factory Outlet. 20 minutes north of Disney. 5675 E. Telegraph Road, Commerce. Tel:- 328-888-1724.
                      43 Factory Outlet stores selling direct to the public a whole host of goods.
                      AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
                      Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
                      Older photo
                      New Photo

Member of
                      MiceChat WDW Trip
                      Next trip
                      2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Originally posted by arabians4ever View Post
                        thanks so much for all your help, I think we will do Newport beach and try and find the Citadel, lol. we have a GPS in the rental car so if anybody has an address for the citadel mall that would be great.

thanks for the tips and boy, I cant wait, getting closer, lol
                        North on 5.
                        Google says to get off at Exit 128B.
                        Left on Telegraph (parallels The 5).
                        Right on Citadel drive.

Comment

Be careful using a GPS around the Citadel. There is some construction around the 5 at Telegraph and Washington. The streets that parallel the freeway can also be very tricky to someone who is not use to LA type streets. Especially to the north of the Citadel. Check it out on Google Earth to get an idea of the area. My advise is to say away from the northern area all together and don't get to far from the freeway. Trust me, you don't want to get lost in East LA.

Newport and Balboa are great for hanging out. But Of course I have to suggest my town of Huntington Beach. There is a Ruby's 50's Dinner at the end of the pier, a main street full of shops and dinning. And a surfers walk of fame. If your interested in this area too give me a PM and I'll give you tips on parking and locations of great spots. HB is about 10 min. north of Newport on PCH...it's a great drive! Oh and I believe they opened a Ruby's Diner at the Citadel too! Here's their web site...

http://www.citadeloutlets.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X