This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to use Priceline to your advantage in Anaheim

I've been researching rooms for the Disneyland for about 7 months now. If I were going off season I would just call and get a good rate on a reasonable hotel/motel I wanted but since our plans changed and we have decided spring break next year is when we are going, I will use Priceline. I've also been watching the bidding for travel site for that long and know what people get. I'd have to disagree with the poster who was negative about Priceline, first of all the room rating system is usually below what another site ranks a hotel, their 3 stars are generally 4 stars on most other sites etc. And-- I generally only pay about 1/3 of what any other website or hotels own site offers. For example, 3 days ago I got a Residence Inn in Downtown Portland Oregon for $45 (4/11-13)-- the best rate you can find on any other site including it's own is $139. There is a single priceline fee when you bid for no matter how many days you bid on-- I think it is about $7. If the hotel charges for parking, internet-- then you pay those optional fees-- I have never paid for parking at hotels that charge however, I have always found street parking without a problem. If a hotel charges a resort fee-- you do pay that, just like everyone else that stays there. You'd pay the same fees on orbitz or any other site. I do not recommend bidding on priceline if you are not willing to study the previous bidding on sites like better bidding or bidding for travel, and read the hotel FAQS on BFT. It's not for everyone. But it's fun-- and highly addictive if you like to travel ;-)

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

I think the price quotes on hotwire include ALL fees - though I'm not sure about PL. Typically I use hotwire as it's a more of a hybrid, but I've used PL successfully at Anaheim specifically. PL takes research to work well.. hotwire you can use more blindly as it doesn't have a bid process.
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I'm not saying I don't like Priceline, I'm just saying be careful. And yes, depending on the hotel and what kind of a rate you're getting, it is sometimes possible to cancel on oribtz, travelocity, etc. And I'm sure that you can sometimes get lucky and get 50% lower on Priceline than you can on any other site, but you can also sometimes get 50% lower on another site then Priceline can get as well. It just depends on your travel dates, the specific hotel, and whether there's anything going on that weekend (convention, holiday, etc.). On average (from my own personal experience only) Priceline is typically close to the cost of other hotels, but occasionally there is a large desparity one way or the other. Again, it just depends on what you're willing to accept.
        Disneyland Cast Member
        Outdoor Vending
        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by dscherer View Post
          I'm not saying I don't like Priceline, I'm just saying be careful. And yes, depending on the hotel and what kind of a rate you're getting, it is sometimes possible to cancel on oribtz, travelocity, etc. And I'm sure that you can sometimes get lucky and get 50% lower on Priceline than you can on any other site, but you can also sometimes get 50% lower on another site then Priceline can get as well. It just depends on your travel dates, the specific hotel, and whether there's anything going on that weekend (convention, holiday, etc.). On average (from my own personal experience only) Priceline is typically close to the cost of other hotels, but occasionally there is a large desparity one way or the other. Again, it just depends on what you're willing to accept.
          With the Priceline regular rates I have seen it just about the same as other sites, Orbitz and travelocity. But most of us on here use Priceline "name your own price" and usually get a rate at about 40 to 50% cheaper than regular Priceline or other travel sites.
          sigpic

Comment

I've never paid more than $37 a night and have NEVER
            had a problem getting a hotel, even though most of the
            reservations were made only a week in advance, And
            much of the time it was during peak seasons, around
            New Years and Middle of July, and pretty much every
            other month of the year.

You do have to be aware of which hotels are which star
            level, and there is a constantly updated list from feedback
            of people who do use Priceline at biddingfortravel dot com.

Also some higher star level hotels do charge for parking,
            the room only guarantees one room/one bed for capcity
            of 2, when you name your own price, so if you have kids,
            you may need a second room. so do some research
            before you name your own price. and if you are concerned
            that you may cancel your trip, dont bid since it's not
            refundable. I'm sure I've saved thousands of dollars using
            priceline! It's a good thing, just do your research on
            the details!

If your more picky and want 4 and 5 star hotels all the time,
            then of course, be prepared to pay more, or not always
            get reservations. But for me, a hotel room just needs to
            be clean, and a place to sleep. I don't want or need a
            resort/spa to sleep at, as most of my time spent at the
            hotel is only for sleeping. I don't care about superfluous
            amenities.
            Last edited by Aladdin; 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM.
            Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
            An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
            Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
            Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

We just got the Hilton Suites for $50 last weekend. I love this hotel. Free parking, all suites and very quiet. I was actually surprised we got it for so low given that it was Spring Break and the B-Ball tourney was going on at The Pond.

Comment

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
                Good to know, Lisa. Maybe I will wait til later. I have checked biddingfortravel and people seem to be getting Marriott Anaheim Suites for the week I am going in April. 2 people posted it lately.
                The Marriott Suites is my favorite. We got that once and it was awesome.

Comment

I got two rooms at the Anabella for April 25th and 26th tonight for 82.00 each. I started my bidding at 50.00 with 3.5 stars that bid was rejected. After changing my bid to 60.00 and stars to 2.5 it was still rejected. I then deleated my cookies and history and bid again with 3.5 stars and 65.00. This time I was told if I raised my bid by 17.00 there might be somthing. It worked but, should I've just re-bid to 70 or 75? Did I do the right thing?
                  Last edited by Skywaygrl; 03-24-2008, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I don't take their rebid advice because you know its the price THEY want, not what you want.

