Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this too much?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this too much?

    I'm kind of considering a trip to CA this summer. With the opening of the Disney Family Museum in SF, my wife and I were thinking about flying into SF, renting a car staying about two days and then driving to Anaheim and taking in DL. We would have about eight days for the trip. My question is, is that too much to do on one trip? I know the drive south would take a full day. Opinions? Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Is this too much?

    Doesn't the museum open tomorrow Friday October 2nd? Cutting that one close aren't ya? Anyways. From SF to Anaheim is only 6 hrs if you don't get caught up in traffic. I'm leaving today in the early afternoon for Disneyland. In my experience if you were to leave @ 6am or earlier you can be in Anaheim by lunchtime if not earlier. Still would have a great part of your day to spend at the park for that day. Doing the same thing on the return trip you can be back in the Bay Area fairly early. Once your out on highway 5 it's a bunch of nothing and a clear ride. If you are leaving on a wknd going down I would leave early and if your coming back on a wknd I would leave no later than noon to be back in Bay Area by 6pm. If it's during the week coming back, I would wait to leave until after commute hour in L.A. or leave early enough to beat it.
    sigpic


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is this too much?

      Originally posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
      Doesn't the museum open tomorrow Friday October 2nd? Cutting that one close aren't ya? Anyways. From SF to Anaheim is only 6 hrs if you don't get caught up in traffic. I'm leaving today in the early afternoon for Disneyland. In my experience if you were to leave @ 6am or earlier you can be in Anaheim by lunchtime if not earlier. Still would have a great part of your day to spend at the park for that day. Doing the same thing on the return trip you can be back in the Bay Area fairly early. Once your out on highway 5 it's a bunch of nothing and a clear ride. If you are leaving on a wknd going down I would leave early and if your coming back on a wknd I would leave no later than noon to be back in Bay Area by 6pm. If it's during the week coming back, I would wait to leave until after commute hour in L.A. or leave early enough to beat it.
      Ha! By "this summer" I actually meant "this upcoming summer" (as in about 8 months). I'd love to get there sooner, but with this darn job thing....
      Anyway, that's great info and very encouraging! I've been to the Bay Area and Anaheim several times, but somehow have never made the drive between the two. Thanks for the tips!
      By the way, have a great trip!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is this too much?

        Originally posted by stu29573 View Post
        Ha! By "this summer" I actually meant "this upcoming summer" (as in about 8 months). I'd love to get there sooner, but with this darn job thing....
        Anyway, that's great info and very encouraging! I've been to the Bay Area and Anaheim several times, but somehow have never made the drive between the two. Thanks for the tips!
        By the way, have a great trip!
        Well, if that's the case, then you should check out Yosemite or the other wonderful national parks on the way down, then check out the coast on the way back.
        Then, it would be too much!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is this too much?

          Originally posted by sediment View Post
          Well, if that's the case, then you should check out Yosemite or the other wonderful national parks on the way down, then check out the coast on the way back.
          Then, it would be too much!
          Yep, that's probably a bit ambitious for 8 days!)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is this too much?

            Stu:

            Whether it is too much or not depends on how you like to travel. By going down the 5 freeway at the right time of day, you can make it from SF to Anaheim in no more than 6-7 hours. However, if you leave at the wrong time (morning traffic in SF) and arrive at the wrong time (afternoon traffic in LA) it could take you 12 hours or more.

            Or, if you want to take a leisurely drive down Highway 1, that is a full days drive (or more). So it really depends on your particular travel habits.

            For most people, depending on where they live and how often they get out here to California, I would think that this is not too much in one trip. When we travel to Orlando, it is amazing how much we can pack into a 5 or 7 day trip to the parks there, just by planning everything out ahead of time. But then again, we have friends who just LOVE the planning and organizing of trips, so they are PERFECT people to travel with.

            Either way, good luck!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is this too much?

              Originally posted by h2opolodad View Post
              Stu:

              Whether it is too much or not depends on how you like to travel. By going down the 5 freeway at the right time of day, you can make it from SF to Anaheim in no more than 6-7 hours. However, if you leave at the wrong time (morning traffic in SF) and arrive at the wrong time (afternoon traffic in LA) it could take you 12 hours or more.

              Or, if you want to take a leisurely drive down Highway 1, that is a full days drive (or more). So it really depends on your particular travel habits.

              For most people, depending on where they live and how often they get out here to California, I would think that this is not too much in one trip. When we travel to Orlando, it is amazing how much we can pack into a 5 or 7 day trip to the parks there, just by planning everything out ahead of time. But then again, we have friends who just LOVE the planning and organizing of trips, so they are PERFECT people to travel with.

              Either way, good luck!
              Thanks! I think we'll go for it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is this too much?

                Originally posted by stu29573 View Post
                Thanks! I think we'll go for it!

                The trip down 5 isn't worth it... if you want to drive, take Hwy 1... but it will take a LOT more time... 5 is great if you like views of cows... that's about it.

                Personally I'd book a flight on Southwest... they usually run about $50 from the bay area to SNA or LAX. I live outside Sacramento, and really I can never seem to justify driving down to Disneyland anymore when I always seem to find $50 airline tickets.... basically cheaper than the gas. And if you want a nice drive... fly down there and drive the coast between LA and San Diego... really nice!... just skip the central valley, it's setup for moving items between the cities, and not for a view.

                BUT I do like driving Hwy 1... but it's not a freeway, and a large portion of it runs at about 30MPH...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is this too much?

                  Originally posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
                  ...
                  Personally I'd book a flight on Southwest... they usually run about $50 from the bay area to SNA or LAX. I live outside Sacramento, and really I can never seem to justify driving down to Disneyland anymore when I always seem to find $50 airline tickets...

                  Awesome suggestion. That is what I would do.

                  I would also probably hit the Charles Schultz museum too. It's about an hour from the Walt Disney one (I think.)

                  I would spend 2 days in Northern California and then head to LA and Orange County for the other 6 days. That doesn't sound like too much at all.
                  sigpic
                  Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

                  Comment

                  Get Away Today Footer

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X