X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi to Universal? How much

Hi all,

We are a family of 5 that will visit DL in May for the first time with kids! I have a few questions on transportation to Universal Studios and Medieval or Pirates dinner. Departure would be from Anaheim. Going by Grey line bus would be $85 ($17 each). I am wondering if anyone could provide approx. taxi fares from Anaheim to each of these places. Thank you. Also, would it be easy to use the regular transit bus to go to Universal STudio?

Re: Taxi to Universal? How much

No idea about taxi. To uni, might be $100 each way. Might be better off hiring a limosine (generic term not necessarily meaning a stretch limo). You'd have to hire two limo's: one to get there, one to return.
    Medieval and Pirates are close by, comparetively. $20-30?

Two other choices:
    1. Rent a car. Bunch your non-Disney side trips into two or three days. Or, rent for the week. Should be a lot cheaper and way more flexible for you. Downside is you get to go through L.A. traffic. Go Saturday or Sunday early morning (before 8AM). The ride home before, say, 10PM could be rough.
    2. Take Amtrak or Metrolink from Anaheim to Union Station, then Metro Red Line to Universal. Metrolink is 16.50 each (r/t), and Red Line will be $3.00 r/t. This is more flexible than Grey Line Bus, which might be one or two departure times at each stop. 51 minutes on Metrolink, then 35 minutes on Metro Red Line. With kids in tow, this seems a bit too much to handle.

Note: Amtrak (8:30PM and 10:10PM) leaves Union Station a lot later than the last Metrolink train (6:30PM), which is more of a locals' commuter line.

Comment

OK, alternative #3:
      1. Get a taxi to Norwalk Green Line Station. 16 miles, 18 minutes, or 30 minutes in traffic.
      2. Get an all-day Metro pass for each in your party. $6 each.
      3. Get on Green Line (west, the only way).
      4. Get off at Willowbrook. 12 minutes
      5. Get on Blue Line North.
      6. Get off at 7th Street Metro Station (last stop). 25 minutes.
      7. Get on Red Line West toward North Hollywood.
      8. Get off at Uni. 24 minutes.

Seems about the same amount of time. Good news is that these trains run frequently, from 10 minutes to 20 minutes.

Comment

Taxi's are not cheap, an It would definitely be cheaper to rent a car. I used to take a taxi to work, it ran me about 20 dollars to go 8 miles, each way. Universal is about 40 miles from Anaheim.

Comment

They offer a free shuttle from select Anaheim hotels to USH. Go to Universal's Website > Visitor Info > Transportation. Why pay for transportation if you don't have to?

Although you may still need a taxi for the other destinations (Medieval/Pirates), but they're much closer by. As others have noted, USH is at least 45 minutes away, and maybe even longer in the typical LA traffic.
          Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
            No idea about taxi. To uni, might be $100 each way. Might be better off hiring a limosine (generic term not necessarily meaning a stretch limo). You'd have to hire two limo's: one to get there, one to return.
            Medieval and Pirates are close by, comparetively. $20-30?

Two other choices:
            1. Rent a car. Bunch your non-Disney side trips into two or three days. Or, rent for the week. Should be a lot cheaper and way more flexible for you. Downside is you get to go through L.A. traffic. Go Saturday or Sunday early morning (before 8AM). The ride home before, say, 10PM could be rough.
            2. Take Amtrak or Metrolink from Anaheim to Union Station, then Metro Red Line to Universal. Metrolink is 16.50 each (r/t), and Red Line will be $3.00 r/t. This is more flexible than Grey Line Bus, which might be one or two departure times at each stop. 51 minutes on Metrolink, then 35 minutes on Metro Red Line. With kids in tow, this seems a bit too much to handle.

Note: Amtrak (8:30PM and 10:10PM) leaves Union Station a lot later than the last Metrolink train (6:30PM), which is more of a locals' commuter line.
            This

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
            They offer a free shuttle from select Anaheim hotels to USH. Go to Universal's Website > Visitor Info > Transportation. Why pay for transportation if you don't have to?

Although you may still need a taxi for the other destinations (Medieval/Pirates), but they're much closer by. As others have noted, USH is at least 45 minutes away, and maybe even longer in the typical LA traffic.
            And this.

I have found Google maps to be very helpful in arranging for public transportation. My partner uses it a lot for his weekly commutes between Pasadena and Newport Beach. Just put in where he is at and where he wants to go, click on the icon that looks like a train, and it tells him exactly what train to take and at what time. And we find it to be very accurate too.

Comment

I did try the Greyline tour to Universal, (this was several years ago, so it may have changed a little since then) but it was somewhat restrictive. They did drive you, which was nice (except our bus had a rather gassy fuel smell). The driver did point out a couple of the areas en route to Universal, which was nice, if your not familiar with LA. When you arrived, you were told what time to return, so you didn't have the flexibility to stay longer, even if Universal stayed open later or if you wanted to check out City Walk. The return time seemed seemed to shortchange you, as you don't really get to use a full day pass, or stay late to eat or shop.

Even if someone in your group would need to drive, personally, it gives you more freedom. And if Universal closes early on the day you visit, it's just a short drive over to see Grauman's Chinese Theater, or take in a Disney movie at the El Capitan Theater. And by getting a rental car, it also makes it easier to spend part of a day at the beach. And if you have time, you could even plan for a day at Sea World in San Diego, as the Drive is not that far (as long as you avoid rush hour).

Of course it depends on just how many days your are planning for.
              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Thank you for all the great info. Looks like taxi is out lol. My DH and I both do not want to drive as we find it stressful in other cities, especially the freeways etc. We now think we'll just do one trip to San Diego by train, as it's pretty reasonable, I'm just worried about missing the last train! The free shuttle to USH sounds great, I will look into that. As an earlier poster mentioned, San Diego is a trip all in its own, so we'll plan a trip for next year and do everything we missed. Can't wait to surprise the kids!

Thanks again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X