Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

DISNEY RESPONDS TO CRITICISM FROM ABIGAL DISNEY

Disney has responded to Abigail's recent comments and they can be discussed in this thread - https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...neyland-resort
2 of 2 < >

MICECHAT COMMUNITY RULES

See more
See less

How to use Priceline to your advantage in Anaheim

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to use Priceline to your advantage in Anaheim

Originally posted by GoofyWife View Post
    Be careful when going below 3 stars. Several years ago, we got the Jolly Roger!! I'm not sure if they are still a Priceline participant or not. If not, then I'd do it but if so, I'd only do it our of desperation. I gave them a horrible review on my survey. Hopefully Priceline pulled them.
    Yeah, it hasn't shown up as a winning bid on Bidding for travel or better bidding since 2005 as far as I can see, but that could be because everyone just bids for 3 stars. It is a 2 1/2 star. I think because the weekend rates are so high you are much more likely to get a Holiday Inn or be upgraded, what I do before I bid every time on priceline is look at the rates offered on the hotel websites whoever is lowest is generally who will pick up-- not always but usually. I'm sure the big hotels pick up more often around Disneyland simply because that's how Priceline works, help fill vacant rooms. I suppose the worst thing they could do to me is give me the Jolly Roger lol--but all the rest I'd be happy with in that range. Also we're just not picky and at least the Jolly Roger is within walking distance, does have a fridge available (for $10 charge) and you can use the neighboring Portofino's jacuzzi lol.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

Originally posted by 50sjayne View Post
      Yeah, it hasn't shown up as a winning bid on Bidding for travel or better bidding since 2005 as far as I can see, but that could be because everyone just bids for 3 stars. It is a 2 1/2 star. I think because the weekend rates are so high you are much more likely to get a Holiday Inn or be upgraded, what I do before I bid every time on priceline is look at the rates offered on the hotel websites whoever is lowest is generally who will pick up-- not always but usually. I'm sure the big hotels pick up more often around Disneyland simply because that's how Priceline works, help fill vacant rooms. I suppose the worst thing they could do to me is give me the Jolly Roger lol--but all the rest I'd be happy with in that range. Also we're just not picky and at least the Jolly Roger is within walking distance, does have a fridge available (for $10 charge) and you can use the neighboring Portofino's jacuzzi lol.
      I'm not super picky but I expect a clean room free from creepy crawlies. The Jolly Roger wasn't very clean and there were ants crawling in the bathroom. Also, they had replaced the wall A/C unit and the newer one wasn't as large as the original hole. They didn't do anything to fill in the gaps and little trickles of light filtered in day and night.
      Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

Comment

Originally posted by GoofyWife View Post
        I'm not super picky but I expect a clean room free from creepy crawlies. The Jolly Roger wasn't very clean and there were ants crawling in the bathroom. Also, they had replaced the wall A/C unit and the newer one wasn't as large as the original hole. They didn't do anything to fill in the gaps and little trickles of light filtered in day and night.
        Well I just googled it on priceline--looks like it has been downgraded to a 2 star so I'd be safe. They can't downgrade you-- only upgrade My strategy is to start bidding for a 2 1/2 star as soon as Priceline lets me for $40. Once a day. I'm more than a year out right now. I would think in a year of faithful bidding they'll give me something in the 2 1/2 to 3 star range for $40. If it hasn't happened within 3 months of my dates I'll go to $45. Wouldn't want to go any more than that because of the chance of upgrade/parking fees and higher taxes on the 3 star hotels. I will have a cancellable back up-- probably the Motel 6 on Disney Way. I am just itching right now-- wish Priceline would let me bid lol.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

I've never used Priceline. I've done Hotwire before and got pretty good rates on rental cars in Florida. I've always been afraid of what I'd get from Priceline, since you don't know what it is until you've paid. and I AM super picky!
          Can you specify what you want, like room service, fridge, etc.?
          sigpic....If you can dream it, you can do it.--Walt Disney

Em Eye See, Kay Eee Why, Em Oh You Es Eee!

