Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

    My sister and I (18 and 20 years old) are planning a trip to Disneyland in October. We are on a budget, both being broke college students, and I a starving artist. I have done a ton of research on hotels near DLR, and we have narrowed it down between a few, 2 of which being the Super 8's. My question is, which is better? Super 8 Anaheim Disneyland Drive, or Super 8 Motel at the Park/ Convention Center...?

    Here are our basic requests, if you recommend something else:
    - Either walking distance (1-2 blocks, preferably) or free transportation
    - Free breakfast (trying to save money)
    - Safe location/area (2 teenage girls by themselves...)
    - Inexpensive (no more than $50 a night in Oct)
    - Minimum check in age is 18 (this seems to be giving us the most trouble.)

    Thank you so, so much for any and all help and advice!!!

  • #2
    Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

    ...anyone?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

      The convention center location is about half as far as the Disneyland Way location.
      Also, there is more foot traffic in this direction, plus restaurants and 7-11 (for your morning coffee) are closer.

      If you're not from the area, what you don't know about the Disneyland way location is that you have to walk all the way around from the back of Disneyland to get into the park. There is no really good short cut. Phew, I'm tired thinking about it.
      Go Convention location!!!
      Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



      Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
      Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

        I've stayed at the Super 8 on Katella. Very basic hotel, but good location. Close to Gardenwalk, which is nice if you plan to eat there.

        The free breakfast is very basic, but it does the trick.

        Which website are you using to book? For a comparable price, you could roll the dice on Priceline or Hotwite and likely get a better hotel for the same price.
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

          You may want to call and double check if you can get a room. Most of the hotel's won't let have a room if you are under 21.
          Originally posted by migo
          I poop with joy!
          Best Quote...EVER!!!


          Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

            Also: what do you guys think of the Americas Best Value Astoria Inn and Suites on Ball Road?

            Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
            Which website are you using to book? For a comparable price, you could roll the dice on Priceline or Hotwite and likely get a better hotel for the same price.
            We've looked on various different websites. This is the first time we'll be going without a parent, and we LOVE using the Priceline name your own price, normally... but sadly you must be 21 to do so, since some hotels have that minimum age requirement.

            Originally posted by AlohaStitch View Post
            You may want to call and double check if you can get a room. Most of the hotel's won't let have a room if you are under 21.
            We've been calling around. These are both 18, but one of them has told us two different things, so I'm going to double check anyway.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

              Originally posted by ElleWoods19 View Post
              Also: what do you guys think of the Americas Best Value Astoria Inn and Suites on Ball Road?
              Speaking of Best Values, have you considered the BV Fantasy Inn, right next to the Super 8? I used to stay there a lot when I was a poor college student.
              Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
              Charter Member

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                Speaking of Best Values, have you considered the BV Fantasy Inn, right next to the Super 8? I used to stay there a lot when I was a poor college student.
                We have, but the reviews aren't as good. :blush:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                  I've stayed at the Super 8 on Katella, and we got a rate of $46 last September 23rd. It's bare-bones, but perfectly adequate for a place to sleep and take a shower. There is a pool and jacuzzi which are just fine. The breakfast was a disappointment, it's just 2 kinds of cold cereal (they pour the milk on it for you), coffee and some very cheapo doughnuts. I think there was a toaster you could make toast. Possibly some cheapo orange juice but nothing more. It's better than nothing, but seemed rather stingy. Fortunately there are many places to eat nearby, including the Gardenwalk as mentioned, also on your way to the park there is a Subway on the corner of Harbor and Katella, and they have breakfast sandwiches, and across the street there is a 7-11 where you can pick up snacks and coffee, iced coffee, etc. From the Super 8 to the park entrance is about a 20-minute walk, very easy for college-age people. The people who work at the Super 8 were all very professional and courteous.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                    Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                    I've stayed at the Super 8 on Katella, and we got a rate of $46 last September 23rd. It's bare-bones, but perfectly adequate for a place to sleep and take a shower. There is a pool and jacuzzi which are just fine. The breakfast was a disappointment, it's just 2 kinds of cold cereal (they pour the milk on it for you), coffee and some very cheapo doughnuts. I think there was a toaster you could make toast. Possibly some cheapo orange juice but nothing more. It's better than nothing, but seemed rather stingy. Fortunately there are many places to eat nearby, including the Gardenwalk as mentioned, also on your way to the park there is a Subway on the corner of Harbor and Katella, and they have breakfast sandwiches, and across the street there is a 7-11 where you can pick up snacks and coffee, iced coffee, etc. From the Super 8 to the park entrance is about a 20-minute walk, very easy for college-age people. The people who work at the Super 8 were all very professional and courteous.
                    Thank you so, so much for this extremely helpful input! I really appreciate the details.
                    Do you feel that it was safe enough for 2 young ladies to be by themselves? We google mapped it (street view rocks!), and it seemed to be a good area, but I'd rather know from your first hand experience.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                      Katella area is safe enough. I would stay off Ball, even though its close, its just far enough away to be a hassle, and there are more restaurants over by Katella.
                      Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



                      Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                      Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                        Yes, I felt it was a safe area, there are plenty of people around, conventioneers and tourists on their way to/from the park. I never felt like I was in a "rough part of town" or anything. Since Harbor and Katella are such busy streets, crossing at the intersection seemed like the only point of danger. There are stoplights and crosswalks, and the traffic does stop and wait for you, but still I think it would be better if they put in pedestrian overcrossings similar to those on the Las Vegas Strip.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                          Awesome, thanks so much you guys!!! We'll go ahead and book that Super 8 then.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Super 8's: Disneyland Dr vs Motel at the Park?

                            We stayed at the Super 8 on Katella last year. Not a bad place at all. We enjoyed being close to the Garden Walk and walked over to Bubba Gumps for dinner one night. I'll be at DL next month and will be staying there again.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X