• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • techskip
    I Break Things
    • Jun 2007

A Bug's Life realization

Something I was thinking about on my most recent trip to the park. Flick's Fair obviously doesn't have the greatest attractions, most would call them standard mall or amusement park rides. It does however have a very convincing and immersive theme. From the giant water faucet and sprinkler head, to the various "buildings" spread throughout. In fact I snapped these

Which show how well the HTH blends in and makes you feel even smaller while walking around. So, hats off to WDI for making a highly immersive land, even if the actual entertainment within is seriously lacking.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• animagusurreal
    MiceChatter
    • Oct 2006

Re: A Bug's Life realization

I only went there once, when I thought I could find a shortcut to ToT that wasn't there. I did use the restrooms, in which there happened to be some bugs, and I wondered for a split second of they were tiny little animatronics .

Like Toontown (the theming of which I love) I wish there were more full-fledged Disney attractions there so I would have an excuse to walk out there. This land's only non-off-the-shelf offering seems to to ITTBAB. I saw that once, I enjoyed it, but I have no particular urge to see it again. My favorite part, in fact, was the lobby with all the parody stage play posters and the "bee" Broadway instrumentals, since I'm a theatre critic .

Also, even though ITTBAB seems to be the "anchor" or "signature" attraction of the land, it's not in the heart of Flik's Fun Fair. The Fun Fair seems to be entirely dominated by off-the-shelf.

That's an interesting observation about ToT, it does look like it helps with the feeling of being small. However, it also tricks us poor unsuspecting saps who didn't bother to look at the map think that there will be some way through the land to ToT .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

• Luke Manning
      Banned User
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
      The Fun Fair seems to be entirely dominated by off-the-shelf.
      That, like with Paradise Pier, is sadly the point.

I however love the theming. Definitely some of the best in DCA! It was actually even rumored to be duplicated at Animal Kingdom at one point, so it can't be all that bad!

Comment

• hobbitfeet
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2007

I'm a big fan of bug's land, not just b/c it has only one way in or out so accidentally losing my 3 year old in the crowd isn't AS scary as it would be in Fantasyland. So I pay attention to the land while I'm there.

And along with the theming of really feeling like you're in the lawn of TOT, if you watch the video in the Rod Serling room of that ride (I don't know what to call that room), at one point they show an exterior shot of the grounds, and you can see shapes that look like the clover-looking "plants" in bug's land. So the theme is even carried out in TOT.

Now I've only been on TOT twice, and only once noticed this (the other time I was focused on feeling bad for a CM having a rotten lousy no good day with her co-workers), so I can't explain more of where it is. But I'll be there next weekend and beyond, and I can't wait to watch the movie/film/short again.

Comment

• Coheteboy
          Starcruiser.. crash crash
          MiceChat Moderator
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
          Also, even though ITTBAB seems to be the "anchor" or "signature" attraction of the land, it's not in the heart of Flik's Fun Fair. The Fun Fair seems to be entirely dominated by off-the-shelf.

Quite right on both statements.

a) the 3D attraction is the best thing in A Bug's Land but definitely feels like outside territory. Should A Bug's Land reach out to encompass the 3D attraction? I certainly think so. But then again, the queue is kind of unique in that we are full sized humans when we line up and the entire time, we're treated as humans only to wear "bug-eyes". Flik's Fun Fair is acknowledging that you're bug sized already. I think they could make it work though.

b) Flik's Fun Fair is off the shelf. Off the shelf is generally okay with me when it's done right. But here, it's off the shelf for no other reason than to be off the shelf.

I think of the name "flik's fun fair". What does that mean? He's an inventor so he made Flik's Flyers, a nice flying ride made with found objects. Even though I don't really like the ride itself, I think it's pretty clever.

But... what about the other off the shelf rides? They don't share the characteristic of belonging to Flik at all! The other rides are us riding giant heads of Francis, riding Tuck and Roll and their twins in a bumper car, and riding along with Heimlich while he chews and burps his way around the grass.

What happened? Is this a fair made by bugs for bugs? Isn't that the concept of it? That would have been great if they really pulled it off. Make it as if Flik created this little mini-theme park for his fellow ants to celebrate their freedom from the Grasshoppers. It would even be neat to see a large oversized bird made of leaves still hanging overhead.

I often times come off as a big hater of off-the-shelf attractions, because of course I'd favor them build unique ones. But when off-the-shelf is asked for, I'd want them to give it the proper attention to it like they did with the Fantasyland ones.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• techskip
            I Break Things
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
            I think of the name "flik's fun fair". What does that mean? He's an inventor so he made Flik's Flyers, a nice flying ride made with found objects. Even though I don't really like the ride itself, I think it's pretty clever.

