• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Chaney
    Godwin Glacier, Alaska
    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Feb 2005

Redheaded Pirate Painting At Disneyland

I hope this request doesn't violate any copyright laws. There's a painting of a reclining redhead female pirate above the bar in Disneyland's Pirates Of The Caribbean attraction. This is at the scene where the skeletons are enjoying their drinks and you can see the one skeleton's drink pass right through him.

Can any of you supply an image of that painting or point me in the direction of one. I know there was a thread on this subject in the distant past here on MiceChat but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Sue Kruse
    • Jan 2005

Re: Redheaded Pirate Painting At Disneyland

Try googling Marc Davis, Pirates of the Caribbean. I did that and found this. That's the painting you mean, right?

Comment

• HBG2
      Inhospitable about happy
      • May 2006

Here ya go, perverts

Extra value! Here's Marc Davis's concept sketch for the painting:

Wonder if those seagulls are saying, MINE MINE MINE
      "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog..

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
        Blind to His Own Faults
        • Dec 2006

It is referred to as "A Portrait of Things To Come'. Great shots, HBG!! I did a ultra-rough watercolor study of it using it for a friend's O scale building interior decoration (it was drastically sized down later to fit, of course):

Comment

• TaraPiglet
          MiceChatter
          • May 2007

She looks like that girl Rizzo from Grease in the 2nd one.

Comment

• Tom Chaney
            Godwin Glacier, Alaska
            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
            • Feb 2005

Thank you!

That's exactly what I was looking for.
            "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
            -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

• HBG2
              Inhospitable about happy
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Tom Chaney View Post
              Thank you!

That's exactly what I was looking for.
              Ain't we all, buddy. Ain't we all.
              Last edited by HBG2; 05-16-2008, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• tigger37
                MiceChatter
                • Dec 2006

So is there a story behind this painting?

Comment

• Lore
                  Animatronic
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tigger37 View Post
                  So is there a story behind this painting?
                  Rumor has it, the caves show the fate of the ill-fated pirates to come, thus red head in the portrait is the same red head seen at auction.

Comment

• Steve DeGaetano
                    Banned User
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                    It is referred to as "A Portrait of Things To Come'. Great shots, HBG!! I did a ultra-rough watercolor study of it using it for a friend's O scale building interior decoration (it was drastically sized down later to fit, of course):
                    You son of a gun! (That's a naval term, folks).

I didn't know you did that!

Look for an upcoming story on more of Swab's work in a future MiceAge article.
                    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 05-17-2008, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• techskip
                      I Break Things
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                      You son of a gun! (That's a naval term, folks).

I didn't know you did that!

Look for an upcoming story on more of Swab's work in a future MiceAge article.
                      Not to stray off topic but he also drew my Avatar, he's quite the talented artist!

As to the painting; I am continually shocked that all reference to Pirates chasing women was at one point removed, but this sultry wonder was allowed to stay. Please do not misunderstand, I LOVE redheads, wife's a redhead (and we have 4 kids). I just see a rather large irony in decision.
                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• The Dark Lady
                        Practically Magic
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                        Not to stray off topic but he also drew my Avatar, he's quite the talented artist!

As to the painting; I am continually shocked that all reference to Pirates chasing women was at one point removed, but this sultry wonder was allowed to stay. Please do not misunderstand, I LOVE redheads, wife's a redhead (and we have 4 kids). I just see a rather large irony in decision.
                        Perhaps it has something to do with the painting's complete absence of any indication of .

Comment

• HBG2
                          Inhospitable about happy
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by The Dark Lady View Post
                          Perhaps it has something to do with the painting's complete absence of any indication of .
                          Good point.

The nudity in this painting is pretty shocking, though. I mean, let's get some pants on that cherub.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                            Blind to His Own Faults
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by The Dark Lady View Post
                            The chase scene, eh? When one takes into consideration the originally recorded accompanying soundtrack to the scene that to some reactionaries is such a clear 'indication of ', one would hear kissing noises, and protestations of 'love' on the pirate's part; in one instance: "About ship, me lovey! It's the pride o' me heart ye be!".

Just like the auction scene, this vignette was played down as harmless fun. It is hypocritical IMO to NOT condemn the Auction scene, if one has come to the conclusion that the 'woman chasing' sequence is unseemly. By really considering the designer's intent for the chase scene, it is hard for me to see this paralleled as . I suppose Pepe LePew* would be a rapist using these same standards.

*you younger folks, go ahead and Google him--you'll like it.

Comment

• HBG2
                              Inhospitable about happy
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                              The chase scene, eh? When one takes into consideration the originally recorded accompanying soundtrack to the scene that to some reactionaries is such a clear 'indication of ', one would hear kissing noises, and protestations of 'love' on the pirate's part; in one instance: "About ship, me lovey! It's the pride o' me heart ye be!".

Just like the auction scene, this vignette was played down as harmless fun. It is hypocritical IMO to NOT condemn the Auction scene, if one has come to the conclusion that the 'woman chasing' sequence is unseemly. By really considering the designer's intent for the chase scene, it is hard for me to see this paralleled as . I suppose Pepe LePew* would be a rapist using these same standards.

*you younger folks, go ahead and Google him--you'll like it.
                              Well, TSkip's post expressed befuddlement over why the painting inspired no complaints while the chase scene apparently did. I think DL nailed it. Whether the complainers had a (peg)leg to stand on when they took offense at the chase scene is a separate issue.

Comment

• The Dark Lady
                                Practically Magic
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                                Well, TSkip's post expressed befuddlement over why the painting inspired no complaints while the chase scene apparently did. I think DL nailed it. Whether the complainers had a (peg)leg to stand on when they took offense at the chase scene is a separate issue.
                                Thank you, HBG. Indeed, that is a separate issue, and one better suited to be fought over in its own thread.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                                  Blind to His Own Faults
                                  • Dec 2006

The often misapplied '' tag gets put on POTC every so often. Everytime I see it, I will offer rebuttal. The subject was not brought up by me--merely commented upon.

Comment

• techskip
                                    I Break Things
                                    • Jun 2007

So the implications of sexual contact, be it forced or invited, must be removed but the outward expression of nudity and sexuality can stay? I am slightly confused on that point. Also if one considers the chase scene, the last pirate was BEING chased... so then was he the victim of an attempted ?

My point in the former is that both auction and painting remain, but any indication of pirates chasing be it out of love or lust has been stricken from the attraction. Again I did not mean to stray off topic. On a personal note I love the painting.
                                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                                      Blind to His Own Faults
                                      • Dec 2006

So the implications of sexual contact, be it forced or invited, must be removed but the outward expression of nudity and sexuality can stay? I am slightly confused on that point. Also if one considers the chase scene, the last pirate was BEING chased... so then was he the victim of an attempted ?

My point in the former is that both auction and painting remain, but any indication of pirates chasing be it out of love or lust has been stricken from the attraction. Again I did not mean to stray off topic. On a personal note I love the painting.
                                      Careful now, skip--you may get accused of starting a tangent discussion in a dead thread.

Comment

• HBG2
                                        Inhospitable about happy
                                        • May 2006

It's just that this discussion is about the painting, and the painting skates past the controversy because there's no implication of force in it. If you insist that the complainers' real motive was mere prudishness, than you can use the painting to play gotcha, but if their motives were what they claimed they were, then it's perfectly sensible that they ignored the painting.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X