Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is nothing wrong with Star Tours as it is now, (or with a refurb...)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is nothing wrong with Star Tours as it is now, (or with a refurb...)

If something is old and tired, or behind the times (wether you like that or not) at a Disney park, chances are Disney will shape it into what's currently popular, or even politically correct to appeal to the masses. But sometimes, they will just fix what needs it and leave it alone.

Though, If you've been paying attention to how the park has changed over just 10 years, you've seen it happen. For example, the POTC rehab of 1997 and 2006. Or the new IASW rehab. Or how they closed CBJ for Pooh, just to name a few. It's all about appealing to what is hot or legit right now and I think it makes good immediate business sense. That's the point.

Star Tours opened in 1987 and has barely changed at all since then. It's like a big time capsule all the way from the queue, to the show itself.

So you can say Star Tours as we know it is pretty much asking for a refurb. It's goofy and retro- like a 1980's John Candy movie. Or maybe some old song your might remember from back then, if you actually were alive in the 80's, unlike myself. :blush:

Star Tours as a show was made way before flashy, realistic CGI, and they put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into creating it. I don't know exactly how they did all that, but I do know it involved a lot of tricks, models, and all that ILM stuff, but no CGI...

I personally am not impressed by most CGI and find older methods to be more realistic in some select situations. For animals that speak, creatures that never existed, or other impossible things, I can't see using anything but a computer to be the way to go.

But in Star Tours' case, old school, which were then conventional methods worked very well. Graininess aside, it works perfectly.

Now, I can't be an Imagineer someday and not be willing to accept change. That's not how WDI works. People, attractions, places, ideas and etc. change at WDI. So, while I'm not excited to see the Star Tours I've always known to be changed forever, I am still open to something new, but the new kid will have some big shoes to fill.

Call me old fashioned, But you guys can have your flashy, shiny CGI.
    I'm still satisfied with the hard work people put into Star Tours over 20 years ago.

I'm gonna go play my NES.

Re: There is nothing wrong with Star Tours as it is now, (or with a refurb...)

There is nothing wrong...as long as you sit on one of the ends of the back row.

The thing that bothers me about Star Tours is it seems like it would be relatively inexpensive to make a new film with new movements associated with it to make essentially a whole new ride. I guess it wouldn't be first on my list of things to change in Tomorrowland, but couldn't they have scraped a few million out of Nemo's budget to update it?

By the way, my friend noticed one of the scrolling travel messages under the big screen in the first room of the queue said something about "Endor not being the end-all anymore" and that a new flight to Tatooine was coming soon. Has that always been there, or is it a secret clue of a new Star Tours?!

Comment

nemo went way over budget so there wouldnt have been any money for star tours.

Comment

The film is in awful condition. That is what the whole ride is based on. The edit cuts are now more noticeable than ever. The ride clearly needs to be updated.

Comment

I agree that the classic use of models in filming gives a feel that CGI has yet to fully match. In regard to the ride though, it just has lost its appeal and freshness. The films have gotten bad, it rattles to the point that you just can't ignore that you're in a simulator and its asthetic is trapped in the 80's. Last time I rode it, two boys around 10 or so got off, turned to each other, and declared, that was lame. I just don't think that's the kind of reaction Disney attractions should get, so something needs to be done.
          The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
          -Walt Disney

Comment

I think CGI can be used in wonderful ways, but yes, it is being used for a little too much too soon. The quality hasn't caught up with the ambitions of the filmmakers. If we see a Star Tours II, I would hope for a nice mix of model work (unlikely ) and CGI. They both have upsides and downsides.

I do know it involved a lot of tricks, models, and all that ILM stuff, no CGI...
            That's not true, though. Some of the X-wings and parts of the Death Star trenches are early uses of CGI, and they look it, unfortunately.

Comment

As much as i make fun of this ride and how retro it is, I appreciate it so much because it's my childhood. This is something I grew up with, and yes its corny but it's such a blast from the past. And I love it in all its old school glory.

Facebook me!
              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

I don't think the design or optical effects are contributing to it's obsolescence. I think the pure fact that it's an (old) ride simulator dates it. I know the new Simpson's ride is getting glowing reviews but to me it's already out of vogue. Ride simulators are just too predictable.

I don't know exactly how they did all that, but I do know it involved a lot of tricks, models, and all that ILM stuff, but no CGI...
                this was in the 80's, I think many of the effects were aided by some modest computer technologies.

Also updating the queue as well as the film would be rather difficult. Star Tours reflects the movie's art direction which in itself is pretty 80's. Im with the OP, I'm happy ST is an old clunker.

Comment

I don't think the design or optical effects are contributing to it's obsolescence. I think the pure fact that it's an (old) ride simulator dates it. I know the new Simpson's ride is getting glowing reviews but to me it's already out of vogue. Ride simulators are just too predictable.
                  By the same token, though, Star Tours basically started the whole phenomenon--it's the Matterhorn of simulator attractions!

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                    By the same token, though, Star Tours basically started the whole phenomenon--it's the Matterhorn of simulator attractions!
                    Tis true! But roller coasters are much more believable

Comment

Tis true! But roller coasters are much more believable
                      But on the other hand, simulators open up whole new worlds of creative possibilities.

- Datameister, who's partially playing devil's advocate, and who sees merits in both types of thrill rides.

Comment

But on the other hand, simulators open up whole new worlds of creative possibilities.
                        vary true. One might also look at it as a cheep way to create fantastical worlds otherwise impossible.

- Datameister, who's partially playing devil's advocate, and who sees merits in both types of thrill rides.
                        Bless you, I just realized I'm not vary good at that.

Comment

vary true. One might also look at it as a cheep way to create fantastical worlds otherwise impossible.
                          Very true. One might also look at it as the only way (and a not-too-cheap one at that) to create fantastical worlds otherwise impossible.

Bless you, I just realized I'm not vary good at that.
                          ) It's a gift and a curse, trust me.

Comment

I think that Disney should strive to make their attractions diverse (ride system wise). Motion simulators do open up many possibilities, but I think they're slightly outdated compared to other ride systems. Not that we shouldn't get an updated(maybe 3D?) Star Tours, but overall I hope we don't get another motion simulator in DL:blush:

Comment

Very true. One might also look at it as the only way (and a not-too-cheap one at that) to create fantastical worlds otherwise impossible.

) It's a gift and a curse, trust me.
                              :lol:when I think up ideas, I try to avoid Motion simulators because it just feels like the cheap/easy/unimaginative/weak sause way out

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X