Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metallic helium-filled balloons to be banned..Disneyland effected??

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Metallic helium-filled balloons to be banned..Disneyland effected??

Just heard on the news that by 2010, all matallic helium-filled balloons will be banned in California. State power agencies complained power outages caused by the balloons which get away is costing millions in repair expenses.

I am guessing this will include all the character balloons Disneyland sells? I've actually never paid attention if those balloons are the matallic ones or plastic. The fine for those selling the balloons after 2010 is $100. Just thought I'd mention this. Could be interesting to see what Disneyland does..

Re: Matallic helium-filled balloons to be banned..Disneyland effected??

Interesting! I had no idea they caused such problems.

Foil balloons are all over the parks so i'm sure DL will be affected.
    Bummer. They are cute and make little kids pretty happy.
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Comment

They will either stop using them, or use Mylar for the shaped balloons but not the sputtered aluminum metallization coating on the film - they make that style now for balloons with clear see-through parts. Problem is some printing inks are conductive enough to cause a flash-over on high tension lines even without the aluminum layer.

Or... Disney will spread some serious money around to re-election funds in the CA Legislature or the US Congress and US Senate, and get an exemption written into the law for theme parks. They've been doing that every 10 years or so when Mickey Mouse is due to come out of Copyright protection, and so far it's worked...

--<< Bruce >>--
      There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

only balloons that will be left are the rubber mickey shaped ones or the clear orbs with the Mickey balloon n the center
        My Art site
        http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/

Comment

Wow,that stinks. But I always thought that they were clear balloons at disneyland. But im not really sure either as I never pay attention to them also lol

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

Comment

Originally posted by Destination View Post
            Wow,that stinks. But I always thought that they were clear balloons at disneyland. But im not really sure either as I never pay attention to them also lol
            Disneyland does sell those clear round balloons with the colored Mickey ears balloon inside them. But all the others, which are the character heads and lately a princess castle or Pirates of the Caribbean ones are the mylar kind, which look to be banned in 2 years.

Comment

I am so tired of the government trying to regulate just about everything we do.
              DisneyTwins
              Since May 2003

Comment

The mylar balloons are definitely more popular, with a wider variety of shapes, than the latex balloons. Not to mention that the Mylar balloons with helium stay afloat for weeks, if not months. When mylar baloons are done, they can still be a nice souvenier, and can be stored flat. So to hear that CA legistlature is considering this, is unfortunate, and really doesn't reflect well on those in the legistlature who think an outright ban is the only way to go with this.

I'm sure party stores are not to happy about this proposed ban, either. Think of how much money they will lose.

Now, DL really does take precautions in the balloons that they sell, by placing a weight on these balloons. As long as DL takes precautions, they really shouldn't be placing a ban on these.

This also reminds me of the recent Minnie latex balloons I've seen with the HUGE warning label:

Another obnoxious warning, that detracts from the balloon, itself.
                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Re: Metallic helium-filled balloons to be banned..Disneyland effected??

I understand both sides.Here is a link to one of many articles with the explanation.If balloons are really the cause of 1 in 8 outages I get it.Especially with anything that affects energy these days.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354117,00.html

Comment

wow! this is crazy! very interesting....I better get one on my next trip! lol!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
                    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

Comment

THIS IS GREAT!! that means Disney can build the red trolleys in DCA without worrying about those balloons.

Comment

This news stinks.
                        I never buy balloons in the park since I can't bring one back on the plane and they are sort of distracting on long car drives too. However if they are to be banned, I may consider getting one on my next trip...just to keep as a souvenier that will retire.

Even though I had never gotten them before...I sure do enjoy seeing them around the park, carried by the children who love them so much. Heck, even when I see them tied to a stroller and they keep hitting me in the face as I walk through Adventureland...I even like them then too. It will be a shame to see them go.
                        http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
                        Always looking for new Disney friends.

Comment

Makes sense to me.

Maybe someone will come up w/one that has the same look but isn't harmful.
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Not to be a nit-picker, but the question should end with "affected" not "effected."

And of course if the balloons are banned Disneyland will have to stop selling them... they are not above the law.

This is a good idea actually. They are such a temporary thing and do have a lot of negative impact; all of which are the result of the inevitable letting go.

As far as "the government regulating everything we do" I would hardly cite this as a government overreach. The government is tasked will protecting the common good, the ban is in accordance with that. But lets not get my political scientist started...
                            Yo ho!

Comment

Well than I am glad I took this pic before 2010. Granted the pic was taken at WDW...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X