• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philosofy
    replied
    Re: Po' Folks

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post

I should mention...I've read in a few business papers about the plans coming for the former Movieland site next door. It's fairly clear that the firm that wishes to build a new lifestyle center there would also take over the land that PoFolks sits on...so, not to be alarmist, but I'd go now if you want to experience this place.

I dont think you're being alarmist at all. Apparently Buena Park now owns the land and probably wants "higher, better" use of the land (read more tax money coming in.)

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...city-developer

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by anaheimgirl79 View Post
    in our family when its your birthday you pick where you want to go for dinner. This last weekend is was my grandmas bday so she picked there. I have never been there and i have lived here all my life. I was a little sketchy but it was good. Pretty much everything on the menu is fried. I got the combo with clams, shrimp, fish and crab cake. I could bearly make a dent in that thing. but it was yummy
    Hopefully your Grandma also had a chance to see all the various antiques. They also have really cool year cards which tell you how much everything cost/what happened in that specific year!

Not much of a dinner person, but they really overload you with food at breakfast!

Leave a comment:

• anaheimgirl79
    replied

in our family when its your birthday you pick where you want to go for dinner. This last weekend is was my grandmas bday so she picked there. I have never been there and i have lived here all my life. I was a little sketchy but it was good. Pretty much everything on the menu is fried. I got the combo with clams, shrimp, fish and crab cake. I could bearly make a dent in that thing. but it was yummy

Leave a comment:

• SpectroMan
    replied

I love this place too. I always order the chicken livers and before any of you yells, "EEW!" they are reaaaallly good! There's so much breading on them, you can't even tell they're liver.

I should mention...I've read in a few business papers about the plans coming for the former Movieland site next door. It's fairly clear that the firm that wishes to build a new lifestyle center there would also take over the land that PoFolks sits on...so, not to be alarmist, but I'd go now if you want to experience this place.

Leave a comment:

• RonNYC
    replied

Originally posted by Xharryb View Post
    I've never been out there, but I'm wondering if this is the same Po Folks that we used to have where I live. Is it a chain? Southern theme? Drinks served in mason jars? If so, I loved that place as a kid. Ours closed years ago.
    Originally posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Wow. I had no idea there were any still open! There was one in Columbus, but it closed down in the mid-80s. I can't even really remember what the food was like, really, but we ate there all the time until they closed...
    I'm with you two. I had no idea this chain still existed. Thanks for bringing back a 20 year old memory! My sister was a waitress at Po' Folks in the late 80s. I still remember their birthday song:

Happy birthday to you today.
    Happy birthday the Po' Folks way.

We're happy to see you
    And glad to say

Happy birthday to you today!

:botox:

Leave a comment:

• mickeyandme67
    replied

Po'Folks fried chicken, their specialty, is way better than Mrs Knotts fried chicken IMO. I've had both in the last month and there was no comparison. That fact, coupled with the idea that last Saturday night at around 8pm, when I went to Po'Folks, there was no wait for a table. Once you are seated and you order your chicken, it takes awhile so be aware... they cook each order as it comes in! It arrives at your table, hot, hot, hot with the juices sealed in perfectly. Wow. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Leave a comment:

• BDBopper
    replied

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
    It is basically one long block north of Knott's Berry Farm on Beach Blvd, across the street from Medieval Times and the Pirates Dinner Adventure.

If you use surface streets from the DLR Parking Structure (Ball Road West to Beach Blvd North), it is just under 7 miles.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1708609

And here is a link to the Po' Folks Buena Park website...

http://www.pofolksbuenapark.com/
    Oh my gosh. That was like taking a trip back in time to Atlanta in 1992 when I was 10. When the chain changed names (and I think ownership too) things have changed. It's still good but not as good as it was when I was a kid. It looks like like the chain did back in its glory days...except that a few things have been added to the menu. Ahhh rapture! Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• Darkbeer
    replied

Originally posted by BDBopper View Post
    How far is it from Disneyland?
    It is basically one long block north of Knott's Berry Farm on Beach Blvd, across the street from Medieval Times and the Pirates Dinner Adventure.

If you use surface streets from the DLR Parking Structure (Ball Road West to Beach Blvd North), it is just under 7 miles.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1708609

And here is a link to the Po' Folks Buena Park website...

http://www.pofolksbuenapark.com/

Leave a comment:

• BDBopper
    replied

How far is it from Disneyland?

Leave a comment:

• drb
    replied

Originally posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    yes they offer sweet tea... most people don't order it though...
    Well, *I* do!

When there's a long wait for a table, they put out a dispenser full of sweet tea and paper cups in the waiting area.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

My little ones always have a hard time eating there because they are always patiently waiting for the model train to make it's rounds. They're 5,4, and 2.5 and there is always a tremendous cheer when they see it. The food portions are HUGE, even for the kid's meals... they try to finish but never quite make it.

I also love the peg game they leave on the table.

Leave a comment:

• Snow_White_Raven
    replied

yes they offer sweet tea... most people don't order it though...

Leave a comment:

• BDBopper
    replied

WOW!!! That brings back memories. More then ten years ago Po'Folks changed its name to Folks before the 1996 Olympics (out here where the chain was based). I think the Po'Folks you are talking about is one of the restaurants that did not change the name and split off from the chain that is now Folks Southern Kitchen. Southern comfort food at its finest and best! My favorite restaurant. I used to go there every birthday when I was a kid. Every place has their own goofy Birthday song and they sang to me a Birthday song to the tune of "Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah." Their Mississippi Mudd Pie was heaven on pie crust! Mmmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about it all! LOL

Got a question...a dumb one...but a question nonetheless...Since this is Southern Comfort food...do they go all the way and offer Sweet Tea?
    Last edited by BDBopper; 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

While in college I worked at Disney and had an AP to Knotts... couple friends worked at Knotts and had Disney AP's. When we skipped class we usually had breakfast at Po Folks. Now, years later, I enjoy taking my kids to Po Folks... and the "kids meal" even has HUGE portions! When you order, order small, because they come at you with a lot of food.

For anyone in the Oceanside/SD area that likes Mexican food I would also have to recommend Colima's... they have one by the pier in Oceanside and one outside the gates of Miramar Air Base. Same story, virtual hole-in-the-wall that you would drive right past but great food and really cheap prices.

Leave a comment:

• Faeriegodmother
    replied

Yes locals eat there. We live close enough to walk. Breakfasts are the best.

Leave a comment:

• Neverlandtink
    replied

I love Po Folks because it's the only place I know of (in my orbit) that sells black eyed peas... and they're delicious! We used to have one in San Diego, but it's long gone now. Is there one near Disneyland, or just Knotts?

Leave a comment:

• Limoman
    replied

For years I have passed this place up..maybe it's time to give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• Darkbeer
    replied

Had dinner last night at Po' Folks, had the Famous Combo, and the ribs were AWESOME, the chicken and Chicken Fried Steak were also great!!!

But the ribs, something you would expect to spend 3 times the amount on, and it was just "part" of the combo..... Can't go wrong at this place!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• GhostHostJeff
    replied

Here is my little experience at that restaurant.

We were waiting outside the restaurant when about 6 cop cars stopped right in front of the restaurant. The man they were chasing came out of the car with a gun pointed at a child he was holding. The cops told us all to duck down. I ducked under a bench. It was one of the craziest moments of my life. But the food is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Big D
    replied

I ate there once like 15 years ago and got sick, so I've never been back. If you're inside Knott's then Johnny Rocket's is the best if it's not too crowded, otherwise TGI Friday's or Claim Jumper are even better!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X