This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Astro Blasers Vs. Toy Story Mania

I've never been a huge fan of BLAB, I only rode it once during its preview in DLP and realised I didn't like this arcade like attraction. Judging by the crowds in line every single time I pass in front of it, I resigned myself to its great success, and congratulates who ever thought it up. No my taste, but the one of many.

I can tell you the next time I pass BLAB, i'll check in for a fast pass and finaly ride it again to give it more testing, for I think it's worth it. I can't wait to Ride Midway Mania as well, because of the theming and because of the 3d technology.
    I know they won't replace every single Disney experience with interactive rides like those, so i'm confident and happy of their success. In the mean time, for those who have rode both or have seen the ridethough video of TSM and know this cannot define a ride experience, i'm wondering how those too compare ?

Any people have any thoughts about their differences and similitudes ?
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

Re: Buzz Astro Blasers Vs. Toy Story Mania

I'll wait till I've experienced it in person. I suspect, however, I'll feel much the same way I do about BLAB--the attraction works because most guests, myself included, get so tunnel-visioned that they only look at the targets most of the time. Going cheap on the surrounding elements is okay because the guests don't spend much time looking at...well, the attraction. It's an unfortunately successful and frugal strategy. The result is a game that's pretty fun, not an attraction that blows my socks off. Guess you can't win 'em all.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
      I'll wait till I've experienced it in person. I suspect, however, I'll feel much the same way I do about BLAB--the attraction works because most guests, myself included, get so tunnel-visioned that they only look at the targets most of the time. Going cheap on the surrounding elements is okay because the guests don't spend much time looking at...well, the attraction. It's an unfortunately successful and frugal strategy. The result is a game that's pretty fun, not an attraction that blows my socks off. Guess you can't win 'em all.

I have to agree with you. Anyone remember the opening of Toy Story 2 where Buzz is flying through space and over the planet and blasts through all the robots to get to Zurg's Lair? And then finally comes face to face with him at the end? I personally think that would have been the cooler way to do it.

I almost think we see Zurg too soon and even forget what we're doing because we're surrounded by these cheap targets.

But to compare the two, I'll have to wait until I ride both. I think Toy Story Mania has the potential to be more knock your socks off amazing because it's more fast paced and interactive and something we've not really done before. But I think the real test will be how we like it after years and years of seeing it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

As Mr. Wiggins recently observed, Buzz Lightyear is the Parks & Resorts equivalent of the direct-to-video sequels.

I expect Toy Story Midway Mania to be more of the same.

Comment

I think TSM is much more interactive. I believe that you have effects such as air blown on you when you hit an item... plus it's 3D
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

Comment

I have to agree with you. Anyone remember the opening of Toy Story 2 where Buzz is flying through space and over the planet and blasts through all the robots to get to Zurg's Lair? And then finally comes face to face with him at the end? I personally think that would have been the cooler way to do it.
            Awesome opening sequence, yep. Confused the heck out of me the first time I saw it, but I loved seeing some genuine sci-fi action in a Pixar film--complete with Star Wars references and everything! And come to think of it, they really could have built on a lot of those scene for the attraction without sacrificing their lovely interactivity. Start with an amazing flying-through-the-atmosphere scene where you just look and don't shoot, then "land" in a cratered landscape where robots soon pop up for you to shoot; perhaps expand this into two rooms. Dive into the Z-shaped door in the ground (there's enough vertical space in the show building to start out at the top level and then progress down!), pass through tunnels while defeating smaller robots, and so on and so forth, culminating in a final showdown with Zurg. Some of us would criticize it as a too-obvious movie tie-in, I'm sure, but we wouldn't realize how much better it'd be than the alternative.

plus it's 3D
            So's Buzz.

Comment

Am I the only one who's not a huge fan of the 3D element? I feel its very 1980's.
              Also I HATE wearing those dumb glasses that hundreds of people have already worn. My germaphobic self will have to bring Purrell in spray form next time.
              I don't mind wearing the glasses as much when its a show, but a ride??

Facebook me!
              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                Awesome opening sequence, yep. Confused the heck out of me the first time I saw it, but I loved seeing some genuine sci-fi action in a Pixar film--complete with Star Wars references and everything! And come to think of it, they really could have built on a lot of those scene for the attraction without sacrificing their lovely interactivity. Start with an amazing flying-through-the-atmosphere scene where you just look and don't shoot, then "land" in a cratered landscape where robots soon pop up for you to shoot; perhaps expand this into two rooms. Dive into the Z-shaped door in the ground (there's enough vertical space in the show building to start out at the top level and then progress down!), pass through tunnels while defeating smaller robots, and so on and so forth, culminating in a final showdown with Zurg. Some of us would criticize it as a too-obvious movie tie-in, I'm sure, but we wouldn't realize how much better it'd be than the alternative.

Totally! And I think they could have achieved it even with the limited space. I think the one thing that I find lacking the most is the actual feel that this is indeed a mission. We have a briefing from Buzz, but from that point on, it's just a cheap ride. It'd be awesome if there was a really small room where you see the location of where you're going. Like "GAMMA QUANDRANT IV" or whatever it was in the movie. But in green computer letters.

Ok i'm done armchair imagineering! sorry.

Comment

I don't like video games... So I'm nervous about Toy Story.

Comment

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                    I don't like video games... So I'm nervous about Toy Story.
                    The imagineers behind the attraction were very adamant that this experience did not feel or act like a video game. I'm definitely interested in hearing your thoughts when you ride and if they were successful in that regard.

Comment

The imagineers behind the attraction were very adamant that this experience did not feel or act like a video game.
                      Were they? A big part of their shtick is the idea that gamers come to the parks expecting more games, and so Disney should thus cater to that need.

Comment

I think it's odd that both "shoot your own gun at a target" attractions feature characters from the same movie.

To me, it seems a little "Groundhog Day" but we'll see.

Comment

I think it's odd that both "shoot your own gun at a target" attractions feature characters from the same movie.
                          I know what you mean. Meh, maybe the fact that neither actually has too much to do with the movies themselves (or the lands they inhabit!) will help.

Comment

I think I'm gonna miss the Disney Animatronics ride experience where every thing moving is actually a real shape, not some projection, even on 3D. But that kind of limits the possibility I suppose
                            I just hope they're gonna work on the sound problem mentionned in several blogs and posts. Though when I think of it, isn't it the same with BLAB ? (gee i can't get enough of this abreviation ) But I guess, in BLAB (hehe) You don't stop every minute to learn and immerse youself in a new minigame, you just ride on...
                            Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

Comment

But I guess, in BLAB (hehe) You don't stop every minute to learn and immerse youself in a new minigame, you just ride on...
                              No kidding. Honestly, all I really remember from the attraction scenery are the two rooms involving Zurg and the dark tunnel with the changing targets. Everything else is mostly a blur of targets I can rarely hit. It makes for a mildly fun experience for me and nothing more.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X