This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLR Hotels Versus Off site Hotels

The last thee times we stayed at the Tropacana and the the Portafino. We have never stayed at one of the DLR properties. Breaking down the three:
    1. The Californian: most of the customer reviews have given it very poor marks, which is a suprise because of how costly it is. Are the reviews wrong and is it worth the stay and expense?
    2. The Disneyland Hotel: I've heard some good marks and some bad ones. I've always wanted to stay there, but since we spend 90% of our time in the parks, and so I haven't yet been able to justify the cost. Should I take a chance and stay there?
    3. Paradise Pier: Being the least expensive of the three, and the farthest away, is the one I am most suprised about, because all of the user reviews. All have given it good marks. The biggest remark is how friendly the staff is. Is it worth the walk or is it better to stay at an off property hotel?
    So the question is which is better a DLR hotel or off site? Please log-in in with your responses and why you prefer either.
    Disneyland Hotel
    21.43%
    Paradise Pier
    17.86%
    The Californian
    25.00%
    Off-site hotels
    35.71%

The poll is expired.

Dave

Re: DLR Hotels Versus Off site Hotels

If you're going to spend the money staying ON the resort property, splurge and stay at the Disneyland Hotel w/ Concierge level room. (Especially if you have kids). This by far is the most magical of the hotels. GCH is indeed nice, and VERY quiet - but not so magical. The PP is nice..rooms are well appointed. The rooms are not very Disney, they are more Beach casual. Nice. But not magical. The PP is not so far of a walk that it should even be whined about. It's maaaaybe an extra 200yds walk than say Disneyland Hotel. GCH is of course smack dab in the center of the action and the shortest walk of all of them. IMHO for the money, Disneyland Hotel is the winner every time. We've stayed so many times now and NEVER been disappointed with the Hotel or its wonderfully cheery staff. The rooma are VERY magical. Great wallpaper in the bathroom, the bathroom hardware, light fixtures, the glow-in-the-dark tinkerbell wallpaper that borders the room...the draperies...the furniture...REALLY. If you're a Disneyland fan and have not stayed at the Disneyland Hotel you are MISSING out. The hotel is full of great disneyana. Lots of displays. You could spend half a day just strolling throughout the grounds and lunching at Steakhouse55 or HOoke's Pointe or Goofy's Kitchen...and the room service...well..top notch is all I can say. The staff is so very intuitively thoughtful. The concierge level runs approx. $125extra a night...but you have free reign to the fridge full of sodas, WATERS, juice, milk...beer and wine from 5-7pm..continental breakfast in the mornings and snacking items the rest of the day. My family of 4 easily gets our $125/day worth o' food n' viewings (the fireworks viewing w/ music piped in..sooo civilized and comfortable!!). Oh, and you get to ride the SUPER special Glass elevator!!!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

I vote off site hotels, especially if you have a car rental.

Of course I always encourage people to stay off-site. Preferably in Newport Beach.

Last summer the Balboa Bay Club had an offer that included the stay, a car rental, two park hoppers, and two box lunches all for $300.00 per night. That is the same price if not a bit less than the same time period at the Grand Californian. And it is on the harbor which is also very nice.

Of course if you don't want to spend $300 there a lots of other options that are affordable which are nice and are off site as well.

Comment

If money is not issue then Disneyland Hotel but otherwise....I have to vote for off property( it allows me to go more often).

Comment

One key about the reviews, people who spend more, expect more.

And alas, Disney really only delivers a name, and not top class service.

Disney won't reserve a specific type of room for you, only take a "request" which might be honored when you arrive, no guarantees.

No tram service, they expect you to walk, and the Paradise Pier Hotel is the same basic distance to the Main Entrance Plaza as the Howard Johnson's and Candy Cane Inn.

No free Breakfast or other meals, many hotels/motels off-site do offer the meals and sometimes even a free happy hour.

But since you can get a 4 star hotel for half the price as a Disney owned hotel, sometimes less, why spend the extra money?
          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigwavedave View Post
            3. Paradise Pier:

Is it worth the walk or is it better to stay at an off property hotel?

It is only a 4 minute, 10 second walk from the rear lobby doors to the Monorail Station entrance. (Yes, I timed it...)

Only you can decide for yourself if it is worth it or not.

As for us, we much prefer to stay "on property".

Comment

We've stayed onsite for the last year or so for each of our trips. Its so much easier in so many ways. We always seem to gravitate back to the DLH even though we've had wonderful stays at GCH. The rooms are larger, although the GCH rooms are plusher, but we just feel more comfortable at DLH.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

We have stayed at the Tropcana due to it being accross the street, and the cost being less. The service was ok too. Any other offsite hotel anyone recommend? We also have stayed at the Portafino which was nice but a bit off a walk.
                Dave

Comment

I'm staying at the DLH with the Boy Wonder for the very first time at the end of November. Should I request a particular tower or is that just randomly assigned? I don't even know where the check-in is! ) Can you tell I always stay off-site?

I didn't opt for concierge level since there's no way the Boy and I will consume $100 worth of snacks and drinks while we're there, but I would like to make it as magical as possible for him.

Any hints or suggestions from those who have stayed at the DLH before?

Comment

Originally posted by bigwavedave View Post
                    We have stayed at the Tropcana due to it being accross the street, and the cost being less. The service was ok too. Any other offsite hotel anyone recommend? We also have stayed at the Portafino which was nice but a bit off a walk.
                    What are you looking for?

Howard Johnson's and the Candy Cane Inn always get great reviews.

The Residence Inn on Disney Way is a good choice if you are looking for Condo type rooms with a full Kitchen including pots and pans, less than a mile walk from the Main Entrance (.8 of a mile).

Sheraton Park and the Doubletree just south of Katella are also new and getting good reviews if you are looking for a hotel with room service.
                    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Be your excited/happytobe there self upon check in. Rooms are randomly assigned, with a little whim of the CM helping you thrown into the randomness.
                      Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

The grand californian is my favorite hotel to stay in. I have no complaints. I would stay there very time if I could afford to.

I don't find any of the hotels "magical" , but if magical means disney characters are shoved in your face every where you look, then no the GCH is not like that. That is the main thing I like about it. The GCH is very relaxing and comfortable. The beds are the best ever!

Comment

At DLR we've stayed both on-site and off over the years. We stayed at the DLH once and I'm glad we did. This was just before the villas were torn down and through the luck of the draw we got one of those rooms. They were orginally build for VIP guests and while showing their age they were huge two room suites and original Disney art including conceptual sketches I'd never seen before decorated the walls..The monorail was still providing one-way service from the hotel over the construction area for DCA. We never get to have exactly that kind of experience again. I'd suggest that at least once you take a room at the Disneyland Hotel. It's a classic experience that is slated for more major changes. maybe you'll make your own special memory.

After that I'd suggest the Howard Johnson, The Candy Cane. You can't go wrong at either one.
                          sigpic The one and only...The Original...
                          :yea:Mountain Man

Comment

The off site hotels I like the most are the hyatt and crowne plaza.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X