Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to help me plan some parts of this CHEAP trip?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Anyone want to help me plan some parts of this CHEAP trip?

What's up guys!
    I'm a high school student here in Seattle, WA that just bought an AP. My mother works for Alaska Airlines so I fly to and from Anaheim for free. I work at a grocery store part time.

So there's my background info that you'll need to know.

Here's the pitch.
    I'll be making many trips to DLR throughout the year I have with my AP. I will be visiting with my GF and my other pals in different intervals. Some of my pals will be old enough to grab a hotel room.
    I need your guys' wisdom is helping me plan the cheapest possible route in visiting the park for a 1.) Fly in at 8:30A in John Wayne 2.) Go to DLR til it closes 3.) Sleep 4.) Go home at 6A next morning (or stay another night)

Cliffnotes: Help me find the cheapest way to/from the hotel, the cheapest hotel ideas, and other tips and tricks for the most frugal experience outside of the DLR.

Thanks

Re: Anyone want to help me plan some parts of this CHEAP trip?

Interesting challenge.
    1. I suggest leaving on the last flight of the second night, not the first flight of the morning. Pack up, leave baggage at hotel, go to DL, pick up baggage, go to airport.
    2. Taxi is cheapest for four people. Split the bill.
    3. Look for cheap hotel deals in walking distance to DL. Plan your trips around them, as they are the major variable, both in price and availability. Priceline might be your best option.
    4. Cheap non-DL experience? Get on an OCTA bus and go to the beach. I suggest Southbound Bus Routes 29 (Beach Blvd) 33 Magnolia Blvd) or 35 Brookhurst Blvd), after traveling west on Katella's Bus Route 50.
    5. Plenty of fast-food options off-property. Eat a breakfast before going to DL, eat a dinner after leaving DL. Subway nearby with some healthy options.

Comment

Sediment,
      True words spoken from experience it seems.
      Great advice! A couple things though (if it matter now)

1.) It most likely will never be all four of us. It'll be either me and my girlfriend or my budd(ies) and me. Dunno if that factors into your advice, probably doesn't.
      2.) When I said off non-DL experience I meant just help with the tranpo and lodging lol

But everything is great and will definitely be employed in my next visit.
      I'm still open for more

Comment

OK.
        I have no experience, other than reading this forum for the past five years.
        Simple math will show you that it will cost more with fewer people. I figured you're trying to go bare bones regardless of the number. Taxi is about $20 (someone with real experience can provide the current cost), so instead of $5 per it's $10 per.
        Hotel: I still recommend Priceline. I have no experience with it, but there is a thread in the hotel forum about it.
        http://micechat.com/forums/so-cal-ho...e-anaheim.html
        You ask your friends when they can go, you go to priceline with a price for those dates.
        How are your friends and gf paying for airfare? They don't have it as easy as you there.

Comment

Taxis are really expensive around California because nobody really uses them. For example, a taxi ride from LAX to Redondo Beach--about 5 miles--costs around $30. A drive from John Wayne to Disneyland is about 14 miles. There are "super shuttles" and what not that offer quick delivery with spacious vans, which may be more practical (and are usually cheaper).

In terms of public transportation, there are buses that can take you from John Wayne to the Disneyland shuttle drop-off point... check Google Directions to find the closest route.

Regarding hotels and what not, there are a lot of quick, cheap, no frills hotels around Anaheim that are purely meant for staying the night in--ie, there are no pools, spas, etc. I've found that these are great for short-term stays.

Good luck, and have fun!
          "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Comment

Bus from John Wayne:
            Bus Route 76 north/west to Harbor Blvd. First bus at 5:14AM, 45 minutes to an hour frequency.
            Bus Route 43 north to DL.

Last bus in to John Wayne is 10:54PM, transfer at Harbor at 10:31PM, so need to take Route 43's 9:44PM bus out of DL area. Yes, the bus route will take over an hour.

OCTA Map

Edit: need to add this to my seminal work (post #5 in "Mass Transit to DL" thread).

Comment

Candy Cane Inn is on the same block as Disney property. The rates are
              Depending upon season and availability:

Standard Room Rates range from $99 - 139.00
              Deluxe Room Rates range from $109 - 149.00
              Premium Room Rates range from $139 - 189.00.
              The rooms are nice and clean, and have two double beds.

The hotel is close enough to walk, but also provides a free shuttle.
              Also, there is free breakfast in the morning.

Comment

Sediment:
                My mom can provide discount passes for them and my gf's father works for the airlines as well.

Thank you all for the great info. Definitely didn't think about taking the bus. Thanks!!!!

