This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 18, 2012: Disneyland One Year Old

In honor of the 57th anniversary of Disneyland, here’s an updated version of a Yesterland article originally published in 2007. In addition to the 1956 press release and my commentary, please enjoy some 1956 photos that kind Yesterland readers sent to me.

Please discuss it here
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Originally posted by stamphead View Post
      I always assumed the term 'dark ride' came later.
      When I reread the press release from July 18, 1956, I was surprised by the reference to "the Peter Pan dark ride" too.

In the same paragraph, the Jungle Cruise is the "Jungle River Boat Ride" and the Autopia is the "Autopia Freeway's miniature autos," back when a "Freeway" was something relatively new and futuristic.

Originally posted by press release from July 18, 1956
      Certain of the Park's rides have proved especially popular with the visitors. These have included the Peter Pan dark ride in Fantasyland, the Adventureland Jungle River Boat Ride, the Santa Fe and Disneyland trains, and the Autopia Freeway's miniature autos in Tomorrowland.
      Werner Weiss

Comment

Comment

Werner Weiss

Comment

It's easy enough to be pleasant
            when life hums along like a song.
            But the man worth while
            is the man who can smile
            when everything goes dead wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
              If everything went smoothly, we may be calling July 17th opening day today.
              But we generally do call July 17th Disneyland's opening day today. It's the day that Disneyland uses for the anniversaries of the park's opening. In fact, July 18 is the "forgotten" opening date.
              Werner Weiss

Comment

Comment

VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Last edited by MarkTwain; 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                      This is why I always curious about why the day of DCA's relaunch was considered to be June 15, when the opening for the press was the day before.
                      ...... weeks of previews and days of press proceeded that.

Which is just why I went to see the new DCA on June 16, the day AFTER all the camera set-ups, extra stages and crowd-control ropes were finally removed; The first time the California park actually looked like its new-normal self was on that Saturday morning. Was lovely to see.
                      July 17 will always be the date Walt Disney welcomed the world to step inside his imagination at Disneyland....regardless of accounting schedules.
                      sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                      - - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                      X