I would have tried to free rebid by expanding the areas with an area that didn't include any hotels of the rating you were going for

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by Skywaygrl View Post
                      This time I was told if I raised my bid by 17.00 there might be somthing. It worked but, should I've just re-bid to 70 or 75? Did I do the right thing?
                      I would recommend first reading the biddingfortravel.com FAQ as I think they have the best suggestions on getting the best price. According to their FAQ the highest star rating priceline has in the Disneyland area is 3*. Also they suggest never taking the offered re-bid price and to just rebid with new zones that do not have the * rating you want or to wait the 24 hours and start a new bidding session.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes to all of the above 3 posts, but the Anabella is a rare priceline win and I think she did pretty well for $81. And yes-- when you get a Priceline offer like that, usually half of what they ask is good enough. You could have waited 24 hours and tried that-- you probably would have got it. Anyways THANKS for posting your win-- like i said people rarely bid 2 1/2 and I think Anabella is an awesome win for your price. You can't find it that cheap on any other internet sites that I've seen and it's a great hotel.

*update-- I checked around for your dates and found $82 on 3 different sites, I don't know if you did your homework or not but I checked around to see rates for the Holiday Inn on Walnut that shows up more often for that star category and found it more expensive on all sites except one for the same price as you bid so you could have very well overbid extrememley for that Holiday Inn- you just got lucky. I'm sure the Anabella could be had cheaper for those dates on Priceline if anyone else is interested in the information.
                        Last edited by 50sjayne; 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

I used Priceline for the first time and got the Anaheim Hilton for $46 for April 19/20 (Sat/Sun) on my third free rebid. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! It really helped me to understand adding the zones without three-star hotels to get free rebids.

Micechatters seem to like the Anaheim Hilton, but it gets horrible reviews on tripadvisor.

I'm wondering if I'll regret using Priceline, but the 3-star hotels I checked were all charging $100+/night for that weekend. Even paying the parking fee for Hilton, I did better with Priceline.

I'm just a little nervous about the bad reviews I read on tripadvisor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanda Woman View Post
                            I used Priceline for the first time and got the Anaheim Hilton for $46 for April 19/20 (Sat/Sun) on my third free rebid. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! It really helped me to understand adding the zones without three-star hotels to get free rebids.

Micechatters seem to like the Anaheim Hilton, but it gets horrible reviews on tripadvisor.

I'm wondering if I'll regret using Priceline, but the 3-star hotels I checked were all charging $100+/night for that weekend. Even paying the parking fee for Hilton, I did better with Priceline.

Well, just be sure to give us some reviews and maybe a few pictures ;-) I have always found being very friendly with your check in person helps with room quality ;-) Never be afraid to ask for a room with a view-- or ask how much an upgrade would be.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

I've stayed at both the Hilton and the Marriott right there extensively over the years for tradeshows at the convention center. I've never had a problem with either.

It's about a 20min walk from there up to the main gate. I like the walk because it gives me an excuse to not be so lazy.. and you walk right by 7-11 which gives you a chance to load up on water and munchies for your backpack for the day in the park.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

That is great! I ended up on Kayak, getting one of the Best Westerns for this coming week at $65 per night (which was a fantastic rate). I couldn't find as cheap on Priceline.
                                Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                                on Bay Lake.

Comment

I had a great stay at the Hilton last December via Priceline. No complaints whatsoever, but I can see why there might be bad reviews at Tripadvisor. I would *not* recommend the Hilton at rack rates. At Priceline prices, it's great. But it's definitely not worth rack rates, especially when compared to other hotels in the area. I just did a quick check on the Hilton site...$179/night was the lowest rate I could get. It's definitely not worth that.

Originally posted by 50sjayne View Post
                                  I have always found being very friendly with your check in person helps with room quality ;-) Never be afraid to ask for a room with a view-- or ask how much an upgrade would be.
                                  I second this suggestion. I asked nicely at check-in if any Disney-view rooms were available and the desk agent got one for me at no additional cost. It's all subject to availability and probably their mood at the time but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Armadillo4 View Post
                                    I had a great stay at the Hilton last December via Priceline. No complaints whatsoever, but I can see why there might be bad reviews at Tripadvisor. I would *not* recommend the Hilton at rack rates. At Priceline prices, it's great. But it's definitely not worth rack rates, especially when compared to other hotels in the area. I just did a quick check on the Hilton site...$179/night was the lowest rate I could get. It's definitely not worth that.

I second this suggestion. I asked nicely at check-in if any Disney-view rooms were available and the desk agent got one for me at no additional cost. It's all subject to availability and probably their mood at the time but it doesn't hurt to ask.
                                    Yeah I think that is the thing on trip advisor. It's weird for me to think that people pay rack rate at all-- it is such an obsession with me-- this hotel thing, searching for the greatest bargain. Also there's a lot of people that are just meticulate in their housekeeping and some that have money (how do you get that stuff?) and live in pretty nice homes. Thats not us! Lol. I have 13 cats (spayed and neutered, rescued from ethanasia or trapped former ferals) and have an orange bathroom and a maroon house. Dumb husband insist I pick out the paint-- that's what happens-- I'm just not domestic. Actually people like the house ;-)

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

Originally posted by Skywaygrl View Post
                                      I got two rooms at the Anabella for April 25th and 26th
                                      Hope you didn't forget about the 19th too.
                                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I am planning a trip for after Mother's Day. When do you think would be a good time to try and get a room from Priceline?

Comment

• Re: How to use Priceline to your advantage in Anaheim

Originally posted by Nor Cal Tinkfan View Post
                                          I am planning a trip for after Mother's Day. When do you think would be a good time to try and get a room from Priceline?
                                          Start as soon as possible, all you have to do is wait 24 hours to bid again.

Bobby. RIP '95-2008

Comment

Working...
                                          X