Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

25 fun things cheaper than Disneyland...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] 25 fun things cheaper than Disneyland...

Hello.

I found this article in the OC Register just now. As most of us know by now admission prices have been raised yet again, so this article was just published suggesting fun things to do in the local area that is cheaper than Disneyland.

25 fun things cheaper than Disneyland - OC Deals : The Orange County Register

So if Disneyland is burning a hole in the pocket book, feel free to reference back to this for a cheaper alternative!

Re: 25 fun things cheaper than Disneyland...

I couldn't see myself doing most of these things. I think I'd just take Disneyland any day. I would go to Knott's, but I usually just go once a summer so I wouldn't need a pass.

Comment

i knew you would come up with that dip lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
        i knew you would come up with that dip lol.
        I didn't come up with it. Maria Fisher from the OC Register did.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
          I didn't come up with it. Maria Fisher from the OC Register did.

lol sorry about dip. interesting article though.

Comment

I could probably see myself going to Sea World. I don't mind it and I like the attractions and the shows there. If truth be told, I could probably see myself doing a lot of those things if Disney was too expensive for me.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

the beach is a great alternative as well and its free. although the parking price is cheap lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                the beach is a great alternative as well and its free. although the parking price is cheap lol.
                That would be nice, but I would get tired too early from being out too long.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

not me, its my personal get away from reality.

Comment

I read some of the travel forums regularly, and Disneyland is one of the most expensive things vacationers can do, in terms of cost per day. The real bargains are beaches, mountains, deserts and parks - any publicly-owned land. This can make a huge difference to a family planning a vacation. Should they spend 4 days at Disneyland/DCA, for 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 that would would be a grand total of $736 for admission... or should they go to Yosemite National Park instead, where the grand total for the family would be $20? Or Yellowstone/Grand Teton: grand total $25. Or all National Parks for $80 for a year - and that's for the whole car, not per person? This is something that families are really considering now, when planning vacations in the current economic conditions.

Comment

I don't know what they are talking about regarding the fair, but it's WAY more expensive than Disneyland. Getting into the gate is the least amount of cost.

Comment

Not in Orange Country but the number one family vacation destination in the United States is also a LOT cheaper than Disney......

What's New in Wisconsin Dells

For a family of 4 to stay at a Disney Resort Hotel for two nights plus theme park tickets......it's going to cost somewhere around $1,000+.

That same family can stay at Mt. Olympus Theme Park incld. admission in Wisconsin Dells for about $400.

Now is Disneyland better than Wisconsin Dells....not according to TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards?

Is Disneyland better than Mt. Olympus Theme Park at the Dells? Perhaps.......but is Disneyland 2.5 times better than Mt. Olympus Theme Park? I kinda doubt it.

Totally anecdotal, but if the size of the smiles on the faces of my brothers family can be any indicator, then the Dells are vastly superior to todays Disneyland.

I am still a Disney freak, but the idea of paying less and coming home with a bigger smile does intrigue me
                        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                          I don't know what they are talking about regarding the fair, but it's WAY more expensive than Disneyland. Getting into the gate is the least amount of cost.
                          I went to the OC Fair last year thinking it was going to be an inexpensive activity for the weekend. Boy was I wrong. The first problem is taking children. If I go with adults, we are usually happy with the exhibits and displays. But with kids it's a totally different story -- after paying for food, there's also rides and games which all add up. Not including admission, I think we wound up paying at least $60 -$70!

Comment

too bad Disneyland APs arent the same price as knotts!!!
                            ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

:ap: Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings :ap:

Comment

Crossposting this from the main price increase thread:

1-day ticket to the Walt Disney Family Museum: $20

1-year "AP" (Individual membership) to WDFM: $75

Special movie screening at WDFM: $7

Enjoying an authentic Disney experience w/o in your face marketing or being called a "foamer" behind your back: priceless
                              Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                              Charter Member

Comment

We have nothing to do where I'm from. The Adventure Dome is nothing compared to Disneyland. I do however love Sam's Town. You can see a movie and have a meal there cheaper than just one lunch for your entire party at Disneyland. Not trying to advertise, just saying what I like.

The reason why do people pay to go to Disneyland is because people enjoy it. Do they get upset with the prices? Yes, they do. Does it stop them from going? If people really want to go to Disneyland, they'll pay to go.
                                YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
                                -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
                                -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
                                -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
                                -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
                                -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
                                -SorcererHero5571

Comment

^^
                                  Exactly.I'ts dissapointing that prices are raised but if people want to go to the DLR then they will pay to go to the DLR.

Comment

PREMIUM annual/sason passes for the following are...

