X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hotel Manager Seeks Advice

- free internet? CHECK
    - free parking? CHECK

Those are the important easy to apply uniform items. The ones that are more service oriented

- pleasant staff at the front desk - these are typically the only people many people interact with. Helpful, show me the map and where the room is, suggest best parking spot, offer help for bags if needed, ask if I want to know the food, pool or shuttle times. Don't act like I dragged you away from your favorite TV show to check me in.

- clean common areas (no trash or worn out carpets) and no funk in the elevator/hallway. If you have a pool, keep the deck and pool free of trash/debris

In the room
    - ensure iron+board is functional and maintained
    - TV picture is clear - premiums aren't really required as long as you have equivalent expanded basic cable (espn, tlc, tbs, tnt, etc)
    - clean shower! If it looks leftover from the 60s.. rebuild it
    - 4 pillows on the bed and a decent mattress

That would be my criteria. Breakfast stuff is nice, but not required. I find the continental most places is so limited its not worth bothering. Maybe offer drinks (coffee/tea/soda/water)

Some perks you could consider
    - pool hours as someone mentioned - given your focus on Disney.. keep later hours on the pool if insurance allows
    - free bottled water in the hotel rooms

I've never had a problem with a Choice hotel in the past, so I'm sure your baseline is pretty good already. Increasing your exposure and PARTICIPATION on sites like these can go a long way to getting referral business and getting direct bookings rather then hoping for floating to the top in a hotels/expedia/travelocity search.

Good luck with it!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

OH! And microwaves. lol
      Our room didn't have one, but my mother thought it might be something that came with a more expensive room.

She also suggested (I told her about this thread over the phone) that you might look into making MORE of the bunkbed suites. We would have been happy to book one and let the monster have his own TV to watch cartoons all night, but they were all booked.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangel View Post
        OH! And microwaves. lol
        Our room didn't have one, but my mother thought it might be something that came with a more expensive room.

She also suggested (I told her about this thread over the phone) that you might look into making MORE of the bunkbed suites. We would have been happy to book one and let the monster have his own TV to watch cartoons all night, but they were all booked.
        Yeah, I noticed how popular our bunk bed suites are. That's something we'll keep in mind (as funds allow )

Comment

Same with the microwaves. We're actually renovating all the rooms in January adding in new sofas, night stands, head boards, curtains, and the works Once I get that thing settled, I'll be looking into the microwaves in each room.

The Suites have Microwaves in them, but when microwaves are about $50/each, I don't see why we can't have microwaves in the rest of the rooms.

Right now we allow guests to use the microwave in the breakfast room 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
            Some perks you could consider
            - pool hours as someone mentioned - given your focus on Disney.. keep later hours on the pool if insurance allows
            - free bottled water in the hotel rooms

I'm looking into the city code for outdoor pools and keeping them open. I must agree that being able to hang out in the jacuzzi late at night would feel sooooo good.

I'll be juggling the idea about the water bottle. Maybe instead of having water bottles in each room, maybe have them at the front desk?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffersonKim View Post
              I'll be juggling the idea about the water bottle. Maybe instead of having water bottles in each room, maybe have them at the front desk?
              Usually the one bottle in the room restocked by housekeeping is nice enough. That way guests will not 'rip through' a 6 pack, but its still convenient enough.

This is coming from a business traveler though - if the main demographic is families I can see how this one may be harder to pull off. But 1-2 bottles may be a middle ground.

I know many would wish we'd all buy the $2 sodas in the vending machines where they are making like 90% profit - but it just gets so absurd its starts to anger you when that's all a property offers.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I like the free water bottle but for ease of the hotel staff I think if it is kept on ice near the front desk is great, possibly with a selection of fruit. I know the Hilton Suites had this last time we stayed there and it was nice to come back in the afternoon to take a nap and grab an ice cold bottle of water and an apple to snack on in the room before falling asleep.
                sigpic

Comment

I applaude the OP for caring enough to come ask these questions

Comment

Same here, lovewdw.. It's rare that you find this kind of concern for quality and I'm betting the discussion gets him a few referrals & bookings.

JeffersonKim, I have another one for you, although this one is more of a question than advice.. lol
                    I was reading a thread on another site today (sims 2 site "MATY" or moreawesomethanyou) called "Truth Behind Hotel Drinking Glasses".. It shared one of those typical "scare-tactic media"

Comment

I suggest (if possible) that there be plungers available in each bathroom. And not those wimpy "suction cup" plungers. Without saying too much, this is a common concern for me. It's embarrasing having to call, or go to, the front desk and request a plunger, when needed.

(Kinda gross talking about this, I know, but this is something I feel the entire hotel industry could work on, and needs to be brought to the public's attention to request said convenience :whistling )

Comment

eat more fiber...

sorry couldn't resist

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your posts! Thanks for giving me your input.

I just got back from a week long training and I'm playing catch up.

Comment

OUr family stayed years ago at your hotel, and were very dissappointed! We have never taken a second look since then. I wish we were able to change our location for our upcoming trip, but we are directly accross the street. And I think are paying a little less for 8 nights.....and we do have a microwave in the room, so I don't think hubby will switch. But I will definately consider when we book our next visit...sounds great!

Comment

If your going to be offering some kind of in-room dining (not sure) make sure it doesn't end at 11pm.

Most of the hotels in the resort area stop serving room-service and their restaurants close at 11pm. Even on NYE.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Can't tell you how many times I was STARVING for a club sandwich or a salad at 1am only to find I couldn't get one.

When people are hungry, they will gladly pay for over-priced food, 18% tip and delivery charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Momof5 View Post
                                OUr family stayed years ago at your hotel, and were very dissappointed! We have never taken a second look since then. I wish we were able to change our location for our upcoming trip, but we are directly accross the street. And I think are paying a little less for 8 nights.....and we do have a microwave in the room, so I don't think hubby will switch. But I will definately consider when we book our next visit...sounds great!
                                If you check out our website by googling "Comfort Inn Maingate" you'll see we've done some renovations since your stay. Since Spring, we've placed new bedding, including pillow top mattresses, renovated the pool, new carpeting, and increased the bandwidth on our Wireless Network. Not to mention that beginning in mid January, we're completely renovating the rest of the furniture in the room (curtains, night stands, chairs, head boards, picture frames, and dressers.

I'm not exactly sure what your problems were when you stayed, but since the beginning of my management in September 2007, I've been aggressively improving the hotel.

BTW, our Kid's suites have microwaves in them and a separate room with bunk beds.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                  If your going to be offering some kind of in-room dining (not sure) make sure it doesn't end at 11pm.

Most of the hotels in the resort area stop serving room-service and their restaurants close at 11pm. Even on NYE.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Can't tell you how many times I was STARVING for a club sandwich or a salad at 1am only to find I couldn't get one.

When people are hungry, they will gladly pay for over-priced food, 18% tip and delivery charges.
                                  We don't have a restaurant in our facilities, but I'm working on getting a special discounts for our guests with the local food establishments. I'll be sure to look for a 24 hour delivery joint that we can partner with to get you that grub you're starving for, and not overcharge you

Comment

I say have your maids spray Febreze or something, because of the stinky musty smell most hotels have.
                                    Har har har

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X