Are you a Disney Goddess? Me too! Check out my new T-shirt design here:

http://www.zazzle.com/Disney_goddess...88578286472471

Comment

Originally posted by MouseGoddess View Post
            I've never used Priceline. I've done Hotwire before and got pretty good rates on rental cars in Florida. I've always been afraid of what I'd get from Priceline, since you don't know what it is until you've paid. and I AM super picky!
            Can you specify what you want, like room service, fridge, etc.?
            No. But with certain websites you can be reasonably sure of what you'll get. I am a little more picky now since we have been using priceline for the past 3-4 years now though. I expect a higher quality than your average roadside Inn... I want elevators, jacuzzis, amenities, a hairdryer and coffee in the room lol. The fridge is the trickiest part in the Disneyland area but we have survived with an ice chest before... wouldn't mind 'roughing' it for Disneyland I guess. I certainly wouldn't use priceline for disneyland if we weren't going during the dreaded spring break phenomenon, when the price of hotel rooms fo 'soarin'
            That's just our only time period, we have to wait a year for my husbands vacation which doesn't come up till January and my son is autistic, pulling him out of school is not in his best interest. My only hope is that with Easter next year being April 12th, that last full week of March won't be the actual worst spring break in history at Disneyland. I'm thinking a 5 day Mon through Friday won't be too bad. If they stick us farther out somewhere that'd be ok too because we will be driving.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

You must be in / near Cal. I live in Phoenix, so we drive to DL too. I've driven to WDW before, several times, when I was in my 20's. Wouldn't do it now. That's why I look for web sites that offer deals on flights, cars and hotels. Somehow, I always end up using Expedia for the flight. My last trip didn't seem so discounted though. They've started adding fees and such. Does Priceline have flights and all?
              sigpic....If you can dream it, you can do it.--Walt Disney

Em Eye See, Kay Eee Why, Em Oh You Es Eee!

Are you a Disney Goddess? Me too! Check out my new T-shirt design here:

http://www.zazzle.com/Disney_goddess...88578286472471

Comment

Originally posted by MouseGoddess View Post
                You must be in / near Cal. I live in Phoenix, so we drive to DL too. I've driven to WDW before, several times, when I was in my 20's. Wouldn't do it now. That's why I look for web sites that offer deals on flights, cars and hotels. Somehow, I always end up using Expedia for the flight. My last trip didn't seem so discounted though. They've started adding fees and such. Does Priceline have flights and all?
                No I'm in Eugene Oregon, small airport. I actually came across some $78 round trip air tickets last year to LAX from here-- it was a mistake-- and my husband just didn't want to fly. He's afraid of flying and doesn't want to deal with baggage being lost and the rigamarole they put you through at the airport. We'd also have to rent a car-- he's that way, has to have wheels. We also are going to bring food, sandwich stuff etc. And we like to drive-- both of us, we will drive at night and get to Disneyland before opening, thats what we always do.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

I just got the Hyatt Orange County for Saturday, 3/1 for $60.00.

I'm actually really pleased...I had been trying each morning for the past few days and my bids kept getting declined. Maybe it's because we need two rooms this time, but I was a little surprised that the bids for under $60.00 were not accepted.

Last time we stayed at this Hyatt we got a free upgrade to a kids suite..... I'm really hoping it happens again!

Great thread by the way!

Jenn

]

Comment

Originally posted by jenpace View Post

I'm actually really pleased...I had been trying each morning for the past few days and my bids kept getting declined. Maybe it's because we need two rooms this time, but I was a little surprised that the bids for under $60.00 were not accepted.

Last time we stayed at this Hyatt we got a free upgrade to a kids suite..... I'm really hoping it happens again!

Great thread by the way!

Jenn
                    Well you got your own shuttle-- that's gold and I've heard the kids suites have the micro/fridge. ;-)

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

Originally posted by jenpace View Post

Great thread by the way!

Jenn
                      We were upgraded to a family suite the last time, too! Good luck!
                      Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

Comment

I just got the Crowne Plaza for Saturday, 3/1 for $46 dollars. I started at $42, got a counteroffer for $54, used the Anaheim Hills rebid zone and won with $46. Good price for a good hotel....

Comment

Originally posted by DLForever View Post
                          I just got the Crowne Plaza for Saturday, 3/1 for $46 dollars. I started at $42, got a counteroffer for $54, used the Anaheim Hills rebid zone and won with $46. Good price for a good hotel....
                          That is a great price for the Crowne Plaza, even with the $9 a day resort fee. Thanks for sharing your winning bid.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm about to bid for April...anyone have recent bids in April?? And, if so, what did you get for what price?