But... what about the other off the shelf rides? They don't share the characteristic of belonging to Flik at all! The other rides are us riding giant heads of Francis, riding Tuck and Roll and their twins in a bumper car, and riding along with Heimlich while he chews and burps his way around the grass.
            This is identical to how I feel about the actual attractions, but as an overall land I think it is probably one of the most immersive themes in DCA.

sigpic

Comment

• Armadillo4
              It's a music celebration!
              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by techskip View Post
              Flick's Fair obviously doesn't have the greatest attractions, most would call them standard mall or amusement park rides. It does however have a very convincing and immersive theme. From the giant water faucet and sprinkler head, to the various "buildings" spread throughout.
              Excellent post and observation techskip! The theming is definitely very immersive. Like you said, the rides leave a lot to be desired, but the environment is really cool just to wander around. Even the benches are themed! I love these.

Comment

• pianoman13
                Fancy that...
                • Jun 2007

I agree with you techskip that Bugs land has great theming, but I don't like the HTH being right there, It contrasts with the theming of Bugs land IMO, I guess there's no law saying that there can't be a hollywood themed buildings there... but it just seems odd to me, I'd rather see that tremendous view of the HTH be used for a new Hollywood street area in that spot, just sayin..:blush:

Comment

• Darkbeer
                  Darkbeer
                  • Jan 2005

That has been a problem with DCA since day one, underwhelming and half.....

Disney heard the complaints of lack of Theming and children attractions at DCA, and built Flik's Fun Fair in response.

Alas, they forgot to build quality attractions as part of the equation.

But then again, Disney was looking to cut back and build on the cheap...

http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/dca_interesting_look_back_last-9078.html

1996 KEY TO A CHEAPER PARK

Facility, Show or Ride - Pick any 2.

Capitalize on an improving ride industry.

Take known technology & theme it with paint color, lighting & graphics.

Take advantage of engineering already spent by others.

"Direct Lifts"

If it's good enough for Six Flags ....

The "Guiding Principles"
                  So Disney went with heavy theming, but built some very lame rides, including Heimlich's, which takes longer to load than the actual ride. Why wasn't it longer, with a show building???

And as for the Bumper Cars, it has the same height limit as the versions at Knott's and SFMM, both of which are located in the adult areas of their parks. Why did they add it, if it was designed for a kids area???

Should be interesting to see how they work the pathways between Cars Land, "a bug's land" and Tower of Terror when the expand the park.
                  Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• Frosty Bear
                    New MiceChatter
                    • Oct 2007

Bugs land deserves to go. The rides they are just pitiful and no land should ever be based on one movie. I hope Disney Park don't become more Pixar orientated and forgets about the classic Disney movies and rides that really had a lot of magic. Although, these movies are probably a hit at the time like A Bug's Life, I don't see many kids or people watching it now and the land is not very interesting anymore without knowing the movie.

Comment

• Frosty Bear
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Oct 2007

I am interested. WHat do you guys think about Carsland?

Comment

• techskip
                        I Break Things
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Frosty Bear View Post
                        Bugs land deserves to go. The rides they are just pitiful and no land should ever be based on one movie. I hope Disney Park don't become more Pixar orientated and forgets about the classic Disney movies and rides that really had a lot of magic. Although, these movies are probably a hit at the time like A Bug's Life, I don't see many kids or people watching it now and the land is not very interesting anymore without knowing the movie.
                        I was commenting on the rather impressive theme. As I said the attractions left a lot to be desired. I also do not agree with theming an entire land around one movie. I feel the same about Carsland. In any event I feel that they did an amazing job of creating a very immersive theme despite the restriction of it being movie specific and despite the lackluster attractions... it is still an immersive theme.

I also find it ironic that you need to go to Bugs to ride bumper cars that are usually found on most standard boardwalks!

sigpic

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2008

I think bugsland should go eventually, FFF was a cheap quick fix and will feel even more out place after the remodel. It won't fit well with the new theme at all. It is one of the more cohesively themed areas of DCA now though, and that's really just a sad statement about the park as a whole rather than a big compliment of FFF.

I also think that Carsland should not be entirely themed to cars. I think thematically it could fit the park nicely, if it focuses on car culture in CA in general, not just the movie.
                          Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• Baloo
                            • Jun 2005

To say that FFF was built on the cheap is ridiculous just because it uses off the shelf systems for the attractions. Off the shelf ride systems have always been used to a certain degree. Its the emersive theming that was used to hide these systems that stand out in an area made to be enjoyed by people of all ages incling TOTs.

I find it amazing how some continue to use the arguement of going cheap continously when it comes to DCA's additions yet ignores the fact that the same attraction systems are praised in TDS. The diference is in the theming. Mermaid lagoon consist of the same off the shelf systems as several of DCA's attractions including FFF, the diference is that TDS had a Sea themed that required a huge structure to engulf you in the environment compared to the oversize lawn theme of FFF.

Comment

• Frosty Bear
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                              I was commenting on the rather impressive theme. As I said the attractions left a lot to be desired. I also do not agree with theming an entire land around one movie. I feel the same about Carsland. In any event I feel that they did an amazing job of creating a very immersive theme despite the restriction of it being movie specific and despite the lackluster attractions... it is still an immersive theme.

