X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kritter
    replied
    Re: Chinese food near DL - Recommendations?

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Guh? Is that the one across the street from Kung Fu Panda Wok? (mulan express is for real??)
    It's in Tustin and is across from Cafe China Super Buffet which is okay...

but Mulan Express is for real

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by Kritter View Post
    Not really "near" Disneyland, but I live right by Mulan Express.

Best Chinese Food I have ever had!

Guh? Is that the one across the street from Kung Fu Panda Wok? (mulan express is for real??)

Leave a comment:

• Kritter
    replied

Not really "near" Disneyland, but I live right by Mulan Express.

Best Chinese Food I have ever had!

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

I knew the owners of Ming Delight and only eaten there once, but it was Good! Don't know what happened. I can find out though.

Leave a comment:

• drb
    replied

Originally posted by Dusty88 View Post
    I remember going to a Chinese food place as a kid back around 92 I guess. There used to be a mini golf right next to it and I remember it being right by our hotel (which at the time was the Desert Inn.) Am I imagining this or does anyone older perhaps remember this combination within the direct area of DL? (Sorry if it's slightly off topic.)
    Looking at amateur Disneyland-area restaurant guides that I did in 1996 and 1999, there was a little hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant at 1770 S Harbor, on the NE corner at Katella, called China Doll in 1996 and changed to Panda Kitchen in 1999. I don't remember if it's still there or not. And just a half-block past Harbor was the large Ming Delight Chinese Restaurant at 409 W Katella, sadly defunct now.

Hmm. I miss the Anaheim Orient Express on Ball at 1055 W Ball, just north of Disneyland. Chinese restaurant in a caboose! Ooh, look, I still have a business card from there!

Leave a comment:

• Dusty88
    replied

I remember going to a Chinese food place as a kid back around 92 I guess. There used to be a mini golf right next to it and I remember it being right by our hotel (which at the time was the Desert Inn.) Am I imagining this or does anyone older perhaps remember this combination within the direct area of DL? (Sorry if it's slightly off topic.)

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Magic Wok
    LOL, I'd avoid a chinese restaurant named Magic Wok just based on principle!

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Restaurant inspection violations: Week ending May 30

La Palma Chicken Pie Shop
    , 928 N. Euclid St., Anaheim; cockroach infestation; permit suspended May

Shocking! Well, not so much...the place has really gone down the tubes....not sure if you've seen it....looks like heck...... :lol:I'll have to let my Aunt Sheila know....as she worked there in the mid/late 1970's when she was going to Anaheim High School.........it was much cleaner then.....we used to get pies from there all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Name it so we can all avoid it!
    Magic Wok

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Originally posted by drb View Post
    But the O.C. Register put up their own database of Orange County inspection scores which you can find here:

http://www.ocregister.com/article/or...ons-violations

and

http://www.ocregister.com/sections/r...tions-1984225/
    (Under "Latest Violations" at the bottom)
    Restaurant inspection violations: Week ending May 30

La Palma Chicken Pie Shop, 928 N. Euclid St., Anaheim; cockroach infestation; permit suspended May 28.
    :beg:

These guys should know better than this. They're already an endangered species, at their age. Hopefully this will put a fire under their feet to do right.

Leave a comment:

• KsfCptnAwesome
    replied

China Wall, it's on Brookhurst and Ball. Its the best Chinese Food I've ever had and they have the best water ever. FYI its cash only.

Leave a comment:

• drb
    replied

PF Changs - might be pricier, but I think it's 'safe' - and I mention that because I got food poisoning from a Chinese take out place near my house........
    I wish Orange County would have the same posting of Health Inspection grades that Los Angeles County and many others do. I'd see a "C" grade posted in a window and I can go on the internet and see a list of their violations, which lets me know that, no, I don't think I want to go there. So I'm looking right now at the last inspection report of a Chinese restaurant that I used to go to, and they only got a 66/100, with violations including improper holding of pre-heated foods (major violation), improper handwashing (major), cockroaches (major), food storage, improperly cleaned, impure food, not maintained clean, no hot water, etc etc... nope, didn't sound like what's for dinner, so I knew to avoid it. They closed a few months after that inspection, but that was three months that, because I checked first, I knew not to go there anymore.

But in Orange County, all you know walking in is, well, it's not currently shut down. Total crapshoot, and no incentive for the restaurants to try to do better, hence more random bouts of food poisoning.

But the O.C. Register put up their own database of Orange County inspection scores which you can find here:

http://www.ocregister.com/article/or...ons-violations

and

http://www.ocregister.com/sections/r...tions-1984225/
    (Under "Latest Violations" at the bottom)

and avoid any of these:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/o...ons-violations
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/o...ons-violations

The official L.A. County site is

http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...ting/index.cfm

San Diego County's site is

http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/FFIS/

San Bernadino County's is

http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/d...s/default.aspx

There was a Riverside County one, but the bookmark I had doesn't work now. It may have moved, or the site's down.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

PF Changs - might be pricier, but I think it's 'safe' - and I mention that because I got food poisoning from a Chinese take out place near my house........

Name it so we can all avoid it!

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mapmaster
    replied

The closest restaurants are in the shopping center on the northwest corner of Euclid Street and Crescent (1.5 mi north on the I-5 freeway from Disneyland, right turn onto Euclid, left turn on Crescent, right turn into the shopping center).

The Ten Ten Seafood Restaurant there underwent a change in management, refurbished the place, and I noticed some improvements in the menu and service there. It's not a huge restaurant but it offers much of what you would expect from a full service Chinese Restaurant. The Dim Sum offerings may be missing a few items of what you may expect from the larger restaurants in Rowland Heights or Monterey Park/Alhambra.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by fkurucz View Post
    Do they have any of those Buddhas in the restaurant? Or does the the places have a "sharia" look & feel?

It's definitely more islamic in its theming.

Leave a comment:

• fkurucz
    replied

I went to my favorite chinese place in OC again sunday night and had a great meal, and enough for a superb microwave leftover meal the next evening.

MA'S ISLAMIC CHINESE! On Orangethorpe just east of Harbor.
    601 E Orangethorpe Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92801
    (714) 446-9553

And as Trekkie Dad said, there's no pork. I would actually advise against Sweet & Sour Chicken here though. it's very standard and not as good as everything else.
    Do they have any of those Buddhas in the restaurant? Or does the the places have a "sharia" look & feel?

Leave a comment:

• nish221
    replied

I'm married to a lady from Hong Kong (who's family is super picky about Chinese food) and here's my acquired (over the years) two cents...

* PF Changs' is over-priced, but some items are good/delicious, but it *isn't* authentic Chinese!
    * Most American-Chinese restaurants aren't authentic either (they might be good though!)
    * We tend to go to Westminster area when we're down in LA for "authentic."
    * There're several "Ma's Restaurant" which is islamic/western chinese here in the Bay Area as well... maybe a small chain? They are all similar but slightly different. Their scallion pancake is quite good.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by honeymom View Post
    PF Changs is overpriced, but is defintely more authentic than what I remember of Chin Chin (isn't that the place known for its salad). PF Chang does better on the appetizers than the entrees and does a great hot and sour soup. If you do go to PF Chang, make a meal from the appetizers and save some money.

That definitely is true. Chin Chin is just awful.

Leave a comment:

• honeymom
    replied

PF Changs is overpriced, but is defintely more authentic than what I remember of Chin Chin (isn't that the place known for its salad). PF Chang does better on the appetizers than the entrees and does a great hot and sour soup. If you do go to PF Chang, make a meal from the appetizers and save some money.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X