In December we got the Anaheim Hilton for $50 a night, for a week. It was awesome! Because we are Hilton Honors members, they gave us access to the business center (free bottled water and pop and internet) as well as upgrading to a side that faces the park. I really liked it and hope to get it again, though I have heard the Crowne Plaza is really the best.

Comment

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
                              I'm about to bid for April...anyone have recent bids in April?? And, if so, what did you get for what price?
                              Check biddingfortravel.com to see if anyone has posted any winning bids. I usually like to wait until just about 1 to 2 weeks ahead of time as I seem to get better deals then.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
                                Check biddingfortravel.com to see if anyone has posted any winning bids. I usually like to wait until just about 1 to 2 weeks ahead of time as I seem to get better deals then.
                                Good to know, Lisa. Maybe I will wait til later. I have checked biddingfortravel and people seem to be getting Marriott Anaheim Suites for the week I am going in April. 2 people posted it lately.

Comment

Originally posted by DLForever View Post
                                  Become a priority club member and give them your club number and they will give you a welcome packet with free breakfast and other stuff. I liked this hotel very much! (Minus the free parking)

Comment

Although there are lots of positive stories from people using Priceline, there are are plenty of negative ones of people who got stuck with a hotel they normally wouldn't have chosen themselves. Remember that Priceline's star rating is subjective, and what they consider a top star might be very different from what you consider a top star rating. In my experience, you don't save enough money with Priceline to make it worth the risk of ending up in a hotel you aren't satisfied with. Expedia, Travelocity, Cheaphotels, and Orbitz are all usually within $10 - $30 per night of what Priceline can offer, and it's absolutely worth it just for peace of mind to pay a litle extra and know exactly what you're getting, AND have the ability to cancel if necissary. So buyer beware, the better the deal the bigger risk you take to get it.
                                    Disneyland Cast Member
                                    Outdoor Vending
                                    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by dscherer View Post
                                      Although there are lots of positive stories from people using Priceline, there are are plenty of negative ones of people who got stuck with a hotel they normally wouldn't have chosen themselves. Remember that Priceline's star rating is subjective, and what they consider a top star might be very different from what you consider a top star rating. In my experience, you don't save enough money with Priceline to make it worth the risk of ending up in a hotel you aren't satisfied with. Expedia, Travelocity, Cheaphotels, and Orbitz are all usually within $10 - $30 per night of what Priceline can offer, and it's absolutely worth it just for peace of mind to pay a litle extra and know exactly what you're getting, AND have the ability to cancel if necissary. So buyer beware, the better the deal the bigger risk you take to get it.
                                      You can cancel with Expedia, Travelocity, Cheaphotels and Orbitz????

Comment

Remember that Priceline's star rating is subjective, and what they consider a top star might be very different from what you consider a top star rating
                                        That is why you don't bid blindly - and you use the resources outlined here to help understand what hotels are likely to hit for a certain star rating.

In my experience, you don't save enough money with Priceline to make it worth the risk of ending up in a hotel you aren't satisfied with.
                                        Correct - if you are unwilling to give up control for a significant price break - then these systems are not for you. But the price savings are upwards of 50% and no, orbitz, and the others can not come close to these rates. Its up to the individual if they are willing to spend 25-30% more for 'piece of mind'. However the point is, if you do your research you can within reason get a good idea of what you can get.

Comment

To some extent, I agree. I used to get the BEST deals in CA back when Priceline first started. Like $25 - $35, which included the Marriott and what was then known as the Westcoast Anaheim. (the Marriott was my favorite). Back between 1998 - 2000, I flew to DL often.

This trip, I debated using Priceline - but ended up at a BW that has decent reviews for $65 per night through using Kayak. The cancellation penalties aren't bad. It does pay to do research, I've gotten some GREAT deals - more in the distant past - through PL. But these days, I can often find just as good a deal on my own - and I like knowing where I'll be staying. Also, you never know what hidden fees (like resort fees) might be added onto the PL stay.
                                          Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                          I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                                          on Bay Lake.

Comment

Working...
                                          X