I also find it ironic that you need to go to Bugs to ride bumper cars that are usually found on most standard boardwalks!
                              Agreed. Sorry about bringing this negativety... I just couldn't hold it in i guess. :blush:

Comment

• Datameister
                                =)
                                • Aug 2005

To say that FFF was built on the cheap is ridiculous just because it uses off the shelf systems for the attractions. Off the shelf ride systems have always been used to a certain degree.
                                But off-the-shelf ride systems are cheap. That's why they're installed! They draw in reasonable numbers of people and they don't cost anywhere near what an original attraction would. You don't hear many people praising Dumbo as an amazing investment in profound Imagineering, do you?

Comment

• thrax
                                  careful...i'm contagous!
                                  • Aug 2006

thats awsome, i never realsized that
                                  sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

• techskip
                                    I Break Things
                                    • Jun 2007

I am considering posting a couple ride concepts. I was thinking about them shortly after writing this thread. My only concern is that I do not agree with, or support, themeing an entire land after a specific movie. Imagine if Fantasyland was completely Sleeping Beauty because it was in her castle, or if Ciritter Country could only be themed around Splash, with no room for canoes or Pooh unless they could somehow be tied into Song of the South. Adventureland, but everything must be Indy (which they did for a while and that REALLY backfired). Honestly... to theme an entire land around one movie is to paint one's self in a corner and not leave room for future attractions without breaking the existing theme. Time will tell if I will in fact post the concepts or not, but again the entire concept of theming around a movie really bothers me.

That said I still feel that the theme is one of the most immersive Disney has done. Around the holidays they even have a giant Christmas ornament... which again supports an amazing "You're a little bug" theme.

sigpic

Comment

• flynnibus
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                      But off-the-shelf ride systems are cheap. That's why they're installed! They draw in reasonable numbers of people and they don't cost anywhere near what an original attraction would. You don't hear many people praising Dumbo as an amazing investment in profound Imagineering, do you?
                                      b) Flik's Fun Fair is off the shelf. Off the shelf is generally okay with me when it's done right. But here, it's off the shelf for no other reason than to be off the shelf.
                                      As DB pointed out - it was an attempt to appease the lack of children's rides (lack of fantasyland). I think the area is stunning to walk about - it's just the attractions themselves have no appeal to my demographic.

But... what about the other off the shelf rides? They don't share the characteristic of belonging to Flik at all!
                                      I don't understand the belief that somehow they are all supposed to be integrated to him. He's the lead character... his friends are all part of a traveling circus act. So they put on a county fair/circus/carnival show. Why does everything have to be flick's directly? He's the leader of a group of characters - many of which are represented around the area.

I think it ties into the movie elements great. From the background of the circus characters, to the setting of the movie, to Flick's rise to prominence.

I think this area is a great example of what Disney can skin and weave into stories - I just don't think they have that many great ride system ideas lying around. I mean - how many ride through dark rides can you really do before it just gets boring. Plus, this area adds a volume of attractions in a relatively small space. What kind of stuff can you add beyond static display or diorahma stuff in such a small area?

I'm interested in seeing the crush coaster system for myself to understand if it really does add enough to the experience. (as an example of varying ride systems of late).

FFF and Toontown have similar DNA - great surrounds and exteriors - poor location placement - and a hollow core where the meat should be. (tho I think ITTAB and RRabit are both great attractions). The tree of life is so much nicer then the field for ITTAB - but obviously not applicable in DCA.
                                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• MagicWDI
                                        Hall Of Promise
                                        • Jan 2005

I see the flaws of not taking advantage of the potential possibilities, but the land is perfectly fine the way it is, even though it could have been more. It's a well themed land that attractions the family, catering especially to parents with young children. Ask most parents and they enjoy A Bug's Land. And even though Walt was partially inspired to create his own park because he felt tired of just sitting on a bench watching his daughters ride the marry-go-round, Walt isn't most families. Walt just wanted to ride himself because he was a kid-in-heart, but a lot of parents now-a-days would rather sit on that bench and rest sometimes.

And I personally don't mind a whole land themed to one movie, if that land has a cohesive story and engaging thematic detail throughout then it's just like any other land to me, maybe even with more of a story. I just can't relate to why some people have a problem with it. But that's just me.

Little Mermaid Lagoon at TDS is one of the park's most loved lands, and that is mostly made up of the same attractions found in Bug's Land. The only things A Bug's Land doesn't have is a covering over the land, a kiddie roller coaster, and a live show. The land does have a 3D show that is fun to take the newbies, however, which is something Mermaid Lagoon doesn't have.

Even with some of the flaws in the land, I find A Bug's Land more enjoyable than most of the other lands found in the park, and I think that's saying something to the rest of the lands, where I find myself either wanting to get into an attraction and speed myself through the land.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X