Knott's Berry Farm / Soak City Water Park = $160 (season pass)
                                    Six Flags Magic Mountain = $125 (season pass)
                                    Six Flags Hurricane Harbor = $100 (season pass)
                                    Six Flags MM/HH combo pass w/$50 parking pass added = $139 (season pass)
                                    Universal Studios Hollywood = $129
                                    Sea World San Diego = $259 (24 month premium pass)
                                    Raging Waters in San Dimas ($64.99 + $55.00 parking pass) = $114.99
                                    Disneyland = $459

Many of these other parks extend 15%-25% discounts with no minimum purchase required. They offer discounted tickets to friends (Universal), or even free tickets for friends (Raging Waters, Magic Mountain, Hurricane Harbor), and even preferential treatment (front of the line for the tram at Universal). Six Flags has a "Funatics" rewards program where you are emailed a different reward every time your season pass is used. I went last weekend and when I got home, a "front of the line pass" had been emailed to me! My fourth use gets me ANOTHER free friend ticket (aside from the ones given to me in the coupon books when I purchased the pass). SFMM/HH gives seperate coupon books loaded with discounts off friend admissions, pass purchases, free friend coupons, and buy-one-get-one-free coupons for the carnival games, go carts, and SkyDiver attractions.

The more I get from the other parks, the more I notice that Disneyland is offering less and less while the prices continue to skyrocket. No discounts for friends. 15% discount when you purchase $10.00 or more etc. It seems that the only perks left to passholders is advance notification of special merchandise opportunities. "Be the first to know when we have something to sell to you. And don't forget, because you're so special to us, you get a 10-15% discount on your purchase".

Maybe Disneyland is a "premium " experience. I understand that. But, compared with similar businesses in the theme park industry, Disneyland's prices are insanely high. $101 for a one-day park hopper on top of the $15.00 you just paid to park??? That's $116.00 for a non-passholder before he/she has even walked under the plaque saying that he/she is now entering a world of fantasy. Too bad they beat you over the head with "reality" by mugging you at the ticket booth. It just makes the $2.75 churro, $9.75 cheesburger/fries (minus soda), $12.00 balloon, $20.00 Ear Hat (plus $3.00 for stitched name), and $13.00 picnic box (for guaranteed WoC seating) look all the more greedy.

A $700 pass is available at DL that includes WDW. The Knott's pass as well as the Six Flags passes already include admission to all the parks in their respective "families" and the passes are still reasonably priced. I just can't justify paying Disney so much money anymore. I may not be getting Disney quality at the other parks (although some come close - free coffee/cocoa on rainy days at Universal plus a "raincheck ticket" to come back free when the weather is more cooperative). To hear about Disney wrestling with guests as they begged for some sort of refund when WoC was cancelled recently really rubbed me the wrong way. They pay their employees squat, charge the guests up the wazoo, and refuse to refund when something goes wrong (that's just good business practice) makes me feel that Scrooge McDuck is at the helm. I think that Main Street's "city council" is taking a lesson from the city council of Bell and pocketing tons of money while they toss out pennies to those who actually do the work. I don't see such overt greed from the other parks so I will take my business there. I'm breaking free from the cult who mindlessly pony up whatever Disney demands with very little reward (other than a beautiful park) in favor of a theme park that actually makes an effort to earn my money rather than just expecting it. I am gioing to Magic Mountain in 2 weeks with 3 friends and it's STILL not going to cost as much as one day at Disneyland for one person. My pass will cover me and I will use 3 coupons on my friends - one is a freebie while the other two coupons are for $24.99 MM admission, or $50.00 for 4 people! See you later Disney, but my wallet has to heal and, if you haven't heard, there's a recession going on out here in realityland. So, while Disneyland inches closer to being a "country club" where only the wealthy may enter, I will happily mingle with the "rabble" and have just as much fun elsewhere. I hate to go but I just can't afford to stay.
                                    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM.
                                    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Comment

pirates dinner? $30 each?! liiiesss!!! it was $50 when i went 3 years ago! and it was not worth it! i would rather go to medieval times!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazee4mm View Post
                                        They pay their employees squat, charge the guests up the wazoo, and refuse to refund when something goes wrong (that's just good business practice) makes me feel that Scrooge McDuck is at the helm. I think that Main Street's "city council" is taking a lesson from the city council of Bell and pocketing tons of money while they toss out pennies to those who actually do the work.
                                        Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and their combined $38 million compensation packages don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. :whistling

Originally posted by Crazee4mm View Post
                                        I don't see such overt greed from the other parks so I will take my business there.
                                        We whose lives are Disney-Free salute you! :thumbup:

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

Comment

Working...
                                        X