This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Minor Detail

I believe someone mentioned this before, but I noticed it on a recent trip to DCA. I find it comical that an area that barely resembles a Boardwalk pays homage to the great Boardwalks of years past.

I am a Long Beach native, so I snapped the most important one to me... but the Carousel has one for each of the notable historic Boardwalks!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: A Minor Detail

Hey, they had to have something there in theme, or at least something to pay tribute to all the amusement parks Walt was trying to avoid re-creating...

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
      Hey, they had to have something there in theme, or at least something to pay tribute to all the amusement parks Walt was trying to avoid re-creating...
      Without diving head first into this debate I will say that by the time Walt experienced the Pike it had #1 gone through a Depression and #2 was well past it's "Golden Age". In fact in the 1950's it was rebuilt and reintroduced as the Nu Pike... which is also on the carousel... but by the 1970's it was completely gone!

Honestly though it was unsafe, and dirty... but as many will testify LOADS of FUN. It really makes me wish I was alive when it was around.

sigpic

Comment

DCA for me isn't really California. It'll remind me of things, but it's not the same California that I know and love.

Comment

Originally posted by Light Mouse View Post
          DCA for me isn't really California. It'll remind me of things, but it's not the same California that I know and love.
          I am not 100% but I believe it also has Coney listed among other Boardwalks... so I believe it is a testament to Boardwalks in general and not just CA. Again not 100% I would have to look next time I am out there.

sigpic

Comment

Long Beach native, eh?

Go JACKRABBITS!!!

Long Beach Poly - A Long Beach Original, since 1895
            *People JUDGE me too quickly...

Comment

I hadn't noticed that sign on there before. There are some great shots of the different versions that Long Beach went through (Rainbow Pier...) on the walls of the Togo's on Bellflower Blvd. between Spring St. and the 405, showing the glory days.
              sigpic

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
              Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

Comment

There is a Ruby's off PCH and I think 2nd st... by Trader Joes down at Marina Pacifica... anyhow there are huge blown up photos of the history of Long Beach, including the Pike and Rainbow Pier!

sigpic

Comment

Yeah they have a lot of those signs on King Triton's Carousel.
                  -Jack :geek:
                  Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

DCA needed more than a sign to revive the wonderful Parks of the pier around California. Unfortunately, Paradise Pier was only built to be eye-candy for the Disney Hotel right at its edge.

The actual experience of Paradise Pier is rather disappointing, and not even remotely like a Disney park. I hope the current renovation will help that, but the designers have to work around Screamin' and the water, so they have many limitations.
                    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Just wanted to take a moment to correct myself. I checked on my last visit. All the signs are of California Boardwalks... most of them gone.

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X