• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland
    • Oct 2006

July 14, 2009: Orange Stinger

Welcome to a ride that's a tribute to the orange groves and citrus honey production of California.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions
  • mechurchlady
    Banned User
    • Aug 2006

Re: July 14, 2009: Orange Stinger

Could you add photos of the elevator and the double seat swings. Probably too late to get shot of them.

I never rode the version at Knott's because of my weight. The seats were actually very small, anyone how measure them? I would say that at 300 pounds I was too big and that many people in the 200 pound range would have been uncomfortable.

I have rode this once in the last 5 years and a panic attack happened. I have a fear of falling and them seats were not very secure to me. I do Soarin and even lean out of my seat on Soarin' but Stinger scared me to death.

Comment

• jcruise86
      former CM

• Jul 2006

The new version of this ride will be "off the shelf" of a wonderful store. Like carousels & merry-go-rounds, this ride is a classic and I am confident that it will be presented and maintained up to Disney standards. :ap:

Now instead of the fragrant interior of a metal orange, guests will have better views of an attractive coaster, a scenic man-made pond, and many interesting visitors below.

Thanks again, Werner!

Comment

• The Disneylander
        Knows Where His Towel Is
        • Jul 2007

I've been waiting for this article for a long time. Thanks, Warner!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
        HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
        ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
        FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

• danyoung
          Super Old Guy
          • Jan 2005

Thanks for the article, Werner. I've never liked this ride, mainly for the off the shelf nature. I'll reserve judgement on the new version till I see it. But overall I think Disney should have done much better than this.

Comment

• Disguy1955
            Dreaming of Disney...
            • Oct 2008

Thanks for another great yesterland update. I am proud to say that I was on the last flight of the orange stinger last night. I love that ride and will miss it very much. I can't wait until it comes back even better as the silly symphony swings!!
            "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Now I understand that "Blue Sky" means "No limits, nothing is a bad idea, everything is possible," along with "May never happen." But I prefer to define it this way: "Blue Sky = Hope." Unknown Author

Comment

• Katella Gate
              -DL's VIP Entrance
              • Sep 2005

As I see it, the problem for the Orange Stinger is it's only half a good idea. As it is presently configured, guests enter a bleak industrial warehouse to mount a ride that shows off no particular view of anything interesting.

What Disney should have done is enclose the building completely and had a special effects show in the dark... they could have scored big with the youth demographic with that one. Bee kiddie rides with Smell-O-Vision, less so.

This is actually the first time I've seen the inside of the building, and it's telling it has the same aesthetic problems as the Ferris Wheel: Another dreary and claustrophobic loading zone pit. Eisner must have loved it. Reeks of cheap.

Comment

• kcnole
                • Mar 2006

See glimpses of Paradise Pier from the open areas in the orange peel. Hear the sound of bees buzzing (or the sound of screams drowning out the buzzing). Smell the scent of oranges. Feel the wave action of the tilting canopy and the centrifugal force that makes your seat swing out to the side. (The fifth sense is taste, but food and beverages are not allowed on the ride.)
                Oh I'm certain there were some riders who even got to have taste. I know if I were to ride it there's a good chance that I would definitely taste what I had eaten earlier in the day.

Comment

• whoRU
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Apr 2007

I wish they never had this in the park in the first place. At least the new look will not remind me of a huge orange zit on the face of a Disney park.

Comment

• CaptainCM
                    The Magics in the details
                    • Mar 2005

I remember riding on the Stinger during the AP previews in one of the "bee buts". Que Cera Cera!
                    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
                    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
                    "
                    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

Comment

• HighLeveller
                      MiceChatter
                      • Mar 2008

Good article. Being a long-time fan of these kinds of rides, the revamped Silly Symphony Swings is going to be a treat. For a long time now I've wanted to see one of those elevated over the surrounding area. You sort-of got that with Orange Stinger of course but you couldn't see that well at all. The idea was interesting in principle but didn't do so well in practice. I only rode a couple times.

Comment

• D.E.1955
                        �o�Esteban♂
                        • Oct 2007

its kinda gonna be weird without the giant orange but its a good weird
                        When stars are born...They possess a gift or two,
                        one of those is, they have the power to make a wish come true!

Comment

• Princess Victoria
                          • Jan 2008

The Orange Stinger actually smelled of oranges? I rode it a fair number of times since 2007 and I can't seem to recall it smelling that way.

And is Silly Symphony Swings simply going to be the Orange Stinger ride rethemed or is Disney knocking the ride down and installing a brand new one? The one in the concept art looks a lot taller.

Comment

• ralfrick
                            Hopper's Mortal Enemy
                            • Jun 2006

As these kinds of rides go, I always likes these swing rides, especially as a kid. Of course, I can/have ridden at 6 Flags and Paramount parks, the fair, that big mall in Edmonton....

But, maybe more than that is this. By 2001, the boy and I had ridden a few of these rides together, both full size and mini version. But we could not ride the version in a Disney park together because he was only 46" and I weigh around 220.

Can't really add to that.

A bientot.
                            Remember
                            What the dormouse said
                            Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

• Eagleman
                              Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

I glad that Orange Stinger is OUT!
                              and Silly Symphony Swings is coming IN!......

I have ride this couple times for the fun of it..as a swing, same time felt it was so with many things in DCA ,it was so chep!...
                              Also "NO" Disney themeing!

I think Silly Symphony Swings would be a better ride over all and better for the EYES!...Better ride to see others having FUN!

Werner Weiss I glad you have this one!
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                                Curator of Yesterland
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Victoria View Post
                                The Orange Stinger actually smelled of oranges? I rode it a fair number of times since 2007 and I can't seem to recall it smelling that way.
                                When I took a bunch of photos of the ride in 2007, there was no orange scent. I imagine that the orange scent, like the bee seats, was an idea that seemed better in concept than it turned out to be in reality. I don't know how long they pumped the scent into the ride.

Originally posted by Victoria View Post
                                And is Silly Symphony Swings simply going to be the Orange Stinger ride rethemed or is Disney knocking the ride down and installing a brand new one? The one in the concept art looks a lot taller.
                                It should be the same Wave Swinger mechanism, with a major cosmetic makeover.

Concept art and promotional art often exaggerate.

However, in this case, you might be surprised how impressive and large the ride will look once the orange has been peeled away. A 48-seat Wave Swinger really is a large, impressive ride. That's one reason I ran the photo of the 48-seat Wave Swinger at Navy Pier in Chicago. The orange had no sense to scale, so it looked smaller than it really was. And it made the ride look much smaller than it really is.
                                Werner Weiss
                                Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

• Athlonacon
                                  FastPass n00b
                                  • Feb 2005

I had no idea about the Bee Butt seats, those are classic! I'm sorry I never rode it with those... I first rode it back in 2006 I think.

Comment

• kindagoofy
                                    Keeping Disney Solvent
                                    • Mar 2008

Fabulous article. We were in DL for the week spanning our two kids' birthdays (July 9 and 14) and knowing the Stinger was shutting down, I was desparate to get the kids on the ride. We rode it on July 13, unknowing it was the last day of operation.

Comment

• mmeleota
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Aug 2009

My hubby and I were lucky enough to get to ride in the "bee butts" during the preview weekend. What I did not realize, was how quickly the "bee butts" went away...the next time we had gone was a few months later and they were gone...but I had no clue they only lasted a couple of weeks.
                                      I'm a bit of a fraidy cat so I kind of liked being in the orange...less chance of flying off into the water. I am excited for the new swings though...
                                      Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
                                      http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
                                      http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X