Comment

The Candy Cane is nice but I've gotten a room within .5 miles of the park for as little as $40 a night. I use Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Travel Deals - KAYAK - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once to check prices, but many people swear by Priceline. I just like to have more control on where I stay.

I've stayed at the Anaheim Plaza, which is across the street from the Candy Cane and its not bad. Basic but the rooms are a good size. I've stayed at the Quality Inn on Manchester. Its close to the freeway so you'll get some noise, but they have a pretty nice continental breakfast with waffles and is generally less expensive than anywhere else. Its about a 10-15 minute walk to the park. I've stayed at the Candy Cane and while its nice and the shuttle is handy, its more money than I'm willing to pay and the breakfast is standard cold cereal, bagels and donuts with juice, milk and coffee.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                  all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Thanks Penguin

This might be a long shot but does anyone know of any hotels that allow 17 year olds to check in?

Comment

Anaheim plaza hotel!! closest to the park, best rates, decent rooms
                      ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

:ap: Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by Rise View Post
                        Thanks Penguin

This might be a long shot but does anyone know of any hotels that allow 17 year olds to check in?
                        No, most if not all, require someone 18 or over to check-in (some places and travel sites it's 21 and over)...

Comment

Sediment:
                          My mom can provide discount passes for them and my gf's father works for the airlines as well.

Thank you all for the great info. Definitely didn't think about taking the bus. Thanks!!!!
                          You're welcome.
                          I don't think the bus is all that efficient. Cab will be more flexible and faster.

Comment

LA Metro 460 bus Picks up at the Harbor Boulevard entrance to DLR

To Knotts Berry Farm

LA Metro 460 bus get off at the Knotts Berry Farm Stop

To Universal Studios

LA Metro 460 bus to 7th Street Metro Station Transfer to Red line to North Hollywood get of at Universal City

To Six Flags Magic Mountain.

LA Metro 460 to 7th Street Metro. Transfer to the Red Line To North Hollywood. Get off at North Hollywood and transfer to the Santa Clarita Transit 757 bus to McBean Transfer Center. At McBean Transfer Center transfer to the 3 or 7 Bus to Six Flags.

You could also Take the Metrolink from Anaheim to LA Union Station then transfer to the Redline to save time. But this way is more expensive.
                            Last edited by Ryan120420; 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM.
                            For Disney Theme Park Video Click Here!

Comment

They all should, but there will be serious hoops to jump through ahead of time, and not all of the managers are willing to jump through them - it's a whole lot easier for them to just say NO and be done with it.

And the Corporate people that own the hotel will insist on it, they don't want to get sued. Cover Your Tuchis.

Don't set them up to say NO reflexively, ask them what you need to do so they can say Yes. You have to go straight to the General Manager of the hotel (the one person there who has the power to say Yes and make it stick) and want to make them comfortable working with you to remove the roadblocks. Might even have to bring the Parents down with you the first trip to establish a working relationship, and then the General Manager can say he personally knows them.

And you'll probably get a good rate if you are reliable return business and tell your friends. Join the hotel's "Rewards Card" program and work it.

They will need to have a signed agreement or contract of some sort between you, your parents (who have to sign for you till you are deemed of majority) and the Hotel who will be acting In Loco Parentis for that period. They are accepting responsibility for the bills if you don't have the cash on hand ("Credit Card on file"), and any damages or extra charges incurred, yatta yatta.

You would also need to have a Medical Release on file and a copy of your health insurance card/paperwork, so if they should find you face-down in the pool they can call an ambulance and know they won't get stuck with the bill.

And there might be other stuff to get around local laws on unaccompanied minors at a Hotel or Hostel or lodge - there are almost always ways around those regulations, but they usually involve dotting a lot of i's and crossing a lot of t's.

They mail your folks a stack of blank forms, they get them filled out and signed (and in a few cases probably Notarized), make copies of their credit cards and the insurance cards, and mail them back - Done.

Might have to send an updated copy of certain forms like the medical release down before each trip with the dates revised - "You have durable power of XXX from 7/16 to 7/19/2010"

And call Disneyland too - there might be certain forms they'd prefer you to have on file there (and/or in your wallet) just in case something happens to you while you are on property without a legal guardian present. There's a lot of fine print on the AP Paperwork that covers stuff like this.

Oh, and learn the art of Packing Light, and you can take the city bus to and from. A large backpack and one duffel bag or roller overnight bag, no problem.

--<< Bruce >>--
                              Last edited by Bruce Bergman; 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: Add Para: Don't set them up to say NO, ask what you need to do so they can say Yes.
                              There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X